• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Moribito DVDs 5-6 and 7-8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
spoiler[another stupid twist in the series was when heroes learn that prince will die from claws of invisible monster, instead of allowing the child to leave the rest of his lifetime with his parents in the palace they come up with pointless and cruel towards feelings of the child adventure in the form of parentless life in dark damp cave...

thus we have yet another lame excuse to inflate dramatism by scenarists... ]

spoiler[You mean leave Chagum in the palace with his father, the man who attempted to have him killed multiple times, resulting in Chagum's mother leaving him with Balsa to begin with? To put it lightly, I would say that's not a good idea.

And the ra-runga would've killed Chagum even if he lived in the palace. Chagum would be even more vulnerable there, since no one there had even the smallest inkling of how to protect him, and didn't seem to be trying to figure out how to save him either.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
i never said that the series was lame because of the fact that reminiscences were included in it...

How else are we supposed to take comments like "ruins the conceptual logic of the series?" What, exactly, do you mean by that, if not that the presence of the reminiscences makes the series worse? You certainly weren't commenting just on the quality of the reminiscences here, and if that's what you intended then you need to word your comments much more carefully.

Quote:
[spoiler] stupid twist in the reminiscences was that when heroine's father got the threats, instead of fleeing with her daughter (and possibly with his friend for protection) right away he agreed to commit crime, poisoning good and innocent person, and then sent her daughter fleeing anyway, but not with her father, himself, but with different person...

so we have here lame attempt to artificially dramatize the story with suicidal choices that product of imbecile thought of scenarists...

There's a really simple explanation for this: spoiler[her father knew he couldn't protect his daughter from the new ruler when the new ruler's assassins were inevitably sent after them. Only Jiguro had the skill necessary to do that. Also, by staying and completing his task he could stall for time to give Balsa and Jiguro a chance to get away.] It's really perfectly logical.

Your second complaint has been addressed by another, so I won't rehash it here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
Actually, what I think you are missing is that spoiler[Balsa did kill people, as a bodyguard. A lot of people. Until two years prior when she'd had a conversation with Tanda (who basically had berated her) about how she was killing as many people as she was saving, and so she decided to stop killing entirely and devote herself to the cause of saving these eight lives. I think that particular "flashback" would have been just as interesting to watch, personally. Too bad we didn't get to].

It's not missing the point if the anime never made the effort to show this happening. For those of us who haven't read the novels, there's no indication that spoiler[Balsa ever killed anyone.]
Cait

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

It's not missing the point if the anime never made the effort to show this happening. For those of us who haven't read the novels, there's no indication that spoiler[Balsa ever killed anyone.]

I haven't read the novels. I was talking about the anime, and in the anime they discuss it on more than one occasion.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
For me, this series has been a refresher had me really hooked to know more about the lore and such. I'll be getting my hands on some of the novels that cover more of Balsa's back story for more completeness.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
Wow, one of the things that left me breathless after every episode was the magnificent score by Kenji Kawai. If it's "not brilliant" I wonder what's thought to be missing that would make it brilliant? Everything a score is supposed to do is listed after that criticism, without any hints as to how it was lacking, so I'm kinda baffled.

The nahji theme, in all its variations over the series, never fails to move me, and especially during the montage in Vol. 7 where the complete lyrics are subbed, it can actually bring me to tears. That's not entirely due to the music, but it is a measure of how artfully it enhances this whole fantasy world. When I hear that song, I immediately visualize the people planting rice in the fields, and there's something about their continuing that tradition while having forgotten what it once meant, that I find achingly sad.

I won't go so far as to say this is the best anime score ever, but just off the top of my head I can't think of one I've liked better (another day, if pressed, I could come up with maybe a handful Wink ).

Btw, I was one of those people who paid the surcharge to avoid the "as seen on adult swim" cover art vandalism, and I don't regret it one bit. That doesn't mean I forgive them for marketing it that way...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3