• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Real Gundams

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Wouldent it be really cool to see/pilot a real gundam. I would be fun just to walk around and protect people in a Gundam. If they did make a Gundam, The G Gundams spoiler[Mobil tray System(the main unit room where the piolet are) ]would be great, so that it would be easer to control.[/spoiler]
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it would be cool to pilot a mecha, although we're pretty far away from being able to create anything like a Gundam in reality. The closest mech that I have seen that comes close to todays technology is the Type 17 Tactical Armor Raiden, from Gasaraki.
HypnoticTea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:23 pm Reply with quote
*sighs* yes we are very far from reaching this goal. But it would be wicked awesome. I'd go around crushing things and what not. . .it would be so cool. I'd want to name my mecha too. Hm. . .Hobart . . .that sounds pretty cool, ne? Yes. Hobart the Great, is what I'd call it. That or Lancelot. Yes either name will do.
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Good point....... But it still would be great to have all that power. "Chicks Dig Gient Robots" as Jamie says in Megas XLR. Witch looks easer to Pilot a Gundam, Megas XLR, or Big O. Big O Has thespoiler[ joy sticks (for the arms) and a L and R. peddles(for the Leges)]
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's a short list of choices, you could add the TA, Eva, the Veritech or Valkyrie from Macross, and many others.. hmm.. you could even add the Tachikomas from GITS: SAC even though they are classified as tanks. But when it comes to ease of piloting, that would have to be any system that involves accepting the brain waves of the pilot and translates that into movements. That provides by far the fastest reaction time. (an Eva could run circles around Big O without ever being hit)Of course the downside would be that you would have to be connected to the sensors of the mech so that you would know the position of all the limbs, etc. which would allow you to feel pain if any parts were damaged (a la Eva)
UberTai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Haven't you ever seen cosplay? Real life Gundams do exist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:00 am Reply with quote
UberTai wrote:
Haven't you ever seen cosplay? Real life Gundams do exist.

Laughing
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:05 am Reply with quote
I'd love to real life gundams but when you ask if it'd be great to have them well that just depends on who your asking. If you're talking about the person piloting them then ya they'd be great, but if you're referring to the people scattering on the ground as the gundam trounces through their city , then i think you may get a more negative response. What would be cooler to have is a guyver suit (less city destruction and less hassle calling it to your side)
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:07 am Reply with quote
I prefer the transformer.
And Mecha don't work beyond exoframes. Cross-sectional area squares versus volume cubing. Of course carbon nanotubes could change this, but only if continuous processes to replace batch processes can be done. And that will mean far more then mecha. Even then, one good hit by a rpg will take one out.
Kerensky97

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:17 am Reply with quote
It'll take awhile to be able to create Mecha but it you want to see how close we are check out this link:

Human Exoskeletons

Check out the projects on the left for more technologies that would probably be used in Mecha.

Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:22 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san, You got rember that the back up bat. in an EVA only has enough juice for 5 min. with out the cord. Exp. Dont the Evas also rely on brain wave patterens of the pilots?

Kerensky97, Thoes are some cool Exo-Skeletons. They look like they help the legs with support tough, good post.

Still all of these Robots would be fun to piolt. The things i like about Big O are All the wepones it has.
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:15 am Reply with quote
This is about all that's possible.
Real Giant Robots Don't Work.
Just too big of targets. Long range weapons will destroy any mecha designed for combat. The Japanese studied it, and so did the US. After they figured a single RPG, that is a bazooka, made in the former eastern bloc in the 70's costing about $100 on the black market would take out a $50 million mecha. Exo frames work. Walking tanks don't. VF don't work. Evas would collapse in on themselves if built. Mecha make good stories, but depend on Gundumium and fake materials to work.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't there a person in Japan that built a smaller than full-scale Gundam model?

I remember seeing a thread on this forum about 6 months ago that had a picture of this huge Gundam model standing by a mountain or something...

As for this topic though, I agree that it'd be dang near impossible to build an actual mobile suit. The physics would just be too complicated to get such a large piece of machinery to operate that fast.

If they want, they may be able to just have it stand there and act like a stationary attack/defense unit, but other than that, I can't see it happening (in my lifetime anyway...)
Ramiel_X

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Tony, there was.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Twilight Dragon wrote:
Kazuki-san, You got rember that the back up bat. in an EVA only has enough juice for 5 min. with out the cord. Exp. don't the Evas also rely on brain wave patterens of the pilots?

True, but in that 5 minutes an Eva could take on just about anything and kick it's a**. Yes, they work on the brain wave patterns, which is why they have a fast response time.

king_micah wrote:
This is about all that's possible.
Real Giant Robots Don't Work.

Evas would collapse in on themselves if built. Mecha make good stories, but depend on Gundumium and fake materials to work.

We'll have to see what the future holds, when I was speaking of mecha, I talked of the TA's from Gasaraki being the closest to the technology we have today, not implying that we could actually build one, but that the equipment it incorporates is mostly in use today..

As far as Eva's collapsing on themselves.. spoiler[remember an Eva is not a true mecha, but rather an clone of adam (a.k.a a living creature) So they would have an internal skeletal structure as well as the exo-skeleton (which is really a restraint anyway), so I doubt they would collapse upon themselves]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3