• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for a Slayers map.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
Your welcome,

You can also look into Facebook Groups (They should have state/region based role playing groups around.)

Also check your local hobby stores (Check Games Workshop Rogue Traders list of stores for a quick list of stores in your area.) AS they often run events and groups (fees vary) Although for most role playing games they are more than likely going to be something with the RPGA unless there is an unusually large BESM player base to cater to.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote
I couldn't find any after all. Anime cry

Also, I've checked the local ones many times and they only have one D&D group and no BESM. The boyfriend and I are gonna join the D&D group and I'm gonna try and figure out if any of them would be interested in BESM. I meet so many people who would like to play, but they're never in my area (Northeast FL) because I live in the middle of freaking nowhere. But, I guess I'll just have to try starting one.

I'll prolly start looking online for some more BESM books - like the actual rule books. I have a Trigun and Slayers BESM (even the Try expansion) but I'd like to really get into it.

So, if any of you live anywhere between St. Augustine, FL and Kingsland, GA and are interested in getting a BESM group going - message me!

Thanks so much for trying to help. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote
Well the D&D dominance is easy in the hobby stores, it's with the RPGA and is the one usually most thought of when doing structured campaigning. It's a "living" game which has an appeal for some that unfortunately BESM will never get from it's publisher as they are focused on New World of Darkness, although don't despair, you'll find a few open D&D players to try something once.

Last edited by LordRedhand on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Not nearly enough in NE Florida. I wanna cry!!!! I posted info on face book and even downloaded *gasp* some of the books. Not my fault they're outta print and over like $100 online....

I'm so ready to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Well gamers tend to hold onto their books so it makes finding used copies expensive (unless they really don't want it anymore...)

I'd be with you in spirit but Slayers might be a hard sale to a group of D&D players, considering how they can pretty much already do it with some tweaking (adding more of a comedic focus, which is actually harder than it is to type.) So with BESM you would have to focus on the things that D&D struggles with in terms of narratives, Sci-fi being a good example as the BESM (d20 or Tri-Stat) can be used effectively in that setting. Super-heroes can also be a good way to go as well (Think Voltron or Power Rangers) As a first game I'd avoid romance or slice of life kind of role-plays unless your confidant in the groups maturity and willingness to role-play those kind of situations.

Best bet would be to try D&D with them so you can learn what it is they like (and learning new RPG systems makes learning other RPG systems easier) as some are roll players over role players and find what type of stories attract them and how BESM could do it in a slightly different way, or fulfill needs that D&D isn't currently able to.

And when you do get some D&D players interested in BESM be prepared to explain a lot about pretty much everything. Especially character creation (As D&D is more structured and thus more limited in the types of characters they can build, BESM has no restraints.) Best bet would be to give the players pre-gens or have the players select from the template characters that would be appropriate for your game, as having them make their own character is a.) Time consuming which takes away from them trying the game which is what you want. and b) can be overwhelming to someone who is used to D&D structured character creation process.

Normally you'll want to have them accomplish something big (think first episode in an action anime series.) That goes over the combat rules slowly (and maybe lopsided in the players favor, maybe.) as well as skill checks and in general giving the group of a "We are so cool/awesome etc." that they are interested in continuing that trend and playing in that systems sandbox a little more.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm in a D&D group (small) right now and it's a lot of fun. I missed it so much over the past few years that I've been outta it.

Learning to DM is gonna be tough but I'd like to keep it as open as possible for people. If they wanna be all strict about their character creation and stuff, that's fine with me. I just want people to play with.

Also- I'm thinking about allowing a variety of genres/characters - not just Slayers. I'm doing some research on the Internet, trying to find out if people have tried making character sheets and stuff for more recent series like Shakugan no Shana and pretty much anything else. If they haven't, I'm gonna try my hand at making some general characters for people to try playing with that are modeled on like what we would think would be a level one Shana-chan or whatever. I'm thinking that, if people could play their favorite characters or at least find something appealing that was already made up, they could get a feel for the game and the pacing. And I could get some practice DM-ing. Smile

It's just gonna be tough because it's taken almost a year just to get the D&D group going so I don't expect this to happen overnight. It would be nice if it did though.

