• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer Lazar: Live-Action Akira is 'Priority Project'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Delpheno wrote:
The beginning of Akira was absolutely fantastic. Then it went all sci-fi on me and I didn't enjoy it.

How is the beginning not sci-fi??? They blow up Tokyo with a "new kind of bomb" and WW3 starts. Then it's set in a futuristic rebuilt Tokyo with people riding around on futuristic motorcycles. That's 100% science fiction.

animenexus wrote:
Live Action going to be many levels of suck

And you know this how? This movie hasn't gotten past the "we're talking about it seriously" phase, there's been no casting, no promo footage, nothing with which you could make this evaluation.

I would love to see a live action Akira - but personally, I'd also want it set in Japan with Japanese characters as it is in the manga, if for no other reason than to fight the seeming belief by Hollywood executives that Americans won't care about something if it doesn't have a white person as the main character (yes, I'm still pissed about The Grudge).
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least the producers were smart enough to have Warners get to turn this into two films, unlike Watchmen. Watchmen turned out... eh.. alright I guess. Yet it was very rushed. While Akira has many more pages, I'm not sure if it's as densely packed as Moore's script and 3x3 panel layout. Still two movies might be one hell of a task to fit it into. Then again the author himself fit it into one.

As for the Americanization... I sure the hell hope that gets turned down and they go back to Neo-Tokyo.

Funny enough I found a used copy of Akira on VHS for like a buck today.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Better delayed and good than premature and Dragon Ball. I guess it's... interesting to finally hear about this project again after the last we heard is that it would be coming out this summer (I always suspected there was no way in hell that'd happen).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
I'm a little upset to find out that the guy who made the original anime is involved. I know it was one of the first anime to get really big in the US, but I've always thought the movie was kinda jumbled.

Alot of things went unexplained (i'm not just talking about the ending) and characters who seem important early in the film totally disappear with no explanation, like the preacher guy.

I hope the live action version stays as far away from that style of movie-making as possible.
sharonlover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote
Rolando_jose wrote:
Please God, don't let 'em "Dragonbolize it"

You have just created a new catch phrase Anime hyper
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I'm a little upset to find out that the guy who made the original anime is involved. I know it was one of the first anime to get really big in the US, but I've always thought the movie was kinda jumbled.

Alot of things went unexplained (i'm not just talking about the ending) and characters who seem important early in the film totally disappear with no explanation, like the preacher guy.

I hope the live action version stays as far away from that style of movie-making as possible.

The guy who made the movie is the author of the freakin' manga! He was trying to condense his entire several-thousand-pages-long magnum opus into one two-hour film, an impossible feat, and he did it as well as anyone could. Given the option of two films, his input could be vital to doing it better - because he's the freakin' author!!
Craigasorus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Some people here are not to familiar with American studios.

20th Century Fox is a crappy studio since cerca Tom Rothman (the current CEO) took power of the studio who has turned popular franchises into (X-Men3, Daredevil, Fanatastic Four 1 & 2, the chum bucket of SH films) dirt with no consideration of the source material. This was the studio in charge of DB:E they could care less about the property its almost as if they wanted to see how far they could stray from the source.

Now to go back to Akira. Warner Brothers has the filming rights and they unlike Fox have proven themselves to at least give their films appropriate budgets and finding the right people to convert the material into LA.

"Watchmen" is just one example of how much free control it lets its writers and directors/crew have over the creative scope of the film. Another point in WB's handling Akira is that they are taking their time to make it right instead of fast tracking the film for a 2011 date to fill outs its 11' roster. Fox by the way fast tracked DB:E into production with little to no preparation. The rights were purchased in 2002 but Fox did little to prepare and just sat on the rights.

WB is far more efficient and competent along with being a far more fan friendly that doesn't chain its directors and producer on a leash. Also their initial plan was to split the six piece manga into two films which may be reconsidered to make a trilogy (possibly more) instead as Warner Brothers needs to expand its long term franchises (as a number of them are closing; their biggest the Harry Potter series).

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until more information is released regarding casting,screenplay, director/producer, cast etc.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
sick: That's not a "guy". And fortunately for you, the manga's getting a re-release. I think the whole point of Miyako in the movie was to show how the people of Neo-Tokyo were dissatisfied with their lives, and how they were hoping Akira would "purify" their city.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2