• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nick Simmons' Incarnate Halted Over Alleged Bleach Plagiarism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Well actually I'm an little surprise that Kubo was very nice to Nick and hey it may give a chance working Japan and take a few pointers with Kubo down the road. I would like to see Viz try to be calm with the situation to Nick and may give him an slap on the wrist. Then telling him to try changing his drawing techniques and get him an darn writer too.

Really this has blown out of proportion to us Bleach fans and we really need calm down and give Nick Simmons another chance and so how he learns from all the mistakes he's done. All in all, something good can come out of this. Nick has potential and you guys jumped the gun again.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I guess Kubo is used to stuff like this.
When your manga is that well-known, of course people are going try to copy it in someway, whether it be from inspiration or laziness.

But I dunno if I heard this right but don't the Japanese look at copyright as NOT a big thing over there anywayz? Like some manga-ka rather not deal with lawsuits & stuff and shrug it off?

I'm just more bothered by the fact that it took this long for the stupid comic to be pointed out on plagiarism.
What was the publishing company thinking? Confused
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
Well actually I'm an little surprise that Kubo was very nice to Nick

He wasn't "nice," he just doesn't really care, and is probably amused that it's Gene Simmons' son who is plagiarizing his manga. And why should he caíre, anyway? The plagiarism is too blatant to ignore so the comics will be probably cancelled, he loses no money, Bleach gets more publicity... Kubo was just being polite. (And there's no way Shueisha/Jump would let Nick work with Kubo after this.)

BlackJaded wrote:
Really this has blown out of proportion to us Bleach fans

How so? A guy shamelessly copies a manga, right down to character designs (hello, Kenpachi, Orihime), claims it's his own and tries to earn money with it. He needs to be kicked in the ass.

BunnyCupCakes wrote:
But I dunno if I heard this right but don't the Japanese look at copyright as NOT a big thing over there anywayz? Like some manga-ka rather not deal with lawsuits & stuff and shrug it off?

Actually, it's a pretty big deal, if someone finds out. Look at Nitta Youka copying poses and whatnot from fashion ads. She was silenced for months (or more) by her publisher.
xiau

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure the possibility of a lawsuit is very high unless someone like Viz takes action. Japan likes to stay out of situations like this. Remember, no one even attempted suing Disney over The Lion King or Atlantis (though arguably, it could be because Disney is enormous and kind of intimidating)

Even if this isn't the end of his career, though, I don't think many people will take him or his comics seriously for a very long time. At least not until he gets his act together.
TC-man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:
I'm amazed at the Bleach copying though. This isn't even subtle! It's like he photocopied the pages and then just drew some details over them! Shocked

jgreen wrote:
He probably used a light box.

That's also what I think, a lightbox.

What Nick Simmon did is just some shameless copy and paste jobs. If it was some fanarts, then it's okay in my opinion, but he's now selling his comicbooks with contents which belong to an other artists/mangakas. According Wikipedia there are other works that are copied by Nick Simmons: Bleach, Hellsing, Vampire Hunter D, NANA, Dogs: Bullets & Carnage, Deadman Wonderland, One Piece and artist Rae (source: http://community.livejournal.com/bleachness/446299.html?thread=10841435#t10841435).

I thought creating something original as an artist/mangaka is the most rewarding thing you can do, especially when there are also other people who like your works. So copying works from other people is just like "human transmutation" (recreating a human-being by using alchemy) in Fullmetal Alchemist, you just don't do it, it's a forbidden area you must not touch.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What Nick Simmon did is just some shameless copy and paste jobs. If it was some fanarts, then it's okay in my opinion, but he's now selling his comicbooks with contents which belong to an other artists/mangakas.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but don't artist in the Artist Alley of cons sell fanart all the time?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mckg1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Lol, thats just strait up copying Bleach and just adding color. Come on Viz, sue, You could use the money. When fans start saying a company should sue, That company should sue!!
spartydragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:
What Nick Simmon did is just some shameless copy and paste jobs. If it was some fanarts, then it's okay in my opinion, but he's now selling his comicbooks with contents which belong to an other artists/mangakas.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but don't artist in the Artist Alley of cons sell fanart all the time?

