• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Battle Angel Alita / Gunnm + Last Order

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
Cover for vol. 13 is up!

From this gallery.
Monumension

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
^ Karate metal! One of Kishiro's best posters so far.

Generic #757858 wrote:
(Anomaly, WTH Shocked ?! I wonder what on Earth made Kishiro to settle on THAT character design Anime dazed? Kinda ruined some of the dramatics in that fight.)

I enjoyed those chapters. Anomaly's design looked a lot like something H.R. Giger - the mastermind behind the monsters in the Alien movies - could have made up (especially given Giger's obsession with certain intimate body-parts). The creature also made me curious about it's origin and relation to Mercury.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
I can understand the reasoning behind Anomaly's design and the story explained it well enough, but IMHO he took it a little too far and basically turned the whole fight into a series of dick jokes interspersed with some character development and badassery. And yeah, I too hope that the Mercury angle will explored more in the future volumes.

Even though I admit that I enjoyed it, on the whole I can't wait until the tournament is over. There's a whole welldeveloped solar system out there to explore (especially Mars!). Coincidentally, I also think that this is why Kishiro decided to spoiler[have the current Alita turn out to be a copy. This neatly allows the original to be resurrected in a flesh and blood body and live happily ever after on Earth with Figure like in the original ending, while the copy can just go on adventuring.]
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I love this series immensely. I can't decide if I like the first series or the second one better, to be perfectly honest.

I did read Volume 11 of Last Order, and, spoiler[She's back! Finally!] The only thing that weirded me out was spoiler[Anomaly and that friggin' weird design. I was giggling like a 12-year-old, to be sure, but those battles are not supposed to be that amusing.]

That cover art for Volume 12 looks interesting, but why on Earth does she have a tail? Did she suddenly turn into a cat girl when we weren't looking? Confused Love the cover art of Volume 13.

Anyway, I can't wait to see where this is going.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Monumension

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
Hepzibah wrote:
That cover art for Volume 12 looks interesting, but why on Earth does she have a tail? Did she suddenly turn into a cat girl when we weren't looking? Confused

If you read the last chapter of volume 11 you'll notice that spoiler[the Jovian super weapon she emerges from is equipped with a tail. It was simply assimilated into her new body when she was reborn. (I'm still not convinced it's attached to her body though, it could be a part of her coat.)]
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
Viz's vol. 12 is coming in October. Good to see that they've been picking up the pace, the wait between vol. 9 and vol. 10 was murderous.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
Ugh. I caved and took a sneak peek at the scanlations. Looks like the next few chapters will be pretty interesting (except for that stupid tail Mad), but then it's right back to boretown, since apparently Kishiro decided to spoiler[milk the 'Karatekas VS Venus'-match for all it's it's worth. ]

Here's a great blogpost that pretty much sums up my current issues with the series, though I'm not quite as negative as the writer.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
As a side note from the manga, with Cameron's Avatar coming out, he's made a few hopeful comments about an Alita film.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/07/31/james-cameron-says-battle-angel-alita-adaptation-could-be-next-but-evolving-tech-is-critical/

Quote:
"Maybe, maybe," Cameron told MTV News when asked if the long-discussed "Alita" would be his next film. "We're going to look at that."

Based on the popular manga created by Yukito Kishiro, "Battle Angel Alita" focuses on a robotic heroine rescued from a scrapheap by a scientist named Ido. Under Ido's tutelage, Alita becomes a hunter-warrior, accessing forgotten fighting techniques ingrained in her cybernetic body.

Which such a technology-driven premise, it only makes sense that Cameron would utilize his newfound filmmaking techniques from "Avatar" on the set of "Battle Angel." According to the director, the Sam Worthington-starring film has helped pave the way for an easier filmmaking experience with "Alita."

"I think 'Battle Angel' will be very straightforward based on what we know right now [from 'Avatar']," Cameron said. "There are actually three technologies we designed from scratch for this movie. One was the fusion, 3D camera system, which would have a big role in 'Battle Angel' because it's more live-action by proportion. The other one is the facial performance capture, which would allow us to create Alita that way."

But perhaps the most important technological advancement is the Simulcam. "[It's] a real time tracking system that used the motion capture infrastructure on a live action stage, so that when I look through the eyepiece of my 3D camera, I see the set extensions as they will be," he described. "We can even bring in CG characters in real-time, meaning actor-to-actor, meaning somebody's acting a CG character over here and I'm seeing him in my eyepiece interacting with an actor in a live-action shot."

In other words, Cameron will have a very good idea of what Alita's battles against the often titanic (forgive the pun) monsters will look like as a finished product. "That's never happened before," Cameron stated. "For 'Battle Angel,' that'll be critical, or for any other film -- maybe 'Avatar 2' -- whatever else we film."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2