• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GW Bush Campaign Ad Includes... Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aisasami

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quote
If anyone is intrested, the Kerry camp's statement.

I don't see how this will attract anime fans to the Bush camp since some are little more worry about Japan realtions. I don't care because I don't vote. Rolling Eyes [/spoiler][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
monkeyDluffy4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:
I can't tell if I should be laughing or wincing in pain. Ah no...it's pain...definitely pain.

Anyone else notice that the eyes look like Yugi's alternate personality? Yugioh + Trigun = Yakuza. Why didn't I see the connection before?

It appears to be a composite picture of Yami's eyes (Yu-Gi-Oh!), Wolfwood's body (Trigun), and is it just me, or do the mouth and nose look suspisciously like Tetsuo or Kaneda's (Akira)?
michelle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:19 pm Reply with quote
aisasami wrote:
I don't care because I don't vote.

And that is why you guys down south SERIOUSLY need mandatory voting =) So do we Canadians: we just voted in a minority gov't because there was 61.2% turnout - the lowest since Confederation of the country in 1898. (Australia, which has mandatory voting, has 95% voter turnout.) I hear the voter turnout that elected Bush in the last election was pretty lame - less than 50%? Hm. Sad how it's only the passionate (read: extremist/fundamentalist) folks who vote nowadays.

Wow. Violating copyright law in pursuit of a federal smear campaign is pretty bad! That advertising agency is good tho: while most average Americans wouldn't know what "yakuza" means, the use of a cartoon character (perceived as childish) and name-dropping of the Japanese (perceived to be the least threatening country after, oh, Canada) is a highly effective method of mocking his opponent.

Last edited by michelle on Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:21 pm Reply with quote
what a dumbass. bush should fire his advertisment promoted, considering all of his recent ads have sucked
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:31 pm Reply with quote
michelle wrote:
Wow. Violating copyright law in pursuit of a federal smear campaign is pretty bad! That advertising agency is good tho: while most average Americans wouldn't know what "yakuza" means, the use of a cartoon character (perceived as childish) and name-dropping of the Japanese (perceived to be the least threatening country after, oh, Canada) is a highly effective method of mocking his opponent.

You're right. Dammit, Kerry needs a spine. This should be the easiest election in the world to win.

I've never been to George W Bush's website before, I'm glad this gave me an opportunity to check it out. I think I'll buy some of that wacky "W Stuff" sometime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Another pathetic ad from a pathetic "President". Only proves that the republican party has absolutely nothing to say. And I agree with a person who said that he's tired of the word "terrorist". This word has lost its original meaning long ago.

They are not really using "anime" in their campaigns (thankfully). They just used one modified picture that could have been from anywhere. I think we are giving this much more attention than it deserves.

P.S. This just gave me an idea for a coolest AMV - "Wolfwood Vs. Bush".
brokenx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:28 pm Reply with quote
the "bush = hitler" ad was in no way sponsored or affiliated with the kerry campaign
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I think it's really funny how the ad implies that organized crime is unconnected to terrorism when the same administration was running anti-drug ads a few years ago the stated outright that buying street drugs helps terrorists. (And the drug trade undoubtedly has ties to organized crime.)
Ginji

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Yet another reason why I hate George Bush... How in the world is he going to use Wolfwood to represent a member of the Yakuza!? I mean the guy is a priest for God's sake.... sure he kills people but he's still a priest.
shikamaru34

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:02 pm Reply with quote
This has to be the most hilarious part of any ad I've seen so far. You go W!!
There is no way that he could lose my vote because of this ad. There are much more important issues to consider than use of an anime character. After all anime is only entertainment.

Can't stop laughing Laughing

Quote:
sure he kills people but he's still a priest.

So when priests kill it makes it OK? Shouldn't they NOT kill BECAUSE they are priests?
Exinex

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:12 pm Reply with quote

That's the image of Wolfwood that they edited. They simply changed the eyes and mouth while leaving almost everything else the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
superdeformed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Fun debate, keep posting.

I wonder if we could vote for a horse instead of Bush or Kerry?

Perhaps Caligula was ahead of his time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Izlude

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Heh I find it amusing everyone is pointing their fingers at Bush, when he (amoung all the other president canadiates) don't even have control over their own ad's. It's just Bush's own people working for him trying to throw more dirt at Kerry, and Kerry's people are doing the same thing throwing dirt at Bush.

I hope Nightow and Young King Ours steps in and sues the Bush Campaign(sp?), thats just wrong! Woofwood wasnt a yakuza, he was a priest...will...sort of...with a troubled past...and...uhh...stuff...
Ginji

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:48 pm Reply with quote
shikamaru34 wrote:

Quote:
sure he kills people but he's still a priest.

So when priests kill it makes it OK? Shouldn't they NOT kill BECAUSE they are priests?

No no you are missing my point. My point is why would a priest be a member of the yakuza. (ok yes I know a priest could be a member of the yakuza but I just don't see Wolfwood as that kind of guy) The "sure he kills people" part was actually making fun of Wolfwood..
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Having not seen the commercial, I'm still trying to figure out the humourous irony between George W. Bush and Nicholas D. Wolfwood. There HAS to be something..........

I got it! Kerry is so religious and pro-life, etc., that he's taking out all the priests! (Granted, Wolfwood probably was not pro-life by any definition of the word.)

RALPH NADER FOR PRESIDENT 2004!
Because Bush and Kerry cancel each other out.

Last edited by Joe Mello on Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7