• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What was your first anime experience?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:56 am Reply with quote
I would like know what was your first anime expearence. Mine was one morning I was going watch Animaniacs on TV when Sailor Moon came on insteid. I had seen Sailor Moon doll comercels just few days eailer. I was a fan of Power Ragers and shows that resembeled it, but Sailor Moon was my favorte. My dad thought it was just a phase but he was wrong. In 1998 just when my Pwer Rnagers interst was waning I got into another anime, Pokemon and 2 years later I embraced the otaku life. I am now a fan of 12 difernt anime seires, I am also awating the rellases Dokkoier, and Mermaid Melody: Pichi, Pichi Pitch. I still like Sailor Moon. What was yours?

Last edited by Angel Lily on Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:35 am Reply with quote
The first anime I saw were Akira, The Guyver, and Vampire Hunter D. I was about 11 and thought they looked a heck of a lot cooler than U.S. cartoons. But of course I still enjoyed them both (when there a LOT of good U.S. toons, that is.)

Later, I became more interested in anime after watching the Ocean Group dubs of DBZ. And I basically just kind of found things on my own. Yup, that's pretty much my anime progression in a nutshell. Razz

And welcome to the forums! Wink
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:41 am Reply with quote
mmm... so long ago. the first time i saw an anime and knew it was from japan was over at my friends house when i was about 9 or 10. the first one i saw was Vampire Hunter D. i still remember that one after all these years. i also saw Fist of the North Star and Guyver. i dont remember the fine plot points of those, but i do remember somethings that were burned into my young mind forever Twisted Evil
but i really got into anime with Cowboy Bebop and Akira
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:45 am Reply with quote
The first anime I saw was Sailor Moon. I was a HUGE fan of it for so long, and then DBZ came out and I loved that too. But I would have to say the anime that "broke my cherry" per se, is Akira. It may have been the third anime that I ever saw, but it was the first one that effected me a lot.

~LoneWolf
Griini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:49 am Reply with quote
The first anime i saw must have been Ninja Scroll at my friends place for many many years a go. We were like 15 years old and Ninja Scroll was the coolest thing i had ever seen. After i saw Akira i was totally hooked.

-Griini
trlman99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:21 am Reply with quote
The first anime i watched (even though i dont think i knew it was from japan) was DBZ. In fact, im still a fan of dbz but only for nastalgia's sake. I was really young and this was when it was on fox at like 7 in the morning. After that around puberty time or maybe a little later (its hard to remember) i would watch toonami (the sailor scouts are HOT). After that i really only watched dbz for a while. Then when i was sixteen (maybe 15? or 14? i don't know but im 18 now) during the summer i came accross Yu yu hakusho. From there I've exploaded into an ever expanding love of anime. Some of my favs are Hellsing, Mononoke Hime, last exile, but my all time favorite is still yu yu hakusho. iv bought all of the dark tournament and am beginning chapter black and plan on buying the beginning episodes soon.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:54 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing my first anime shows as a child in Hong Kong. This was in the early 1970s, and the shows were predictably giant robot-y. Except, of course, for Kimba the White Lion, which was instantly recognizable as a gem of the medium, even to a child.

Of course, later on, Kimba's story got ripped off by a certain ruthless American megacorporation, known for its questionable approach to classic works. But that's another story. Wink

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
UberTai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:03 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Of course, later on, Kimba's story got ripped off by a certain ruthless American megacorporation, known for its questionable approach to classic works. But that's another story. Wink

Boy, I sure do love the Lion King =P

My first introduction into anime was Pokemon. Although I did know it was from Japan, I did not make the accessment that it was anime (which I guess is ironic in a way). My first "real" anime was Card Captor Sakura. And that, my friends, remains my favorite series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:04 am Reply with quote
I used to live in the Philippines and anime is very popular there. I remember watching the Philippine English dub of DBZ, Yaiba, Slayers, Akazukin Chacha, Ranma 1/2, and Yuyu hakusho. But I really got into anime during the Pokemon thing (I was 12 okay!)
C_Brightshadow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:03 pm Reply with quote
When I was in elementary school I watched some random anime when I was in Korea for several months, Gundum, some obscure one called K-Cops, and Gatchaman. Of course, back then I didn't know what anime was.

The first anime I saw and knew what I was is Princess Mononoke in the theatres. Now, that was a blast.
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:35 pm Reply with quote
The first anime i saw, like many of you, was Sailor moon. I then sorta just got hooked on toonami and started watching all of the anime programs on there. I'm not exactly sure how i came across the show except for the fact that i was spending the summer with my grandmother and that i saw it on Cartoon Network. When i got back, my friend introduced me to DBZ and Guyver.
AHZ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've told this story a few times on this board already--but damn it, I never get tired of it, so here goes:

My very first experience would have to be watching Voltron as a kid of maybe 6 or 7 years of age. Then a few years later I went over a friends house and he showed me his copy of "The Fist of the North Star" that he had been bragging about.

I loved that movie--it was violent and graphic and a hell of a lot better than any animation I had seen before that; I was probably about 11 years old at that time.

Then a few years after that, I caught a late night showing of "Vampire Hunter D" on cable tv. I thought that was the best work of animation I had ever seen, and since then I've been a loyal fan of anime.

Man, that story gets better every time I tell it. Cool
Rygar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:55 pm Reply with quote
is hentai considered anime?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Rygar wrote:
is hentai considered anime?

Yeah
Fandrez

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:24 pm Reply with quote
My first anime experience was seeing either Salior Moon or DBZ. I was like 7 or 8 and was watching CN to pass time. Then they show up and I like the shows. Of course, I didn't know what these shows were called at the time and just called them cartoons. I didn't have a big intrest in anime until about 2 years ago. (Me is 14)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8