• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Heroman (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't that picture a picture of his mom and dad? I think he said so in the episode.

Few more points I wanted to make.

-I love during "Calling" when you see the comic book cover and it says "Marvel Comics: First issue" and that it's $3.99. That made me giggle.

-I noticed a shadowed-out person swinging a guitar a la FLCL Haruko style. This character should appear sooner rather than later. >,<

-Will (the bully) kind of reminds me of Flash Thompson a little.

-You know, I think Lee just likes to make his manga characters traps. Has anyone read Ultimo? I think they even say one of his defining characteristics is that he's pretty like a girl.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, the first episode showed some quality animation. I enjoyed Stan's cameo, too. I didn't see anything amazing, though, so I doubt I'll actively follow the show. I'll be interested in reading comments from folks after a few episodes to see how it shapes up.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I made it half way through the episode and then hit the eject button. I've promised myself I'm going to get better at identifying when a show isn't working for me and bail. It's not that it is a bad show, but it was just seeming way too conventional in terms of set up.

Pro tip Blood-! You'll never know. Sometimes it works, other times your theories are just wrong. If anything that approach will make you more jaded in the future. If a series doesn't really catch you in the beginning then it might just a be a series that you'll have to put off until more episodes come out. Or even one you wait until its over and then watch. I've gone through plenty of series that way.

Personally I liked it. It's a little weird to have that kind of US cartoon or childlike "WOW... cool..." innocents (and/or cheesiness) with such a solid character design and higher quality style you'd usually get with a more serious series and whatnot. But that's probably more of an issue of emersion or something. I love the ending credits too. The little "Bone Comics" logo in the upper left like the old Marvel Comics was great. They even went from left to right with the camera.

Unless they pull another Xam'd where after 2 episodes of action we just get 20 episodes of exposition with 5 mins of action total in all of those 20 episodes, then I can't see myself not liking this series. Although if he ends up having to rescue a cat out of a tree or that kid starts wearing a cape... I may have to switch it over to a marathon series.

OH! And the subtitles are really pretty and easy to read. I definitely like them over the old yellow subs or the newer white subs we get now a days.
Miranox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
With a name like Heroman, how could this be anything but a masterpiece? For starters, it has such... wait... I think I got it backward. With a name like Heroman, how could this be anything but a child's fantasy made into an anime? From what I heard about this show, I thought it would be something like The Iron Giant (a respectable and entertaining movie). Judging from the first episode, it's nothing of the sort. spoiler[Lightning turns a toy into a super robot?] That alone guarantees I cannot take this anime seriously. I'll watch a few more episodes to see how the story develops, but my expectations are about as low as they can get.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I made it half way through the episode and then hit the eject button. I've promised myself I'm going to get better at identifying when a show isn't working for me and bail. It's not that it is a bad show, but it was just seeming way too conventional in terms of set up.

Pro tip Blood-! You'll never know. Sometimes it works, other times your theories are just wrong. If anything that approach will make you more jaded in the future. If a series doesn't really catch you in the beginning then it might just a be a series that you'll have to put off until more episodes come out. Or even one you wait until its over and then watch. I've gone through plenty of series that way.

Point taken. I know that ditching a series before you've seen at least three eppies can be dangerous. But I was sort of dubious about this one right from the get go and what I saw wasn't abating that dubiosity in the slightest. I'm just not interested in American-style superhero stories.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm I the only one to find it strange to have Lina addressing her brother in the normal Japanese fashion, instead of by his name as any American would?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
About the lightning, while it is a little cheesy fospoiler[r the robot to be brought alive by lightning, the lightning was somehow caused by an energy beam, shockwave or residual energy from the alien ship entering space above Earth. They haven't explained what that red energy ring was that hit the planet was.] SO it's not completely Frankenstein's monster robot toy.

spoiler[Maybe it affected other things as well, giving Heroman an adversary of the week to face off with each week, and delaying the inevitable alien fight for season's end.]

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
spoiler[Lightning turns a toy into a super robot?] That alone guarantees I can not take this anime seriously.

That was pretty lame, particularly because spoiler[Joey inexplicably got some sort of upgrade to his control unit as well.] Although they might come back and explain that over the next few episodes -- I won't be holding my breath. Wink
Quote:
I'll watch a few more episodes to see how the story develops, but my expectations are about as low as they can get.

