• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nick Simmons' Incarnate Halted Over Alleged Bleach Plagiarism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
That is the exact opposite of reality. Fan artists using copyrighted characters are not creating "derivative works," they are making money illegally off of someone else's IP. Lightboxing another artist's work isn't illegal in the slightest, and there is a HUGE precedent for this exact sort of thing being tolerated by virtually every single American comic book publisher. Not saying that's "right," but it is what it is.

And to anyone who thinks Nick Simmons is getting rich off of Incarnate, I should point out that Incarnate #1 only sold 3622 copies in the American comic book market, and #2-3 sold so low that they didn't even make the top 300 chart the months they were released. Nobody was getting rich off this thing.

He was claiming it as his own, selling it and making money as his own. You think he only made a little? Fanartists in the US typically sell one copy of each freehand work. They tend not to produce derivative doujinshi. The ones that do tend to only sell a few copies per con. For fanartists, it's about the love of the original work. For Simmons, it's taking the original work, using it without credit, and making a buck and a reputation that doesn't rightfully belong to him.

Fanart
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
He said they were photoshopped, so I'm quite curious now. I guess I'll wait till some expert kicks in.

Same wavelength... hah. I think if he starts drawing himself as the main protagonist he wouldn't need to tell us to buy his comics while trying(but slowly assuming the blame) to defend himself.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Looks like young Nick has slipped up, but he'll learn from his mistake. It looks to me like he's obviously a big anime/manga fan like anyone on here, despite his famous father. He too may have started just watching and reading, then progressing onto fan art.

As a anime/manga fan and an artist, I've been to a few cons, where young fan artists wave the fan art everywhere. None of them, as far as I can tell, ever think to the next plateau of, how do I carve and develop a style of my own from this? Despite his name and this big news, I think that Nick Simmons has some talent behind his debacle. What he needs is a guiding hand, to help him mould it into something all his own, just like many fan artists out there. I'm a member of Deviantart, and there are plenty of fan artist there, doing their dojinshi etc, but few of them, also being young, think beyond such self pleasing work.

Tite Kubo is going to be a gent about it all, judging by his comments. In the end, Nick will learn a lesson, money will be exchanged, and I think he will actually gain a new friend or potential teacher in Tite Kubo.

Sure, plagurism isn't right. With visual art however, especially comics, are media produce by hand on a certain tight schedule, poses will be stolen or borrowed in order to get a job done. Kudos to artist who can draw everything, perfect from scratch, but not all can. Because of the volumes of comics released monthly, it would be hard to check them all, up against various previous released works, across the globe.

Tite will probably just ask to meet Gene and Nick, and it will all be over, as litigation isn't the japanese thing at all.

////////////

Lastly, here's bit from Radical's website, below.

Thursday February 25th, 2010
Radical's response in regards to Incarnate

We at Radical Publishing, Inc. and Radical Comics, Inc. are quite concerned to hear the news surrounding Nick Simmons’s Incarnate Comic Book. We are taking this matter seriously and making efforts now to contact the publishers of the works in question in an effort to resolve this matter. We have halted further production and distribution of the “Incarnate” comic book and trade paperback until the matter is resolved to the satisfaction of all parties. Rest assured that Radical is taking swift action regarding this matter and will continue in its efforts to maintain the integrity and protect the intellectual property of artists throughout the world whose creative works are the bedrock of our Company and the comic book industry.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
So a troll hacked Nick's account. Figures. Still, great usage of lines like "magma" and comparing the manga to laundry detergent. Laughing

By the way, 500 posts! Very Happy

This calls for something special...
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I had a look at the link on the ToplessRobot post. I'd have to agree a lot of what is there, is very uncanny similar to copied.

Nice to have daddy to bail you out, Nick. You'll need him and his lawyers, if Viz deceide to run with this. Viz and Radical will work it out, though.

Just makes me glad that I developed to own characters and stuff.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ottervinn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Rob on Topless Robot. Pretty much completely copying character designs/panels from Bleach, Hellsing, Dogs everything else that's been said. It's not a mere resemblance, it is out and out copying.

I'm not an artist, but I did go through an arty phase, where I would trace from multiple artists (on my own in my sketchpad, never scanned or uploaded anywhere), if only to learn anatomy and things like that.

However, this news is not going to make that much of a dent anyway. Incarnate was alright when I flicked through it at my local comic shop (I didn't even notice the manga resemblances then Embarassed ), but from reading posts here, it's obvious it didn't sell too well. Plus, Tite Kubo doesn't seem extremely bothered about it.

But of course, that's not to say that this should just be swept under the carpet as a piece of curious anime news. He probably used a light-box, all that, and he will hopefully be punished accordingly for such flagrant plagiarism, famous father or not.

