• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you think anime is too expensive?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Anime is no longer expensive and even if you think it is, your delusional now all of you shut up and give me your lunch money!! I needz to buy morez anime!

All kidding aside. It's much cheaper then it use to be and depends on the series. I'm sure if a disturbitor could, they shoot for the $35 - 40ish half season releases and $50ish full season stuff if they could. But some series warrant the $50 half season sets because 1) its a business and 2) the license cost more so they need a good return before dropping the price. You could try to wait for cheaper full season boxsets but unless sales move the half season stuff, you won't see them anytime soon or at all. Honestly if you like it, save up and buy it. I've bought several series in the half season style and don't regret them at all.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Death Note and Inuyasha DVD sets all have more than 13 eps per.(17-20)
Honey and Clover and NANA have higher MSRPs true.
With the parameters stated by Dark Paladin X; Viz gives you more and uses union actors increasing its cost to produce the product, while comparing to FUNimation using primarily non-union people and generally getting less episodes/extras.

As for Media Blasters they are the odd one out and I can't begin to fathom how many different versions and price points they have.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
You still missed two points I was trying to focus on, but apparently didn't do a good job of. I'll use Inuyasha and Death Note as my examples for Viz since we both agree that NANA and HxC are too much.

To address the cost of the dubbing itself, here's something you need to remember: Both of those shows aired on TV. Those TV deals paid for a good bit of the dubbing costs so that almost covers the cost of using Union Actors. No funimation show outside of Dragonball has aired on TV and so they use Non-Union Actors to make the dubbing cheaper (even though the dubs themselves are still high quality).

To address higher episodes counts: Sure, Inuyasha and Death Note sets have higher episode counts, but they also had a singles run before the sets were released and the MSRP's are still huge even though they made money from those singles and are only ~20 episodes per set. Funimation nowadays releases half sets out of the gate so you're getting more of the show faster and that's going to cost a little more, but the $60 MSRP for those half sets aren't as bad as Viz sets.

Even when Funimation did singles, their sets weren't that expensive and they were the WHOLE show, not just the first part. When Funi released the first Burst Angel box set, it went for $90 for all 24 episodes (and some guide books). A set of 17 episodes and 20 episodes of Death Note go for $70 each for a total of $140 for the whole show.

I do believe Funimation is and has been the cheapest of the dubbing companies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
A set of 17 episodes and 20 episodes of Death Note go for $70 each for a total of $140 for the whole show.

God Bless TRSI where I got both of the DN box sets for $24.99 each during a weekly special.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
A set of 17 episodes and 20 episodes of Death Note go for $70 each for a total of $140 for the whole show.

God Bless TRSI where I got both of the DN box sets for $24.99 each during a weekly special.

I do believe it was my post in the "What Did You Buy" thread that informed you they were slashed that large. No need to go to church and sing the hymns of my life, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Yes Death Note Set1, 20 ep is at a MSRP of $70 with assorted extras
While Burst Angel,(when new) 24 ep was at $90 with assorted extras

Now I need to factor in the fact Death Note was broadcast on CN while BA was not. A better comparison would be FMA v DN but honestly there are too many factors we don't have real numbers for.

So my conclusion in how I buy anime is that Funimation uses cheaper labor, smaller casts, lower quality manufacturing , and less extras than other distributors. Their MSRP when factoring in what I think about their product and process causes me to think FUNimation are overcharge for their products.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
It gives me actual physical pain to admit that you had a positive impact on my existence, KoH, but yes, your head's up on the DN boxes did lead to my purchases. At least you now know for sure your life has not been in vain. Wink
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

To address the cost of the dubbing itself, here's something you need to remember: Both of those shows aired on TV. Those TV deals paid for a good bit of the dubbing costs so that almost covers the cost of using Union Actors. No funimation show outside of Dragonball has aired on TV and so they use Non-Union Actors to make the dubbing cheaper (even though the dubs themselves are still high quality).

This is not true at ALL! Funimation has had more series on TV than any other distributor. Yu Yu Hakusho, Full Metal Alchemist, Gunslinger Girl, Hell Girl, Witchblade, Basilisk, just to name a few. (There are more that have aired on IFC, that I can't recall at the moment.)

Also, TV networks don't pay much for anime episodes. The International Channel only paid a few hundred per episode, while Adult Swim is said to only pay a couple thousand. Their executives have said they air anime because it is incredibly cheap to acquire. Those do help cover the cost of a dub, but do not entirely cover it.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Crap. And now I feel stupid. How did I forget all those other shows? Thank you dragonrider_cody for correcting my blunder.

