• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nick Simmons' Incarnate Halted Over Alleged Bleach Plagiarism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Heh. Now I've got to play devil's advocate. Are you referring to those Facebook postings or to something else because I think the facebook ones might be fake. Those posts are the only ones from that account so there isn't really any way to know if it's him or just an impostor trying to make him look bad. I'd be inclined to assume it is an impostor since those comments come off as so utterly ridiculous and inviting of ridicule that it seems like that might be the goal behind them. Of course, a lot of sites have just gone ahead and attributed them to him with no qualifier at all which is horribly unprofessional in my opinion. I assume this plays a role in the reaction as well.

That is true. And if that is the case then he would at least have a case against the imposter. Still, the statement he made that has supposedly been confirmed by CBR pretty much says the same thing, thought without all the "I'm calling my dad and sueing you" stuff. The art just looks like more than an homage and he's going to have a tough time selling that stance. If the Facebook posts are a fraud, which is possible, he definitely needs to address that as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if he even knows about the facebook stuff if he's innocent on that. Surely he's looking things up or at least his publisher should be and be on top of that ASAP.
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
Areaith wrote:
Well I guess he's now famous for more than just being the son of Gene Simmons.

OH GOD... Someone needs to make a shoop of him with a headset going "Just as planned..."
kaya666

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
i think it buch bs i seen alot of anime and manga that look like the same but the stoyline diffent their alot so i think they should let him sell it and face it the we all draw anime that look the same that were we stay i say let it sell how with me
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:52 am Reply with quote
kaya666 wrote:
i think it buch bs i seen alot of anime and manga that look like the same but the stoyline diffent their alot so i think they should let him sell it and face it the we all draw anime that look the same that were we stay i say let it sell how with me

Please work on your spelling and punctuation.

There is a big difference between basing character designs on those in another work, and tracing images. Have you seen the comparison photos? There are many of them, and the shots from Incarnate and Bleach look exactly the same. This wasn't some innocent little mistake here; he outright plagiarised another work time and time again. And he didn't just suffer from a lack of morals; he ripped off from one of the most popular Manga in North America. What a moron.
kaya666

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
ok tho think about it so if he did trance it but the pohots are smiler but the stoyline differnt look at like this they make a big F%$# deal out it ok yes he could trances but the stoy line diffent i readed a buch of manga like that so just also think of it as a book tho look all the vampire books out thire they have the same plot well... most do and their never been made big deal out it
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
You can not flat out copy or trace someone else's drawings and claim them to be your own in a book you are are making money off of without the express permission of the person you are copying.
The same goes for story. Sure there can be some similarities but there is a limit to how similar two works can be before it looks like plagarism.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
*does a quick ANN news search for "plagiarism"*

Switch Manga, Rin Hoshii Accused of Plagiarism - A manga got removed from a magazine for "reproducing" images from a fashion magazine.
FutureQuake OEL Manga Anthology Pulled due to Plagiarism - Comic pulled because the cover was a crop of a Deviantart image claiming to be "original art".
Kodansha Editors Apologize for Death Note Plagiarism - Kodansha issued apology after a manga included plagiarism.
Yuki Suetsugu Copies Art From Other Manga - It's not in this article, but other articles pointed out that Flower of Eden, which had been licensed by Tokyopop, had it's US release canceled over this.

So... plagiarism has never been made a big deal out of? And these all look like they were instances (images here and there), not flat-out tracing of entire pages.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10