• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Michigan Middle School Boy Suspended Over 'Death Note'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
What are they going to do next, expel people who shout "I'll kill you!"?

Yes. Happens all the time actually.

This is a list of names in a book titled 'death note'. Anybody with half a brain and no knowledge of the manga (and even if they did have knowledge of the manga) would see it as a threat. The intention may not be to actually harm anybody, but schools have taken this kind of stuff seriously for a good while now.

Also: threats are NOT protected speech. It technically violates the law too, although this case wouldn't go that far, seeing as he didn't run up to somebody and threaten them or whatever.
Zilan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it's stupid I know. But after the string of school shootings that followed in the wake of the Columbine massacre no one is taking any chances, and honestly I can't blame them.
oishi_47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Schools are able to act on "reasonable suspicion" as apposed to the "probable cause" that police use. There is legal precedence for this. Also, disciplinary actions taken by the school are obviously differentiated from legal recourse.

While I was in high school, there were at least two "hit list" scares, and even though they were never linked to Death Note, in both cases the perpetrators were people who I knew personally and I knew that they had at least some interest in anime. Obviously I wouldn't really link the incidents to Death Note and I know the cause of both incidents (one more than I would have liked to) but at least no one tried to make that kind of BS claim just because they couldn't find any other reason.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Oh no, he wrote their names and time of death...big whoop. What are they going to do next, expel people who shout "I'll kill you!"? Isn't this technically though crime?

Probably not expel, but suspend. In a school environment, and a work environment, these can be considered "terroristic threats". In fact, I know a couple people who have been terminated from jobs for saying those exact words. I also had a friend in high school who was expelled for a week for saying it to a teacher.

Imagine what would have happened if the school had ignored this and the kid actually did go on to kill someone? Not only would someone be dead, but the school could be held liable for his actions.

You might think it's overreacting, but they really had no other course of action in the matter.

Exactly. The kid's an idiot who deserved to be expelled.

The school acted correctly.
oishi_47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Well this teenager probably hasn't watched the ending of Death Note. This kid got what he deserved for being that stupid. Maybe the notebook shouldn't have had the "Death Note" label on it because anyone who hasn't seen the anime or heard of the manga would rightfully be creeped out and if they read the names and time of death they would take it seriously.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Actually, at schools I went to, verbal threats were enough to warrant suspension if the threat was severe (IE, I'll kill you!)

Though, in this case, it was more like saying "I wish X were dead", when you mistakenly don't think anyone is listening.

Disclaimer: I don't actually bear any animosity towards X whatever.
Katane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
This is the smartest thing I've heard all day. What would possess this idiot to bring or make a Death Note to or at school? Not only that it's been five different cases of this happening before this frikin genesis.

Quote:
One high school senior in Richmond, Virginia was suspended in 2007 over a list of his classmates' names that the school principal linked to Death Note. A middle school student in Hartsville, South Carolina was "removed" from school over a "Death Note" notebook in March of 2008. In Gadsden, Alabama, two sixth-grade students were arrested in the following month for a notebook that allegedly listed their school staff and fellow students in a manner similar to the Death Note anime series. A Middle School in Gig Harbor, Washington expelled one student and disciplined three others in May of 2008 for writing 50 names in their own "Death Note" book. Two elementary school students from Oklahoma City were to be disciplined last December for allegedly writing the names of two other students and the manners of their fictional deaths in a "Death Note" notebook.

Them getting kicked or suspended from school won't be the worse thing that will happen to them if I was a parent to anyone of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
malik_chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
If the kid did this as a joke, I understand calling him stupid. But if he's being bullied, the victim-blaming is pathetic.

Instead of suspending the boy, why not seek some psychological help to see why he did it? Maybe it was for the lulz, maybe it was because he was sick of being bullied. Who knows? The school and police obviously don't because while they care for the student body's safety, they don't care about the kid who may need help. Besides, if someone is being bullied, they may use writing those names down as a form of coping.

Plus, if the boy really was planning anything? A suspension won't stop him, it may exacerbate it, since writing names down in a "Death Note" seems like a cry for help.

Last edited by malik_chan on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
unready

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
... suspended indefinitely after another student found a "Death Note" created by the 14-year-old boy ...

So basically a teenager got suspended for wishing his antagonists were dead, a description that applies to 100% of all teenagers everywhere in the world. So people are reacting like he threatened someone. Based on the story, it doesn't sound like he actually threatened anyone at all. He wrote in a goofy diary a wish he had in his head. If he had showed the goofy diary to anyone and said he was going to make it happen, that would be a threat. Imagine a girl wrote in her roses-and-hearts-covered "My Diary" that she wished people, possibly listed by name, who picked on her would "dry up and blow away" (i.e., die). Would people who think this guy got what was coming to him treat her the same way?

Was the guy stupid for carrying the thing around with him and leaving it where someone else would find it? Yeah, but that's about it.
stararnold

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, some young people haven't yet learned from the mistakes of other idiotic delinquents using a notebook looking like the death note. At least I don't blame the creator of "Death Note, because I blame the idiots who don't pay attention to the moral of the Manga story itself: those who list names in a threatening notebook of terror pay the high price.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll just bring out all of the old arguments from previous threads . . .

Really and truly, how does the school board which suspended him - not to mention most of the people in this here thread - believe that permanent suspension was the right course of action? I mean, the principal said that they believed no-one was ever in danger (as if Death Notes can kill . . . ), so where is the justification in such a harsh action? Where is the proportionality?

We don't know why the kid made a Death Note and wrote those two names down. They were in all probability bullying him. So the school decides to punish the thought crime of wanting someone dead, rather than trying to fix the underlying problem; that there are kids at their school who make other kids homicidal. The kid who got suspended should be getting counselling, not what amounts to expulsion.

And lastly, shame on all those people (in this thread) making fun of him. He's just had his life flipped upside down and all you can do is smirk, or say he deserved it? What pricks you all are. He's fourteen, of course he's going to do stupid things. It's like a Law of Nature or something. He shouldn't have to suffer the stigma of being expelled for the rest of his life, but he will now, all over such a thoughtless - yet harmless - act.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stmurda23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
28076004505531 wrote:
when is this gonna stop?....

one word....POPULAR....the anime is really just that popular...lol

this is ridiculous, i write names in my hand made death notes all the time, it's a way to deal with frustration and it's not like we're actually killing anyone, even though they desserve to die Smile
Stmurda23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I guess I'll just bring out all of the old arguments from previous threads . . .

Really and truly, how does the school board which suspended him - not to mention most of the people in this here thread - believe that permanent suspension was the right course of action? I mean, the principal said that they believed no-one was ever in danger (as if Death Notes can kill . . . ), so where is the justification in such a harsh action? Where is the proportionality?

We don't know why the kid made a Death Note and wrote those two names down. They were in all probability bullying him. So the school decides to punish the thought crime of wanting someone dead, rather than trying to fix the underlying problem; that there are kids at their school who make other kids homicidal. The kid who got suspended should be getting counselling, not what amounts to expulsion.

And lastly, shame on all those people (in this thread) making fun of him. He's just had his life flipped upside down and all you can do is smirk, or say he deserved it? What pricks you all are. He's fourteen, of course he's going to do stupid things. It's like a Law of Nature or something. He shouldn't have to suffer the stigma of being expelled for the rest of his life, but he will now, all over such a thoughtless - yet harmless - act.

This ^
gorbal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
So many kids do this kind of thing, it's not funny. Think about when the US movie comes out; the number of kids doing this will skyrocket.

They should think of it as an opportunity to get kids who need it help, not kick them out of school.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6