• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Former ADV Dubbing Studio Voices Halo Legends Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:30 am Reply with quote
SXAniMedia wrote:
Well, I for one think this is awesome news for the new-companies-that-formed-from-ADV to land such a high profile title. Kudos to them! Hopefully this will open doors for them to acquire more titles/do more dubs given the opportunities and clientele this could open up to.

Typical forum stuff... So when a company doesn't dub, people complain and when a company dubs, people complain? Rolling Eyes

As far as good quality - ADV's dubs have been consistent favorites with critics and fans - even with all the problems going on last year, ANN awarded dub of the year to ADV's Wallflower production, and AoD gave the nod of Best Dub/Director to ADV's Kanon and Best Overlooked dub to Welcome to the NHK.

ADV is sub par in my eyes. But that's because when Air had a pretty decent dub for the Dream and Air arc, and the Summer arc sucked big time. And the summer arc had one of the most unpleasant performances for Kanna. I don't remember the VA's name but she wasn't suited for it. It felt like it was forced.

But again, that's just me. I completely failed to think about them actually getting the voice actors from the games so I retract my comment.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
SXAniMedia wrote:
Well, I for one think this is awesome news for the new-companies-that-formed-from-ADV to land such a high profile title. Kudos to them! Hopefully this will open doors for them to acquire more titles/do more dubs given the opportunities and clientele this could open up to.

Typical forum stuff... So when a company doesn't dub, people complain and when a company dubs, people complain? Rolling Eyes

As far as good quality - ADV's dubs have been consistent favorites with critics and fans - even with all the problems going on last year, ANN awarded dub of the year to ADV's Wallflower production, and AoD gave the nod of Best Dub/Director to ADV's Kanon and Best Overlooked dub to Welcome to the NHK.

ADV is sub par in my eyes. But that's because when Air had a pretty decent dub for the Dream and Air arc, and the Summer arc sucked big time. And the summer arc had one of the most unpleasant performances for Kanna. I don't remember the VA's name but she wasn't suited for it. It felt like it was forced.

But again, that's just me. I completely failed to think about them actually getting the voice actors from the games so I retract my comment.

And here I thought Cynthia Martinez did a good job as Princess Kanna.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

Wait.. you don't like ADV's dubs because one character from one series who was only in a few episodes didn't sound good to you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I have NEVER heard a single good dub come from ADV. Ever. And I own quite a few great series that ADV released, but their dubs are all borderline unwatchable. I'm honestly kind of baffled by where this "omg ADV did awesome dubs" business is coming from.

There is a reason that only a handful of ADV's old standbys still get regular work dubbing anime (especially on anything vaguely high profile) now that ADV is gone...
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:

There is a reason that only a handful of ADV's old standbys still get regular work dubbing anime (especially on anything vaguely high profile) now that ADV is gone...

Wow. Sounds like trolling, but I'll take the bait.

A lot of the talent that ADV have hired or cultivated over the years have become some of the biggest names in the industry (Vic Mignogna, Chris Patton, Luci Christian, to name a few).

ADV's stable of talent is one of the few outside Los Angeles where VAs are talented enough to get work around the world for dubbing, whether it be getting jobs from LA for mainstream anime or videogames to having voice actors appear on TV, Movies (like Sin City) and stable of comedians that get on hit programs like Frank TV or do well in Last Comic Standing.

Funimation clearly thought well of them to have them reprise their roles for one of the bigger franchises (Eva) - when Funimation could have recasted it from scratch completely.

As far as not getting consistent work, that has to do more with location. Texas isn't LA, the opportunities for high profile work is less. And I'm sure anyone realizes the Anime industry has been hit hard in the last few years. Budgets and the amount of anime being dubbed anywhere have fallen significantly. A lot of VAs live in Houston and have other jobs, don't want to travel or have lives that keep them localized for work. So I'm not sure that last part is any indication of anything.

Regardless of what you or I say - it's the client that matters. Microsoft and Warner Brothers were clearly pleased with Appleseed Ex Machina to go ahead with the production choices/studio here... And from my sources within the various companies, they and the creators are pleased with how Halo Legends adaptation turned out. So, good for Seraphim and new-ADV!

I guess neo-ADV will have to dub some little moe anime to get more people around here happy. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by SXAniMedia on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jih2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry but do we even know if the Master Chief even appears here?
Prede

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
SXAniMedia wrote:

ADV's stable of talent is one of the few outside Los Angeles where VAs are talented enough to get work around the world for dubbing, whether it be getting jobs from LA for mainstream anime or videogames to having voice actors appear on TV, Movies (like Sin City) and stable of comedians that get on hit programs like Frank TV or do well in Last Comic Standing.

For a second there I thought you said they were the only major ones outside LA Razz . I was about to point to the dub done for the "Viva Piñata" video game in New York City, or how the the dubbing for both "Kappa Mikey" (NYAV Post) and the "Venture Brothers" were done in New York. or all the other work the New York City area gets besides anme dubs. And then there's all the stuff the studios in Vancouver can get. But of course of all people your probally aware of this Wink .