I'll prolly end up making some kind of Tsubasa Chronicles campaign but with less fail. so, basically anime characters from different universes traveling through different dimensions in order to reach some kind of goal. Definitely not collecting feathers though. Definitely not collecting anything now that I think about it. Ugh. That would be lame. Just think it would be neat to do something like that. and then you could fight the bosses from different series. Kinda do like an Abenobashi deal with the parody and stuff. Could turn out to be pretty entertaining... I have plenty of time to think about it unfortunately.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Well good luck finding pre-made existing characters from existing properties (as everyone has a different opinion on how their versions are the "correct" version.)

And if they are willing to try the full character creation process, like I said be prepared to answer a lot of questions like how do I make x or how do I get x abilities. Also if they have experience with a point based build system you might be careful about "twinking"/logic breaking combination of abilities that a canny BESM player can sneak by the DM.

Some common ones are a Single Shot weapon (like a musket or large revolver) combined with One Shot left.

or what I like the call the Super Milk-chan gun which is a weapon that stacks multiple low armor penetration for deadly effects... if the character in question is good at aiming at making called shots to unarmored portions of the body.

Or the special attack that allows you to destroy any object (including planets) for 4 points. Does nothing against living targets.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote
I was going to try and keep it as close to D&D as possible when creating new stuff at at least for the first few games since most of my target players are playing D&D (speaking of which, because of my BESM advertising, I've gotten 6 new D&D players!). I'm still in the process of reading all the material I've found and it's a lot to learn.

All I know is that I just hit level 2 last night on my Druid in D&D and I'm hating that class. I know Druids get really nasty later on, but man does that character suck right now. I'd rather have the game be more energetic and fun when I host one rather than how my D&D game is progressing right now. It makes me wanna beat my head on the wall.

Also, if people wanna try getting around the rules by "twinking", then I'll just start doing the same for monsters. Smile
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Hmm well escalation is never a good thing (unless they are epic characters than a yes they can handle it normally is the answer there.)

As it's hard to escalate from a they can kill the DM's dragon in one turn... with one character... twice for the DM I had in 3.5 D&D.

As to spell casters, in general they start out weaker to balance themselves out against non-spell caster (and in the Druids case being one of the mixed bag classes, means they don't have a niche to fill if every single role is taken as they can shift focus on to one role to anther but like a jack of all trades can't cover all of them well.) So trading a focus role for more versatility.

But at level 2 your not built up yet (and really no one should be.) If your still playing the Druid that character can grow on you and be better than you expected or not. If not bring it up to your DM they can work with you, maybe you made a mistake and that "awesome" ability didn't turn out as awesome as it was hoped to be or maybe even the class in question just doesn't suit your style of play and can make a build for it. But you should try it a little longer just to "get used" to the class, as some players suffer from "Wow this is cool my old character just isn't cutting it anymore." when presented with new character classes or ideas. There is a way around that too. The Darksun character creation method gives players 3 character slots which they can use for making characters, 1 slot per character and players can change characters at "chapter breaks" in a campaign (when one character levels they all level, so as not to have one level 1 in with level 10's) or in the case of character death (permanent or with DM permission another "awesome" character idea, DM gets to decide what happened to the character you dropped of though, normally dropping them to NPC status and the surrendering of the character sheet to the DM)
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm gonna stick it out with the druid. I'm gradually getting used to the class, but... I'm more used to a straight damage class like a Wu Jen Mage. I'm not quite used to the diversity this class can offer. My boyfriend decided to play a bard since this is his first game and he thought he would like it. So I wanted to pick something with some diversity and esp heals.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2