• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Shuts Down, Parent Transfers Assets to Other Companies

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melonbread

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
This is just a continuation of what's been happening over the past year or so.

The guys who made ADV needed to get a fresh image, thus they've killed ADV and made lots of smaller companies with new names.

They're the same people though, and will act in the same stupid way that they always did, namely by not communicating with fans at all. All the time when ADV lost the majority of their newer licenses from ARM they never once said a word to all the people who bought their stuff other than an official statement, they let release after release come out, only for half of them to be canned before they could fully be released : /
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Agreed this is a phoenix manoeuvre to shed the stigna, and excess baggage. Speaking of which, I see Ledford seems to have got the bullet, no mention of Greenfield. Did he quietly slip over the rail before the bow went below the water? I would like to know, with business propensity to award complete utter failure with big bonus payouts to those in charge of it, did they get a golden good bye? Wink

He's a part owner of Sentai and is prob owner of AEsir Media Group, LLC, the other company that wasn't mentioned in the report.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote
ADV will be remembered as one of the finest American anime companies ever. I do hope the employees can work at these new companies or find new work as well. This goes for the talented voice acting pool as well.
juliarose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
first, cn got rid of anime on cable (with the other stations), second geneon decides to close up for good. (that i can understand while geneon was a subcompany of a car company. CPM had to close it's doors. (poor sales, stupid clunker for cash) and now ADV!!! what will happen to us. the only thing i can think of is Funamtion will have to eat up what is left and hopefully not get a big belly ache and close as well!
kikiyo2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
This whole shady maneuvering to keep them alive is the reason I have no respect for the licensing companies. The only way for the American industry to survive is for the licensing companies to go away. Not only did they never really serve any purpose (unless you're one of those who can stand listening to their horrible dubs) but as long as they're around the Japanese will keep relying on them for distribution. This method was out-dated before it even began and adds unnecessary costs and people to the equation. Yeah, the Japanese companies would have initially released things here way too pricey but they'd have quickly figured it out and then we wouldn't be in this mess. If it’s one thing the Japanese know is how to sell the products abroad (see Japanese auto industry). Instead we now have licensing companies that nearly always botch releases and offer substandard products to what even amateurs provide and then expect us to fans to pay ridiculous prices due to this bad business model and their expensive dubbing. I'm surprised ADV even lasted this long given that they were known for their notoriously bad dubs and subtitle translations/timing (It's unforgivable the way they butchered AzuDai). I'm just wondering how long before Ledford pulls out his usual fan sub rant when all this comes back to bite him in the ass.
nagato316

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:

It started with Greenfield distributing videotapes of Devil Hunter Yohko out of his closet...and alas it ends here...ADV, we'll miss ya... Crying or Very sad

Or not. If in fact ADV will still exist (albeit not in name) and operate under several entities, and the ADV catalog continues to be owned/managed/distributed by said entities, then I can breathe easier, having had a day to let all this information sink in. Still, I concur with folks on this thread who are put off by the slightly misleading article title...it just puts an air of finality to ADV that may not necessarily be there upon closer examination.

Nonetheless, I still can't help feel a tiny bit of emotional loss. To put it in perspective, it's like the Willis Tower--It will always be the Sears Tower in spirit to many of us long time residents of the greater Windy City metro. Sure, it's still standing, but with a different name, it just feels...off. But that's business, right?
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
I don't know if this is the appropriate thread to post this, but it appears that Section23 wasted little time to get themselves going.

So with apologies to kikiyo2, Section23 Films' November solicitations:

Quote:
Home video distributor Section23 Films today announced its November 2009 slate of new DVD releases.

Section23 client Sentai Filmworks is coming out with six new home video releases, including five anime series never before available on DVD in North America. These new series are Blue Drop, Polyphonica, Special A, Tears to Tiara, and You’re Under Arrest Season 2. Sentai Filmworks is also releasing the second collection of the anime series Little Snow Fairy Sugar in November.

Switchblade Pictures, another Section23 client, has two “live-action” DVD releases straight from Japan – the sci-fi horror collection Ki-Gai, and the sci-fi thriller Nu-Meri ~ Book of the New Spawn.

