• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost Hound Sub.DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Subtitling errors are a bummer, especially when there's no dub, but I'm buying this regardless. This kind of show is definitely my cup of tea.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
[Mod Edit: Please stop trolling. We know, you won't buy it if it's not a dub, but just saying "no dub, no buy" fails to add to the discussion and rules specifically state that if you're just posting a one-liner that isn't going to add to the discussion then don't post at all. - Keonyn]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
There are subtitle errors, but they didn't take anything away from my enjoyment of the show. It's little things like misspelling "here" for "hear" and not saying "drink?" when someone passes a bottle of water and says "nomimono"?

I've only seen the officially released Sentai dvd, so I don't know anything about the ending yet, but so far I am in love with this series. Aside from the plot and sound, the setting also mesmerizes me. Kind of like Twin Peaks meets Higurashi.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Report trolls. Don't feed them.

-Keonyn
Labbes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I hate to have to wait until Christmas. The problem with being an importer is that I always have to order stuff in bulks, but I will be glad when I can finally do a rewatch. Preferrably at night, alone, in a darkened room. That would be awesome.
The sound design alone makes this show worth watching, it really adds up to the eerie, evil-lurking-around-the-corner feel it sometimes has.
Then, the show has likeable characters and a great story. What more could you ask for, besides a better ending (I don't complain, but many do)?
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
No buy.... Waste of a good show.

Yeah just like Clannad right? It's your loss if you want to miss out on a good show I guess.

Last edited by jmfsilenthill on Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I'm less likely to buy a show if there's no dub as well. However, just saying "No buy" or "No dub, no buy" doesn't add anything to the discussion Mario. One-liners like that don't contribute, and if you're not going to contribute to the discussion then don't post in it please. Particularly when the one-liner also has the adverse effect of attracting negative responses, as you're crossing in to trolling territory at that point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Great review. I agree with much of it, save for the less-than-stellar animation grade and the spirit forms of the boys being considered to be "too cutesy."

As far as the animation in Ghost Hound goes, I consider it to be top-notch. As HellKorn already said, a lot of attention is given to body language and other subtle movements that other anime tend to ignore for budgetary reasons. [I've also noticed lately that Theron tends to feel that series with lots of extra movement (like Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens and K-ON!, to name a couple other examples) have unremarkable animation. Why is that?] The CGI is extremely well integrated also, to the point where it is nigh unnoticeable. Taking all of this into consideration, it's easy to see that Production I.G had a sizable animation budget for Ghost Hound and that they used it well. As for the spirit forms, the word "cute" never entered my mind once when I first watched the series. More like the polar opposite, making them especially creepy. Also considering how spoiler[their forms change later on in the series]; no, they definitely aren't cute at all. I can understand gripes over the cutesiness of Miyako's character design, but the spirit forms? Give me a break.

Hunter Sopko wrote:
I actually recommend headphones over surround sound for the full effect on this one.

Oh yes, definitely use headphones. In fact, Ghost Hound and Shigurui: Death Frenzy are the only two series where I strongly advise the usage of headphones while watching them. Surround sound works too, but headphones (especially the noise-cancelling kind) work so much better when you want to be sucked into the atmosphere.

vashfanatic wrote:
HellKorn wrote:
Aside from some moments in Mononoke, I've never been frightened when watching an anime.

2) Never seen Perfect Blue?

He's a big fan of Satoshi Kon, so of course he's seen Perfect Blue.

Last edited by Jedi General on Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
As long as it's not a huge grammatical error that has zero excuse, I see no reason why a few bugs would ruin your experience.

Font matters more to be than anything. AnimEigo and Geneon had some nice fonts, but dear god the terrible FUNImation subs are just...ugh. They look like really cheap fansubs.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like a show that would really fit my tastes. I think I'll rent out the first disc or two on Netflix to see if I like it, then buy the series if I enjoy it like I think I will. I've been wanting some more psychological shows lately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
To clarify on the subtitle errors things: this is not a case of a bad translation (I think the subtitles are probably quite good in that respect) or someone who doesn't know English well typing it up. Nearly all of the mistakes I noticed are purely of the kind that I have occasionally caught myself making when quickly typing up reviews, where I'll accidentally skip over including a word that obviously should be there. (Example: meaning to type "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" but actually typing "the quick brown jumped over the lazy dog" instead.) It's entirely possible that these kind of errors may not register for many people unless you actually stop and review the lines a second time, but a combination of Sentai's traditionally poor track record on this point and my personal error-editing training (I do SAT and ACT prep as a side job) make me very sensitive to that kind of thing.

Jedi General wrote:
he CGI is extremely well integrated also, to the point where it is nigh unnoticeable.

Um, no, it isn't. In fact, the vast majority of the time I found it glaringly obvious when they were using CG. I may not be the world's best judge of animation quality, but even I can recognize mediocre CG integration (by current standards) when I see it. There are series which do it vastly better than this.

Quote:
As for the spirit forms, the word "cute" never entered my mind once when I first watched the series. More like the polar opposite, making them especially creepy.

Once the boys started transforming their spirit forms, yes. In their initial forms, though, they were so cutesy that it threw me.

And I didn't find Miyako to be extraordinarily cute, BTW. She actually gave me more of a creepy feel at times than the boys' initial spirit forms did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
he CGI is extremely well integrated also, to the point where it is nigh unnoticeable.

Um, no, it isn't. In fact, the vast majority of the time I found it glaringly obvious when they were using CG. I may not be the world's best judge of animation quality, but even I can recognize mediocre CG integration (by current standards) when I see it. There are series which do it vastly better than this.

Ghost Hound is no GitS: Innocence or a Stand Alone Complex, where CGI is very well-integrated. However, I would argue that there are shows where even when you know it's CGI, it does not interrupt the flow. The best example I can come up with is Gankutsuou, where it's really obvious when they use CGI, but it does look really pretty and futuristic (obviously).

So while Ghost Hound does not have perfect CGI integration, I would say that it did not detract from my viewing experience.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Ghost Hound is no GitS: Innocence or a Stand Alone Complex, where CGI is very well-integrated. However, I would argue that there are shows where even when you know it's CGI, it does not interrupt the flow. The best example I can come up with is Gankutsuou, where it's really obvious when they use CGI, but it does look really pretty and futuristic (obviously).

Well, with Gankutsuou, the obvious CGI was a part of the overall artistic style. While at times the misfit quality of the CGI in Ghost Hound adds to creepy factor, it doesn't fit an overall scheme, and so yes, it does stand out awkwardly when they use it.

That said, I've seen it done way worse than this. I'm still looking forward to reviews of Dragonaut when it comes out next month. Laughing
NDenizen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
It's often that the very same people who say "anime is declining" are the exact same people who ignore really creative and intriguing shows like this.

I absolutely loved Ghost Hound when it aired, enough to watch it RAW (pretty dumb considering how much psychobabble there was), so to see it get the attention it deserves is really cool. If it ever comes to the UK i will happily buy it.
REDOG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Chiaki Konaka said he wanted Ghost Hound to be spiritual anime.

One needs to be more accurate here. The series is legally psychological only in themes not in it's theories which is usually from the psuedo science area (and an old psuedo science). Even the treatment methods the psychologist give to taro are considered by most as alternative therapies (if i remember correctly that is), and they are pretty (watch for the word pretty) recent ones.

As for occult there is more natural and ancient form of occult in this anime. like shamanism (which is part of old shinto) and like minded staff (you can see it in the old men in the woods and especially in the last episode).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3