• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Skull Man, Maria Holic Anime in February

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

I have a friend who watched it fansubbed, and she liked it. And based on the first volume of the manga, I can tell that I'd probably like it. The opening and ending songs/animation are good/interesting, too.

Well there has been divergent opinions of the title especially with the premise which seems like an utter slap towards yuri fans.

Oh wow, well, I consider myself a yuri fan, so I'll have to see. I didn't notice anything major in the first volume, but I don't know where it goes ... at least they are up front about one of the lead female characters actually being male from the beginning, though?

I heard the same complaints about Kashimashi, though ... since a boy gets turned into a girl.

Personally, it doesn't bother me, but I'm also not a lesbian, so I can't speak for everyone.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Well there has been divergent opinions of the title especially with the premise which seems like an utter slap towards yuri fans.

I'm aware there's mixed feelings about Maria Holic, but that's one of the gripes? I'm a yuri fan, and I just found it funny.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
Guys these topics always turn to dub vs sub, stop your fighting and be glad it's being released.

Who is arguing dub vs. sub? We are arguing price and whether it's reasonable. You can't have this discussion without pointing out that dubbing costs more money and therefore the price is higher. I'm not saying that one is better than the other.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Viz: >_> Idoits..................... Believe it!!!!
Thanks for the laughs. Very Happy

It is nice to see Section23 picking up the pace and trying to get back into the game. I am slightly interested in Maria Holic since I have the first volume of the manga from Tokyopop. If only Section23 would make a YouTube channel and post up episodes, it would help out in my decision to go buy the anime.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Yay, more Sentai licenses! Sentai are right behind Nozomi as being my favourite licensor (Nozomi wins out for better packaging, and less errors) It's always good to see more niche titles getting released.
Maria-holic looks interesting - more yuri for my shelf.
Also, Sentai's pricing is VERY fair. But I'm an old school fan who remembers the days of 2 episodes per tape, sub or dub, for $45. I know, I keep saying this, but seriously, anime is so cheap these days, that I find it shocking to hear someone complain about Sentai's pricing. But...considering who that someone is, I shouldn't be too shocked to hear complaints about Sentai.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
If only Section23 would make a YouTube channel and post up episodes, it would help out in my decision to go buy the anime.

Via Section23's partnership with Anime Network they do.

Anime Network posts episodes for most of the new Sentai Filmworks and Section23 Films shows, at least or two episodes of sneak peak for free - and Anime Network also holds special events where all the premium and membership content is free for 24 hours (Halloween, Thanksgiving recently).
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Sentai pick up some more titles, though I was honestly a bit surprised to see them both licensed. I have a few friends that had been hoping for Maria Holic, so they should be happy.

As for subtitling errors, the most recent Sentai releases have all been very good. The only error I could find in Tears to Tiara was a word that seemed out of place, play instead of place, but I don't know Japanese well enough to know if it was incorrect or not.

Also, I love how some people are comparing the MSRP for Sentai releases, to the retailer prices for Funimation sets. That's an apples to oranges comparison. If you're going to compare the two, then at least compare them fairly.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
SXAniMedia wrote:
Thanks for the information. I will take a look at the Youtube channel when I have a chance. Do you know if the Youtube channel or the main website has more content than the other?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Quote:
And who says that the subs will be bad? People bitch about sub problems ALL THE TIME, but I honestly never notice them. Guess I'm too busy enjoying the show instead of nitpicking

How in the hell can you enjoy the show when what your watching you haf to read and as your reading (not watching) the grammar and spell is all Jacked up?? How in the hell is it possible for you to enjoy anything?

I swear some people are blind by deception..

Because the subtitles blend into the picture, and a normal human should be able to read and take in the entire picture with no problem and almost no detraction from the show. It's not that hard, but I guess some people aren't attuned to doing it. I'm sorry you have to watch the dub for Life is Beautiful and other such films.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
SXAniMedia wrote:
Thanks for the information. I will take a look at the Youtube channel when I have a chance. Do you know if the Youtube channel or the main website has more content than the other?

The main website ( www.theanimenetwork.com ) has all their new premium and membership content, but also free older shows and free sneak previews.