That's always been a legal gray area (technically illegal but people let it slide for various reasons). And... this is a bit different. Fan artists are (usually) drawing stuff freehand, this guy flat out TRACED these characters - they're not "inspired by" established characters, they aren't even an artists take on those characters (fanart) they ARE the characters.

As others have said, you can copy poses, you can have characters that resemble other characters, you can even trace poses but change the character doing the posing, but just flat out tracing a picture, changing the colors around and claiming it as your own is wrong.

From what I've seen of it, I'm seriously doubting he drew much, if ANY of the comic freehand. And the funny part is that you can actually TELL where he freehanded something - the style is different and there's an overwhelming sense of poor draftsmanship.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I could be wrong... but I think some of those images haven't been published in the US yet. So he's probably been tracing/copying from scanlations.
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

At least those artists acknowledge that it's fanart. Simmons just traced the art and called it his own.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Pedestrian A wrote:
I care not for Bleach or Nick Simmon, but plagiarism is wrong!

And I smell publicity stunt.

I wouldn't go that far that it's a stunt. Why would they do something that brasin in the first place? It dont make sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I think it's funny how Kubo is a fan of Gene Simmons and Gene Simmons' son is presumably (since he went out of his way to trace scanlations) a fan of Kubo's.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:
Well actually I'm an little surprise that Kubo was very nice to Nick

He wasn't "nice," he just doesn't really care, and is probably amused that it's Gene Simmons' son who is plagiarizing his manga. And why should he caíre, anyway? The plagiarism is too blatant to ignore so the comics will be probably cancelled, he loses no money, Bleach gets more publicity... Kubo was just being polite. (And there's no way Shueisha/Jump would let Nick work with Kubo after this.)

BlackJaded wrote:
Really this has blown out of proportion to us Bleach fans

How so? A guy shamelessly copies a manga, right down to character designs (hello, Kenpachi, Orihime), claims it's his own and tries to earn money with it. He needs to be kicked in the ass.

BunnyCupCakes wrote:

Actually, it's a pretty big deal, if someone finds out. Look at Nitta Youka copying poses and whatnot from fashion ads. She was silenced for months (or more) by her publisher.

Polite and Nice are both the same kind of meaning words to an person and also he cares about his work and really how he's amazed on what Nick's drawings skills, it's not about how got to it but seems Kubo seems interested on Nick and may get a lesson from the one highest rising writing manga in a long time.

The only way to end this kind of charade is to make Nick apologize to the fans in his manga and Bleach fans as well. Possibly Kubo may come down there to the US and have discussion with NIck Simmons and his family, then get an autograph with the Kiss members.

To me Kubo has alot of respect to me indeed on the matter and he want's this to go away as possible.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
damn, i read all of Incarnate and i never even noticed this. too bad really, cause it's a pretty good comic.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Original question:
The King of Harts wrote:

Answers:
spartydragon wrote:
That's always been a legal gray area (technically illegal but people let it slide for various reasons). And... this is a bit different. Fan artists are (usually) drawing stuff freehand, this guy flat out TRACED these characters - they're not "inspired by" established characters, they aren't even an artists take on those characters (fanart) they ARE the characters.

mufurc wrote:

At least those artists acknowledge that it's fanart. Simmons just traced the art and called it his own.

That's true, but they're still using someone else's characters to sell their fanart and doujinshi. At least Simmons changed the names and altered the characters appearances (as slight as it may be), unlike fanartist who are flat out selling someone else's characters. Is what Simmons did plagiarism? No doubt because it's obvious his stuff is a little more than "inspired by", but fanartist are even more obvious examples of plagiarism. I don't think fanartist should be excluded simply because they're fans and Simmons should get ragged on because he "lightboxed" it. Only reason Simmons is getting busted is because he has a big name and is making real money.

Note that I don't have anything against fanartist, but don't tell me they're not plagiarist as well- they're just doing it on a smaller scale at little cons, unlike Simmons who's selling his stuff on Amazon and in comic book stores.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10