• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime releases in parts/seasons?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the thread title is a bit misleading.

Are publishers no longer releasing anime in individual DVDs? Just looking at the recent reviews, It looks like a lot of multi-disc parts of seasons (ie, the Code Gaess Season one part one two or three disc releases from a year or so ago) or whole seasons subs. Have they quit selling individual DVDs?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Have they quit selling individual DVDs?

Of course not. Naruto Shippuden is currently being released one DVD at a time, which is heresy. Blasphemy. Well, its something. Crazy; yeah, that's the word.

However, there has been a massive trend towards releasing Anime in half-seasons, and/or releasing titles in sub-only format. It is more cost-effective and therefore appeals to distributors and consumers alike, both of which have had a rough year (or more).

I think FUNimation is doing it the most. I think they may have even started the trend, possibly because of what they did with all the titles they rescued from Geneon. Or I could be very mistaken, so take that with a grain of salt.

Just to be ultra-blunt about this; I like that they are releasing so much Anime in half-season boxsets. However, I am saddened by the dearth of dubs relative to what we had before. No matter which side of the dub versus sub debate, there is no denying that dubs are necessary to expand Anime's influence and popularity.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
I'm sure that dtm42 knows this, but didn't make clear in his post... but just to clarify. FUNImation started the half season set trend--they still dub everything, however. Other publishers are following the season/half-season trend (ex-ADV, specifically) but can't afford to dub, so those end up being sub-only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
The R1 single volume hasn't quite gone the way of the Dodo Bird yet, but it's getting there. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the switch from singles to half sets, etc., has been driven largely by retailers. As they cut down the shelf space they make available for anime, they obviously don't want a single title taking up a bunch of space. Also, newcomers like myself generally tend to avoid singles unless they come out of TRSI's bargain bin.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
Ok. That's very interesting, and yeah, really beneficial for all involved (except for the dub fans). I'm indifferent towards the hybrid/sub only issue myself, but I can see how that's sort of constricting an already tight industry.
EricJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:35 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The R1 single volume hasn't quite gone the way of the Dodo Bird yet, but it's getting there. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the switch from singles to half sets, etc., has been driven largely by retailers. As they cut down the shelf space they make available for anime, they obviously don't want a single title taking up a bunch of space. Also, newcomers like myself generally tend to avoid singles unless they come out of TRSI's bargain bin.

ADV made fans cynical that single disks would probably come out in a boxset anyway, so why not be patient?
When this crippled the sales of single disks, Funi was the first studio (or perhaps "the last remaining") to cut out the middleman and go directly to the chase.

Had other studios done so earlier, Best Buy might not have been so snarky about all those middle-volume Princess Tutu disks.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Bring back the singles with artboxes! I want me some limited edition goodies!
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

I really think that release model is gone for good in the US. Even the current half season set release model seems to be getting pushed towards full season sets, and utterly barebones releases at that. I don't much like it, but that seems to be the way things are going. I wouldn't mind it so much if these were high quality releases, but cheap in every way seems to be what people want.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
The last series that Funimation released as single volumes were Claymore, Darker Than Black, and Baccano!. Sentai/Section23 releases all their stuff in half seasons. Bandai still basically puts out everything in singles: Hayate, Code Geass R2, upcoming Kurokami (they are in 4 parts but they are still charging alot). 3 and 4 part releases bug the crap out of me for some reason.
Doesn't Media Blasters still release most stuff as singles? Moribito, Genshiken 2, Queen's Blade, etc.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Single releases are slowly dieing, now if Bandai would learn not to release 51 episode series in sub only formats with a disk only holding 7 episodes, and charging the price of a half season boxset with a dub. (I'm pointing to the Hayate release here Confused )

Still as far as half season boxsets go, Funimation is skimming on the extras as of late. Bare bone releases with not that great art for the box covers makes me sad, along with turning me away from buying.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

Hear, hear!

I'm torn between saving money with half season sets and making my shelf look pretty with fancy art boxes. There's an intense battle going on in my head between my cheapskate side and my nerdy collector. MY BRAIN CAN'T TAKE IT!

I wouldn't mind half season sets at all if they were chipboard thinpaks (like Nerima Daikon Bros thinpak).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

I never cared for that. At the time, they'd end up releasing said box with all 7 DVDs anyway. It's not worth an extra 10 bucks for a little figurine.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Media Blasters still releases single DVD volumes, and Naruto: Shipuuden is also getting the single DVD volumes treatment. I remember collecting single DVDs of anime series, and while I didn't mind that, one reason why anime companies are going for half season box sets or full season box sets is because it is easier and cheaper to get, at least now it is. I find collecting the box sets saves time and I catch up on more series. However, there are some anime that do not have box sets, (at least not yet) I'm going for those Trigun Remix DVDs from TRSI, and seeing as the Fushigi Yugi box sets are way too expensive, I will go for the singles. But besides a few titles, much of my anime, specifically long-running series, I get as box sets.

I do miss the single DVDs, mostly because they were different from western TV shows that have always been released as box sets, it made them different, ya know? But the box sets are convenient. So the half season or full season box set I think was a good idea.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem collecting box sets of anime titles that have half a season or the full series as it lets me have the entire series on hand much easier. But it would be appreciated if the special features weren't so barebones. The latest box sets I've been getting from Funimation, there aren't too many special features and the alternate video tracks where you could switch between the English and Japanese versions that were common in Funi's past titles aren't present. All you get is the English video track. I thought Funi was the most better off of all the American anime distributors. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

I never cared for that. At the time, they'd end up releasing said box with all 7 DVDs anyway. It's not worth an extra 10 bucks for a little figurine.

Not just figurines, but pencil boards, postcards, t-shirts, and booklets as well. Take FUNi's initial release of Moonphase for example: a sh*t ton of postcards, a neat book to hold them in, AND booklets packed full of cool info in each individual volume. Amazing artbox as well. Remember those awesome figures that were released with each volume of Scrapped Princess? Those to me were well worth the extra $10. Thank god for Bandai releasing the translated Code Geass booklets with the first season limited editions. If we are only going to get the show itself from now on FUNi, I'll just wait for Blu-rays... I mean come on, if your going to lack on the digital extras and packaging quality at least give us some sort of physical incentive to buy the DVD's as half seasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2