I'm not even a great fan of Bleach, but I think the fans have every right to be annoyed at the similarities. It's not a case of: "well does that mean every ten year old kid with whiskers is a rip-off of Naruto" which I saw on the LJ comments. It's obvious that entire panels have been copied.

To be honest, I admire Kubo's stance. I would have reacted a lot more angrily if I were him.

Some part of my mind is even screaming 'publicity stunt' at the moment, and it kind of seems like it is at first, but it's just too ridiculous to believe it could be. Whether or not he did go through all the trouble of copying off all those anime series, and whether or not it has actually made a little-known title known... But then again, what ardent Bleach fans, or manga fans in general, will go into a comic shop, and actually buy Incarnate after this? I sense:

*flick through it*

"Whoa those people were right, it does rip it off."

*put it back on the shelf*

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I still can't believe this happens in this day and age.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I think Kubo has every right to protect his artwork especially since this clearly ISN'T fanart. Incarnate is Nick's "supposedly" own work and since he SAYS it's his work and it clearly looks like he plagiarized Kubo's artwork, Kubo has the right to know and respond to what his fans noticed. If Nick was truly being original fans wouldn't have noticed so much similarity between Incarnate and Bleach to make a big deal about it.
Tratious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
it looks like he rips of Hellsing too check out the incarnate preview and view page 5/6/7/10 and you'll see what I mean

http://www.radicalcomics.com/titles/comics/incarnate
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe he thought he could get away with copying, even though it's blantantly obvious. Confused
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
WOW!! It is blatantly copied!!! If Simmons denies these accusations then he's got to be a freaking idiot. There are already a good amount of pictures that are either verryyy similar or just flipped, etc. I'm sure that fans will find even more -_-

Can't he be more original...His art just reminds me of the many photoshopped pictures of naruto where fans change the hair/eye/skin/etc. colors and create a new character such as http://winddarkgirl.deviantart.com/art/Gabrielle-Moore-2-155388100 not bashing on the person who made this...but seriously :/

Kubo is so down to earth, he was very nice in his comments! More admiration from me :]
ayashe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
[insert obligatory and baseless and off-topic trolling comment here]

I don't know if he did this for the publicity (any publicity is good publicity? though isn't being the son of a celeb enough...), but he's pretty stupid if he thought he could steal from something like Bleach and get away with it.
Momoyuki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm amazed that some of you are defending Nick Simmons by saying that tracing someone else's work is totally fine or expected in the manga industry compared to selling fanart at a convention. Artists who sell fanart do not trace. As an artist myself, I know that people who do trace don't last for very long in the art community, because tracing/plagiarism is a big deal. Drawing fanart is a way for the artist to express themselves by drawing their favorite characters in their own style, imagine their favorite characters in certain poses/situations/doing silly things, or just to pay homage to their favorite series/characters. And a lot of times, artists use existing characters to practice drawing. (What people do not realize is how hard it is to design original characters, especially when you have artist's block.) Even if you may have a problem with fanart, blame the people who make up the demand for fanart that's sold at cons. The profits the "fan artists" make probably only pay off the printing costs of the fanart, renting a table in the artist's alley, and their 3-day convention badge... and maybe some of their meals. That's why those same artists rely on commissions to make money.

I rarely ever draw fanart (I like to draw original characters since it's more of a challenge anyway), but I think many of you don't know what actually goes into drawing. It's one thing to copy the basic frame of a pose from a source, but it's another thing to photocopy practically every detail and claim it entirely as your own.

Also, Kubo Tite reacted in typical Japanese fashion (See tatemae). It shouldn't be surprising that he sounds calm about this. He's probably pretty upset over this (as any artist would be) but isn't expressing it due to tatemae.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't get the sympathy either.

And from the Japanese Tweets I've seen from Kubo, I haven't seen any where he states he wants to read Nick's comic. All he has said is that he has been getting a lot of messages from overseas for the last couple days and the only parts he can understand are "an American comic that copies Bleach" and "drawn by Gene Simmons' son".

In other words, he's saying he knows about it and you can stop sending him messages about it.
chocobolily

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
You think that if one were -deliberately trying- to plagiarize another manga they'd be a little more...I dunno...subtle about it?

I guess Simmons didn't realize how quickly people catch plagiarism (not that THAT'S any justification; even if the comic is mostly his own, stealing anyone else's work is totally against what artists should stand for.)
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's not really Simmons posting under his name on Facebook. Obvious troll is obvious. That's just about the only thing I would defend him on.

Anyway, here's some fanart I saw posted online.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10