• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 09-23-09

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
marzipan.dragon wrote:
I hope Myoopi has a nice visit.

Myoopi + birthday party = vet becomes a recurring character
dtm42 wrote:
Grandma Rosa don't have no arms.

The important thing is to not let let the thought spoiler[80-year old Kuu-tan] slip into your mind. *shudder* Off to my nightmares now.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Ever heard of Shota-con? Or Momiji in Fruits Basket and Hunny in Ouran?

I've heard of Shota-con, but you've got it wrong. Shota-con is an adult having a crush on a boy. What I'm repulsed by is the idea of adult men that look like prepubescent girls, which is something else entirely different than Shota-con (which I'm also not too keen on). I know I should be surprised really, given all the shows (not to mention games) which have young girls with DD breasts or adult women who look like they're seven. But to have the gender change as well is, well, icky.

I haven't watched Ouran High School Host Club or Fruits Basket, and now I'm glad I haven't.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Ever heard of Shota-con? Or Momiji in Fruits Basket and Hunny in Ouran?

I've heard of Shota-con, but you've got it wrong. Shota-con is an adult having a crush on a boy. What I'm repulsed by is the idea of adult men that look like prepubescent girls, which is something else entirely different than Shota-con (which I'm also not too keen on). I know I should be surprised really, given all the shows (not to mention games) which have young girls with DD breasts or adult women who look like they're seven. But to have the gender change as well is, well, icky.

I haven't watched Ouran High School Host Club or Fruits Basket, and now I'm glad I haven't.

Well, to be fair, Hunny is a parody of characters like Momiji, and they both look more like little boys than girls, despite being post-pubescent teenagers. But Momiji prefers the girls' uniform...

Anyway, I gotta kick out of Grandma Rosa. Hope she returns. I think most Otaku have friends or relatives who just don't get it. Smile
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
this had me grin a little though grandma's reaction just gave me a "what the?" thought
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
My family save a few cousins really have no idea about my hobby. I mean, they know I'm into something called "anime" that are cartoons from Japan, but they have no idea what said cartoons contain... and god willing it will stay that way.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:34 am Reply with quote
The elderly lady appears somewhat more courteous in enquiring into others' interests than many people I know of. To have laughed at Kevin's confession is far from the worst thing that could have happened. Indeed, she seems to have a certain zeal when discussing the topic- my grandmother would probably hold no interest whatsoever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:56 am Reply with quote
Keven, She's tagged your bag mate. So Paola watches yaoi with Granny. Nice one. Wink
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm, why did you delete your post? And here I was about to respond to it.

But as to what you said, no, I don't think I've ever watched a show where grown men look like little girls. Little boys maybe, but little girls? Heck no.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quote
i feel like im the only one, so far, that hasn't had an issue with anime and family in general. i have talked about it with my Mom but she just sees it as a hobby of sorts.

Grandma Rosa watch yaoi? O_o scary! how awckward is that?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
There really is no good way to answer this question. Saying "no" would be like denying anime as a whole, but any form of "yes" no matter how it's spun, is probably going to get the reaction we have here.
Nights1stStar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
brand wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Grandma Rosa don't have no arms.

And which shows have men that look like little girls? I'm drawing a blank here.

If you watch to much anime you start not to notice but a lot of shows do especially in shoujo. For me the big ones I can think of is Miki in Utena and Hotohori in Fushigi Yuugi. Plus let us not forget all the girly men in yaoi.

Though I like Grandma's reaction to Kevin's answer. She's a keeper in my book.
In defense of the creators of Revolutionary Girl Utena, Miki is only in 7th grade. Hotohori, however, has no excuse. Rolling Eyes
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
animefan1238 wrote:

As someone who sells Yaoi, I've seen just this example. I've seen three generations of family come to the booth and buy up stuff to watch and read together.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
Well. if Grandma Rosa is anything like my grandma. (which. she really is.) if a guy doesn't look like the typical: muscles, super short hair, stoic expression.
then she automatically says he looks like a girl.

and to add names to the "guys in anime who look like young girls" list:
Subaru from Tokyo Babylon
Kamui from X
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
I don't think my family members are even remotely interested in what I watch Anime hyper
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
mangajunky wrote:
animefan1238 wrote:

As someone who sells Yaoi, I've seen just this example. I've seen three generations of family come to the booth and buy up stuff to watch and read together.

... I don't know. i am happy they are passionate about it but as a family activity? well to each's own i guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4