• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maryland School Library to Remove Dragon Ball Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Um, excuse me but WTF?!
yblees

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
angieness wrote:
Well, looking through the first volume
-Goku beats up a fish naked
-Bulma offers Goku a chance to touch her butt in exchange for a dragon ball
-Bulma bathes Goku
-Bulma bathes, provided it doesn't show anything
-Goku does "pat pat" on Bulma's crotch as she sleep and lays his head down on there and proceeds to take her panties off.
-Master Roshi asks Bulma to see her panties
etc.

Laughing Laughing
OK, I fully support removing this from elementary school libraries.
Can you imagine if your impressionable 9 year olds suddenly started a fad for trying to look at girls' panties??!!
*riots ensue*
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
My old High School had the first Dragonball GN and a few parents complained about it. Fortunately the school didn't consider the material to explicit for high schooler's so it wasn't removed.
I SHALL WIN THE INTERNETZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
I'm pretty sure Animaniacs had FAR more innuendo than Dragon Ball ever did, and nobody ever made a stink about that. Geez laweez, people seriously need to stop being such frakking hypocrites.

lets not forget rocko's modern life http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_-PLvel7Rc
and 2 stupid dogs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-2yg-eFCnM

stuff like that slip by and we're still complaining about a show(or a manga in this case) thats older than those shows.

facleplam.png

And I cant get the silly URL text to work properly. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? malformed video ID?
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
...if I weren't so certain they were carrying guns.

Violent neighbourhood, huh.
Some kids nowadays like horror movies, instead of anime or cartoon. I wouldn't doubt there're 9 years old kids out there eviler than me. But of course, society will negate that until the end of the days.
After all, in my entire life the only things I killed were cute birds, spiders, snakes and lizards.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow

Ok my school library carry's yaoi and there fussing over Dragon ball?
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, yes, the early volumes of Dragon Ball do have some sexual humor that contrasts pretty sharply with the series' "for kids" image. That's why Viz slapped a big ol' "T for Teen" label on the back. Maybe these people should actually look at the books they're getting for their kids before they buy them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Annoying, but hardly surprising. And let's face it, this is apolitical, this knows no "wing", this is just oversensitivity, and hysteria plain and simple.

Now, frankly, it's probably not the best idea to have Dragon Ball in an elementary school library. Regardless of how the Japanese see it as appropriate for their tykes, American mentality is different, for better or worse (in this case, probably worse). You can argue until you're blue in the face, but the idiots will always win here. Pick your battles.

Still, that this woman who was offended wishes to remain unidentified is absurd. She is a coward without any real conviction. They should have dismissed it entirely on that basis alone.

To me, censorship is unacceptable. I'm not even for keeping bad words and nudity off of network television. Honestly, the world isn't run by children, let them deal with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Ah Pittsville, now you can be known for something other than being "that gas station before the beach." Smile

Unfortunately I know of quite a few librarians who do the "read about the book without reading it" strategy to choose what they stock school shelves with in our area - and I'm not blaming them (there's more coming out each month than one can possibly read), but it seems DB has the teen rating and so shouldn't be on an elementary school shelf at all.

A lot of anime fans forget the cultural differences - even in trying to stock our library, I had to push to get clear guidelines outside of "Use the age of the protagonist or the target demographic" - what's acceptable in Japan is no indicator of what's acceptable here and with people having knee-jerk reactions and jumping to actions such as lawsuits as they do, I wouldn't be surprised to see more area schools scrutinizing their graphic novels more closely to not be associated with such a thing. Whether or not you are personally offended by these things is not the point - whatever the ideology of the local "of age" taxpayers is going to alter the decision of institutions such as schools and libraries on what to stock.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Children are gonna be exposed to stuff just by watching t.v. and movies. And in some cases they are gonna learn stuff from talking to friends at school(etc..) and hearing their parents talk to each other(and also including the parents talking to their friends while the children ease drop and listen in!!).

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
leoncloud

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
As if American comics and cartoons aren't filled with clique sexual innuendos all the time. Its cause you have these over protective anal parents that's why you got dumb kids out there.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I think you have be more subtle in American cartoons. Like any adult can see all the homosexual innuendos on Spongebob Squarepants(mostly in the Baby Scallop episode), but a little kid wouldn't see unless he specifically knew to look for it. I think that's part of the appeal of American children's cartoons for adults, watching them for crap that only got in the episodes because no little kid would ever realize what it was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ClocktowerKyon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
This kind of shit happens all the time: some dumbass parent doesn't monitor what their kids are doing, and then get in a huge BF because they didn't do their job correctly and attack the media instead of admitting it was their own fault. What fun the future generation of America will be!
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
ClocktowerKyon wrote:
This kind of shit happens all the time: some dumbass parent doesn't monitor what their kids are doing, and then get in a huge BF because they didn't do their job correctly and attack the media instead of admitting it was their own fault. What fun the future generation of America will be!

To be fair, this parent didn't attack the media. She didn't tell VIZ or Funimation to stop publishing Dragon Ball. She just requested the local elementary school not let kids read a manga with nudity in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Who was the idiot librarian who bought a 13+ manga for an elementary school? I have no problem with them pulling the book. It's their job to keep age-inappropriate materials out of elementary school libraries. If parents want their kids to read them, then they can check them out of public libraries or buy them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7