YouTube has mostly their older shows, but for free.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

How in the hell can you enjoy the show when what your watching you haf to read and as your reading (not watching) the grammar and spell is all Jacked up?? How in the hell is it possible for you to enjoy anything?

Because the subtitles blend into the picture, and a normal human should be able to read and take in the entire picture with no problem and almost no detraction from the show. It's not that hard, but I guess some people aren't attuned to doing it. I'm sorry you have to watch the dub for Life is Beautiful and other such films.

He watches fansubs. Clannad is his favourite show, so obviously he watches subs. He just pretends that he can't read subtitles when it comes time to pay for them.
geishageek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I am so excited for The Skull Man. I never thought in a million years it would ever get released. Allthought the ending was somewhat lack luster, I will still be buying this on release day! That announcement totally made my day!
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Quark"]
Quote:
He watches fansubs. Clannad is his favourite show, so obviously he watches subs. He just pretends that he can't read subtitles when it comes time to pay for them.

No..... I pay for what I watch....... If dubbed. I I just think that subtitled only DVD's are a waste of time be it Anime or any other gibberish thrown on with subs DVD/Bluray.... For Anime I think subtitle DVD's are a lazy effort and I also don't support Laziness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Mario1234567"]
Quark wrote:
Quote:

No..... I pay for what I watch....... If dubbed. I I just think that subtitled only DVD's are a waste of time be it Anime or any other gibberish thrown on with subs DVD/Bluray.... For Anime I think subtitle DVD's are a lazy effort and I also don't support Laziness.

What? Shocked

How on earth is releasing anime DVD's with subtitle "lazy"? These companies still have to negotiate to get the license, pay for that, make R1 high quality DVD's, work with people to create the subtitles, and probably a ton of other things that I don't know about since I don't work in the industry. It costs them A LOT of money to bring us anime - even if it's just subbed ... and these are businesses, so they aren't going to shell out the thousands of dollars extra it would cost to dub the shoes (somebody who knows, please chime in with how much extra it costs to dub... but I know it isn't *cheap*). They are running businesses - to make money. Adding a dub isn't going to make thousands, or even hundreds of more people buy the show - so if they aren't expecting a lot of people, they aren't going to waste the money on a dub.

They don't owe us a dub ... these are foreign shows. They are bringing these shows to us legally at a fair price - we should be happy. Now, I prefer dubs, and I love them, but if I like a show or want to see it, I definitely don't mind watching subtitles.

The grown-up world of money and business runs a lot differently than you think it does ... I really hope that you are, like, 14 and have an excuse for spouting such nonsense.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
[quote="jenthehen"]
Mario1234567 wrote:
Quark wrote:
Quote:

What? Shocked

How on earth is releasing anime DVD's with subtitle "lazy"? These companies still have to negotiate to get the license, pay for that, make R1 high quality DVD's, work with people to create the subtitles, and probably a ton of other things that I don't know about since I don't work in the industry. It costs them A LOT of money to bring us anime - even if it's just subbed ... and these are businesses, so they aren't going to shell out the thousands of dollars extra it would cost to dub the shoes (somebody who knows, please chime in with how much extra it costs to dub... but I know it isn't *cheap*). They are running businesses - to make money. Adding a dub isn't going to make thousands, or even hundreds of more people buy the show - so if they aren't expecting a lot of people, they aren't going to waste the money on a dub.

They don't owe us a dub ... these are foreign shows. They are bringing these shows to us legally at a fair price - we should be happy. Now, I prefer dubs, and I love them, but if I like a show or want to see it, I definitely don't mind watching subtitles.

The grown-up world of money and business runs a lot differently than you think it does ... I really hope that you are, like, 14 and have an excuse for spouting such nonsense.

You're wasting your time with this guy jen. He raves about Clannad and goes WAAY out of this way to express his love for dubbing, but the funny thing is everyone knows Clannad only had a sub release. Seems like he thinks his favorite show is a 'waste of time' now. Make your mind up man.

I'm all for Maria Holic. Thank you Sentai, always thought that one had a slim chance of making it here. Definitely be picking that and many others up in February.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7