Product details follow, in order of release

Coming November 2009

Title: KI-GAI
Running Time: 130 min.
Age Rating: Unrated - V
CAT: SWB-0111
UPC: 814131011107
Published by: Switchblade Pictures
Distributed by: Section23 Films
Pre-Book Date: 10/6/2009
Street Date: 11/3/2009
Format: DVD
SRP: $19.98

Title: YOU'RE UNDER ARREST SEASON 2 COLLECTION 1
Running Time: 325 min.
Age Rating: TV PG (V)
CAT: SF-YUA201
UPC: 814131011206
Published by: Sentai Filmworks
Pre-Book Date: 10/6/2009
Street Date: 11/3/2009
SRP: $39.98

Title: NU-MERI ~ BOOK OF THE NEW SPAWN
Running Time: 76 min.
Age Rating: Unrated - V
CAT: SWB-0114
UPC: 814131011404
Published by: Switchblade Pictures
Pre-Book Date: 10/13/2009
Street Date: 11/10/2009
SRP: $19.98

Title: SPECIAL A COLLECTION 1
Running Time: 300 min.
Age Rating: TV PG
CAT: SF-SPA100
UPC: 814131011503
Pre-Book Date: 10/13/2009
Street Date: 11/10/2009

Title: BLUE DROP COMPLETE COLLECTION
Age Rating: TV 14
CAT: SF-BD100
UPC: 814131011701
Pre-Book Date: 10/20/2009
Street Date: 11/17/2009

Title: LITTLE SNOW FAIRY SUGAR COLLECTION 2
CAT: SF-LSF200
UPC: 814131011800

Title: POLYPHONICA COMPLETE COLLECTION
Running Time: 300 min.
Age Rating: TV 14
CAT: SF-PY100
UPC: 814131013200

Title: TEARS TO TIARA COLLECTION 1
CAT: SF-TT100
UPC: 814131011909
Pre-Book Date: 10/27/2009
Street Date: 11/24/2009

About Section23 Films

Section23 Films provides home video marketing and distribution services for a variety of companies, including Sentai Filmworks, Switchblade Pictures, and AEsir Holdings. With its special focus on genre entertainment, Section23 Films distributes some of the very best anime, martial arts, and horror titles on the market today.

Source: Mania.com
krelyan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
By the way some of these elitists anti-dub crusaders spew their nonsense, you'd think the dubbing process involves killing their mothers and violating their remains. Give it a rest. Dubbing was not the sole reason for ADV's financial woes and the brand ceasing to be. A little more common sense and less tasteless, idiotic rants please.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
moved to announcement thread
Donpablo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
By the way some of these elitists anti-dub crusaders spew their nonsense, you'd think the dubbing process involves killing their mothers and violating their remains. Give it a rest. Dubbing was not the sole reason for ADV's financial woes and the brand ceasing to be. A little more common sense and less tasteless, idiotic rants please.

A man of reason has arisen from the ashes.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
this is sad, Eva was my first bought series and first box set. and 5 or so shows i have were dubbed by them. best of luck to all its employees!

i know everyone is down about this but i think a new company will emerge after the ecomony gets better. most likely its founder will be an anime fan like all of us.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
.................. So we aren't getting Fullmetal Panic Season 1 and Fumufo (or whatever) in Blu-Ray? Damn ADV has Failed me to the very end.

adv failed you? when had adv EVER released an anime on bluray?? i think your hopes are a little to high
RZetlin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh how the mighty has fallen!

Looking back ADV Films mistake was it expanded into different ventures too quickly (Manga, channels and magazines).

They were buying out licenses left and right making it difficult to release the products on time.
Anime_Fever

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, its been a while since I have been here and im glad to have stumbled on the article tonight otherwise I may have never known about this lol.

Hmmm, so we wont be seeing ADV logos slapped on our dvd's anymore huh? Eh, as long as I get my anime I don't really care what logo the dvd case has on it. It is sad some people had to lose their jobs.

ADV will be missed, though DBZ was the show that corrupted me when I was an anime virgin, it was the titles such as: Arc the Lad, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, Martian Successor Nadesico and Those Who Hunt Elves that cast me deep into the Otaku realm!

Goodbye ADV and thanks for the memories.

prime_pm wrote:
So...

Anyone hear about Disney buying up Marvel?

Heard that was a big deal too.

Even more heart-breaking than ADV... Sad
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
kikiyo2 wrote:
I'm just wondering how long before Ledford pulls out his usual fan sub rant when all this comes back to bite him in the ass.
Cause we all know that was never the root cause of all this. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 17