• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Story of a group of friends? Suggestions?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:17 am Reply with quote
Basically something like Gokinjo Monogatari. It didn't only focus on the main character. It also had some decent focus on the side characters. Like the Ayumi/Yuusuke/Mariko love triangle. Even the parents got some focus. The main pair still got their spotlight tho. Kare Kano is another example of what I mean.

Um..romance, drama, comedy, slice of life is preferred. Oh but it cant be the dull and peaceful kind of slice of life. Something at least needs to be going on. Like..a problem..something. Break ups, make ups, friends arguing, parent problems, school issues, goals etc. A happy ending is a must because I dont like sad things. They suck and bring my spirits down.

Oh yeah, no harems. Its gotta have a decent mix of boys and girls.

Dont say: D-ash, Fruits Basket, Skip Beat, Vampire Knight, Ouran, Hana Yori Dango, Paradise Kiss, Nana.

Well..later. I'll check on this later. Anime catgrin
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote
First one that comes to mind for me is Honey & Clover. However, I will add that if you are not in the same age range as the main characters (who are all in their early twenties) or older you may have trouble relating to the characters.

I found it to be a bit of a slow starter but once Ayu was introduced I immediately related/connected with her and I was hooked.

Nodame Cantabile might also work for you, especially if you have any interest in classical music. It's an amazing series and while Chiaki certainly is the main character the rest of the cast definitely have their moments to shine.
IzanaginoOkami

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
well you're in luck the manga Solanin basically has what your looking for and it's only one volume
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
What first comes to mind is Genshiken. All the characters really get a good amount of individual attention. It's hard to say that there is even one main character. It did a good job showing the life of an average group of otaku rather than a single otaku. Another manga I'd suggest is Soul Eater. It really put allot of focus on multiple characters. And Pluto might also fit seeing as your not just fallowing around one person. There are chapters were it will be completely about other side characters. That's all I can think of at the moment, I hope this is what you were looking for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Shugo Chara actually has a lot of development focusing around the Guardians and there is the whole Tadase/Amu/Ikuto thing going on aswell, lots of stuff to keep you interested.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Thanks everyone. Lots of stuff here. Some I have heard of but put it on hold, some I haven't. I'll jot them all down.

Genshiken, Honey&Clover, Nodame(saw some of the anime and I loved it), Solanin seem to catch my interest.

I'll remember to give Shugo Chara a try when I want my magical girl fix.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Gakuen Alice, maybe? It edges toward magical-girl, but I think the friendship aspect between all the kids is very strong and well written. (and even though a lot of the characters are in elementary school, I really feel an emotional connection with the story, so don't let their ages deter you!)

Kimi ni Todoke is just starting out, but it seems like a series that will explore the lives of a broader group of friends beyond just the main couple.

Yuki Nakaji's series, Venus in Love and Zig*Zag (though the latter is currently on hiatus with Tokyopop—the first three volumes are really cute though!) are happy, fun stories about groups of friends. There might not be as much drama as you're looking for, but they're nice for a change of pace, anyway.
hypersoda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps you can try GALS! (or even its anime adaptation SuperGALS!). It's basically about a bunch of gals living it up in Shibuya. If I had to fit it into a genre, it's basically comedy with some romance on the side. From what I know (I've seen more of the anime than the manga), there's usually 1 or 2 issues in a chapter, as well as one big issue dragged out in a bunch of chapters. Some issues are serious, while others are more light. I'd say to give it a few chapters (or episodes if you wind up watching it instead) before you decide whether you want to stay with it or not. Some of the characters may seem shallow at times, but they develop a bit more with each episode.

The only thing is that it isn't one big story, but mostly a bunch of little stories, so I'm not too sure if you want that. But check it out if you ever have the chance.

Definitely one of my favorite series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1