Even though they may not pay a lot, it's more money to start with than dubbing a show totally from your pockets. Saying "almost" did make it sound like more than I intended, though. I just wanted to get the point across that anime that airs on TV get a couple more dollars to work with.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
So my conclusion in how I buy anime is that Funimation uses (1)cheaper labor, (2)smaller casts, (3)lower quality manufacturing , and (4)less extras than other distributors. Their MSRP when factoring in what I think about their product and process causes me to think FUNimation are overcharge for their products.

1- Not everything Viz does is Union work. I don't think Bleach is a Union dub and the MSRP on those suckers is pretty high as well.

2- While the Texas talent pool isn't as deep as California's, Viz doesn't exactly use variety. Look at Naruto and Bleach, they have a lot of the same actors in those shows. Not mention their Ocean Group dubs don't vary that much either. Funimation is also starting to import some California talent for it's dubs, so it's varying as well.

3- I don't know how well of a comparison I can make because I only own two Viz shows (Death Note and Ranma), but I think I've still got something to work with. The Ranma sets are flimsy slipcovers(like Funi's) over black, opaque thinpaks with boring, one-sided wraps and uninspired disc art. Death Note has the same flimsy slipcover even though it does have a nice glossy feel to it, but it also houses a digipak. That means only the only art shown is an exact copy of the slip cover on the digipak, chains, a Ryuk shot and the discs that look good, but are mostly black.

Funimation thinpaks are made of those same, flimsy boxes, but use clear cases to show off lots of nice art work. Some of the discs are plain, but lots are very creative like the Samurai Champloo BD discs that look like vinyl discs and some are very elegant like RIN. Not to mention they did a steelbook for Black Lagoon, a sturdy book for Afro Samurai, a Chipboard for the DragonBoxes and even though the DBZ and DB remasters are digipaks, the made the spines so that they make a picture when you line them all up. Hell, you can go through a lot their packaging by going to their Hey, Nice Package videos on Youtube and see for yourself.

4- I'll give the slight nod in extras because Viz does have more, but they aren't exactly amazing. It's not like every set has extras either whereas I think every Funi show has at least a VA commentary.

This is starting to boil down to my subjective opinion and I wish it didn't, but I think the inferior packaging of Viz, the not so amazing extras, the singles and the TV deals makes them the ones overcharging.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
No, anime is not too expensive. At least not from my experience. Being a college student with no job, I am always looking for deals on anime, especially utilizing TRSI and their weekly specials and daily deals, where I have saved A TON of money (Spent $100 this year, probably saved $50 or more off TRSI's normal discounts). That being said, pretty much everything I buy are re-releases and old thinpaks that are priced lower because they are old. I have yet to buy a new release of something. There are plenty of good old titles out there just waiting to be picked off the shelf.
Shawn Shaolin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
I remember a while ago I had a paycheck and I took a trip up to my local FYE. I brought 2 anime DVDs (4 episodes per DVD) and a Newtype Magazine. The mag was 12 bucks. The DVDs were about 40. 52 buckaroos gone. The anime I bought wasn't even all that good, it was Coyote Ragtime Show.

I do think anime is expensive, and I know its expensive because the industry isn't doing so hot. But I buy boxed sets only. I do purchase a lot of manga which is cheap, not cheap as hell, but cheap. Hellsing I do believe costs about $13.50 USD. That's the most expensive manga I buy other than Vampire Hunter D or Basilisk.

When I go shopping for anime which is often I shop smart. These are recessionary times you know.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
It does vary greatly from Anime to Anime. I remember not longing ago having to pay about 20 quid for a 4/5 episode dvd. These days however series are coming out in larger volumes. With entire series costing me approximately 50 - 80 quid. A vast improvement from the 100 - 150 quid I was paying for a series. And saving shelf space. I have also got some old series for very little money from Amazon shopping. Last exile 25 quid, Slayers 12 quid a series etc etc. Just don't buy your Anime over the counter in somewhere like HMV. I have seen it make as much as 80 pounds of difference. And retail selection is abominible.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry RHachino. Most of us are wary of purchasing over-the-counter. That said, the occasional bargain or exclusive might be found on HMV's website. At present, one is able to preorder Summer Wars from such a store.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9