But yes ADV's studio (Amusement Park Media/ Seraphim) is another one of the few studios to get work outside LA. They have produced some of the best anime dubs ever made in my opinion, and their talent pool is quite large and full of very talented actors. Many of their actors have gone to dub elsewhere (i.e. Amanda Winn-Lee and Spike Spencer in L.A., and Greg Ayres, Luci Christian, Monica Rial and the rest for Funimation, Jessica Calvello in New York... and many others.... Hell these people came from ADV's studio. If their dubs were so bad how come these people are such well respected actors who work in other studios now? sigh...I doubt so many great people would be found among a studio putting out poor dubs) They have done a lot of dubs over there years, and they have always been of very high quality. I really can't see how anyone would have a problem with anything they've worked on. From their older stuff to their newer stuff it's all great. I understand people complaining about Ocean, as their older stuff was not up to par sometimes, I understand complains about New York and Funi's studio as well. But not ADV's studio...come on now.

Well can't please everyone I guess.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I've been involved with MetatronM in several forums over the years and I've never seen him start a argument just for the "fun" of it. If MetatronM says he doesn't like something he means it.

That said, MetatronM, I didn't realize you had such a dislike of a ADV voice actors. I have to disagree with you that there are no good ADV dubs though. I can only think of one region where I can't think of at least one good dub right off the top of my head. However, to fair to that region (New York} I simply haven't seen enough shows dubbed using their actors to really comment on whether they haven't done a good dub or I just haven't seen enough shows from them to have heard a outstanding one from them yet.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the "The Babysitter" the voice works sounds pretty damn good if you ask me.
Prede

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:02 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
However, to fair to that region (New York} I simply haven't seen enough shows dubbed using their actors to really comment on whether they haven't done a good dub or I just haven't seen enough shows from them to have heard a outstanding one from them yet.

New York has some of my all time favorite dubs Wink. There are some excellent gems buried beneath the horror 4Kids has left that city in Razz . If your looking for some great dubs from that city you can't go wrong with:

Domain of Murder - NYAV Post
Now and Then Here and There - Taj Studios Inc
Slayers - Tact Studios
Animation Runner Kuromi - Mercury Productions
Ping Pong Club - Taj Studios Inc
Alien Nine - Beatstreet Studios
The World of Narue
Silent Service
Kare Kano - Headline
To Heart - Headline
Shingu - Headline
Ninja Nonsense - NYAV Post
...many others too

Anyway to get back on topic, it's kind of illogical to say "all dubs from that studio/region are bad". Even Odex dubs can sound alright Razz . It usually comes down to a specific title in question, which then depends greatly on many other factors. And even poorly done dubs have something good going for them most of the time (one actor doing a decent job, a great script, good casting, etc). And if there's one studio that, as of yet, has never produced a real stinker of a dub, that would be Amusement Park Media/ADV. I can't really say that about any other studio. And to say "all ADV dubs are bad" really makes me question what someone looks for in a dub...

Last edited by Prede on Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I have to agree with Prede. I've heard some pretty bad dubs from Bang Zoom, Ocean, Funimation, but ADV is the only studio that's never put out a dub so bad that I had to turn to the Japanese track. True, they have had some dubs that weren't stellar by any means, like any studio, but these were generally older dubs. I know Eva for instance, gets a lot of slack, but it's pretty damn good if you compare it to what other studios were putting out back then.

I think when taken as whole, ADV/APM's track record is much more solid than just about any other studio. And I love Kana's voice in Air, BTW. She was actually one of my favorite performances in the show.
Zero Gravity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
I have to wait until February? Why don't you guys just shove a nail up my nose
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
ADV is the only studio that's never put out a dub so bad that I had to turn to the Japanese track.

There are two that I can personally recall - Nadesico and Elfen Lied. I couldn't put my finger on anything specifically wrong with the latter, but for the former it was Ruri.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
There are two that I can personally recall - Nadesico

At first I was like "WTF!"

and then you said
Quote:
it was Ruri

and I was like, "Yea, I understand that"

Maybe you just don't like Kira-Vincent Davis who does both Ruri in Nadesico and Lucy in Elfen Lied. Since I love Kira, I'll defend her by saying that that was one of her first roles and definitely her first big role with a lot of lines.

I'm a huge dub fan and dubs only fall into two categories: Good or Bad. About 98% of them fall into the former because I'm not picky like others are. I think most(maybe all) ADV dubs fall in the good, but I don't like Cynthia Martinez. She's a good actor, but I can't stand her commentary tracks because she's so loud and hyper. I bet the other actors just want to punch her in the face sometimes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Prede

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
ADV is the only studio that's never put out a dub so bad that I had to turn to the Japanese track.

There are two that I can personally recall - Nadesico and Elfen Lied. I couldn't put my finger on anything specifically wrong with the latter, but for the former it was Ruri.

I have not heard either dubs (yet). But I've heard some complaints against the dub on Elfen Lied before, so I'll have to check that one out to see what everyone's problem with it is. As for Nadesico I heard that was quite a dub back in the day. I own it on DVD, so I'll have to get to watching it sooner, rather then later. But one bad actor does not = bad dub. It's not a total wipe if one actor is not up to par.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3