Make sure to post your impressions, so others of us can determine whether the show is worth watching without having to spend the time actually doing so. Very Happy
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
i thought it went without saying that it wasn't normal lightning but i guess not so.... it wasn't normal lightning.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
You also gotta remember that is very standard US superpower origin type of stuff. Lab accidents, mutants, stumbling upon advance or ancient technology, magic, supernatural stuff, surviving something that should have killed you thus unlocking some kind off hidden potential, or in this case; alien related. I was okay with "alien lightning". Of course I'm more open to the American comic book theme of it all too. I know some anime fans don't care for it and not liking the style is one of the reasons why some fans have come to like anime and/or manga in the first place.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
If I was to rate this episode using ANN's ratings system, I would give it a "Decent". There was nothing really fatally wrong with it, but there were parts that I really didn't like. Now, the scientist being able to contact aliens before everyone else is not too far-fetched. If I got annoyed at that then I'd have to get annoyed at Doc from Back to the Future, and I don't want to have to do that.

However, there were other parts that really didn't mesh.

1): The girl - Lina I think was her name - apparently liked Joey, enough to ask him out many times. But from what we've seen there's no reason she should. Yeah their personalities are compatible; she's nice and friendly, and he's very nice and friendly. But how did he catch her eye in the first place? If they were childhood friends or something then I could accept that. But they're not, and he's a wimp while she is a beautiful rich girl who looks like she's head cheerleader. Her liking him is just something I cannot accept, unless they do a well-executed flashback which shows their first encounter.

2): Joey looks like he should have been named Josephine. Yeah, he's supposed to be pacifistic and kind and also weak and puny, but they didn't have to make him look like a girl. Hey, what do I mean by "looks like"? He IS a girl, or at least he so resembles a girl that if he had been female instead they wouldn't have needed to change his character design one iota.

3): The whole "protagonist is intelligent but poor" bit is so Stan Lee (Daredevil and Spiderman come to mind) that I'm bored to tears. I know that you should never change a winning formula, but the formula just isn't working anymore. Or at least, it wasn't handled well enough to keep it from appearing stale. When you throw in the "protagonist looks after elderly female relative" part, well that just so reeks of Spiderman that I start rolling my eyes.

4): Alien lightning. Enough said. (Although I will say that at least it wasn't radioactivity this time; Stan Lee can mix things up after all . . . )

Despite those things the episode was pretty watchable, which reflects on the grade I gave it. I liked the animation, enjoyed the character designs (Joey excluded, of course), thought the music was alright, was interested in the ED, and am curious to see where they go with Heroman (the machine, not necessarily the series).

I'll watch the next two episodes, and if they are of similar quality as this one was I will probably watch the rest. But it doesn't seem that Heroman will be a priority-one watch for me.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:04 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

2): Joey looks like he should have been named Josephine. Yeah, he's supposed to be pacifistic and kind and also weak and puny, but they didn't have to make him look like a girl. Hey, what do I mean by "looks like"? He IS a girl, or at least he so resembles a girl that if he had been female instead they wouldn't have needed to change his character design one iota.

You could say that for half the anime out their right now like Code Geass, just add boobs and Lelouch is an attractive lady.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:16 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
You could say that for half the anime out their right now like Code Geass, just add boobs and Lelouch is an attractive lady.

No he wouldn't. He wouldn't even look female, what with the short messy hair he has and the ultra-angular look of his body. He would look like a freak if he had breasts. Kanon would have been a much better example. But even so, one character does not a wide-ranging example make.

What I was saying about Joey is that he looks particularly effeminate, so much so that he is basically a male with a female body. I mean, in your weak example you mentioned putting breasts on Lelouch, but Joey wouldn't even need that; his appearance is practically that of a flat-chested adolescent girl. Which he basically is, considering his temperament.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:34 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Joey looks like he should have been named Josephine.

Maybe he's a reverse trap. Twisted Evil

You made some good points, BTW. I kind of groaned when he fixed the toy. Maybe he's a mechanical genius. Whatever.

I thought Psy (kid on crutches) was cool, though.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:58 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Wasn't that picture a picture of his mom and dad? I think he said so in the episode.

Seriously? She looked about eight in the photo.

Quote:
The girl - Lina I think was her name - apparently liked Joey, enough to ask him out many times. But from what we've seen there's no reason she should. Yeah their personalities are compatible; she's nice and friendly, and he's very nice and friendly. But how did he catch her eye in the first place? If they were childhood friends or something then I could accept that. But they're not, and he's a wimp while she is a beautiful rich girl who looks like she's head cheerleader. Her liking him is just something I cannot accept, unless they do a well-executed flashback which shows their first encounter.

Isn't the fact that they're in the same class and have similar personalities enough of an explanation? Maybe it's different in America, but when I was in school I found that that whole "high school social stratum" thing you always see on TV was a total myth.

On the subject of Joey's character design, does anyone else think he looks like Oskar from Let The Right One In?

.....Has anyone else even seen that movie, or am I revealing how much of a geek I am right now?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13