• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What about Last Exile?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graywolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I have only been around for a short time but I have yet to see any comments on Last Exile, and was wondering what every one thought.

I thought the animation was remarkable. Both the action and the drama scenes surprised me, And the story actually left me with a desire to be there with the characters. I have seen it both raw and dub and found that the voices fit the characters. (in my mind anyway.) Overall I think that they did a great job with it. I’m sure that there are some that may not have liked it and I’m am curios to hear from both sides receptively. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I really loved last exile, though it's not for those who have no patience for a story. Dio is now one of my top favorite characters in anime.

The reason you're probably not seeing much in post about it is because most of us chatted about it non-stop I suppose when it first came out, and when it was licensed here, which was about a year ago.
graywolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote
oh i see

dio is one of my fav as well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I've yet to see it, but I was thinking of getting it sometime soon. I found the LE Vol.1 for $36 (with shipping.)

I put up a thread about it (whether or not to pick it up) earlier, but only got about 10 or replies or less. Regardless though, all of those were positive replies saying I'd like it. I saw a trailer, and it looked very promising. Great animation and some good music without what seemed like a single spoiler.

So I know I'm getting it, now, it's just a matter of when.
graywolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:26 pm Reply with quote
the muisc was one of my favret thing about the show i hope to find soundtrack soon
Hotaru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Last Exile is truly spectacular. I can't wait for the next volume to come out, and it seems like it's an eternity between dvds.

Tech TV has disappeared from our cable. I mean...it used to be channel 105. There's 106, and 104, but no 105. I'm assuming that they're working out bugs since they merged with G4...point being...there is none.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lobotomoy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like Last Exile at all. I thought the characters were cliche and the action scenes were boring. Dio was probably my least favorite character, as I really don't like that "evil bishounen" stereotype. Also, Tech TV really hyped up the series as a war drama, but it really wasn't. I'd say it's more straight science fiction/fantasy. Other than that, I did like the opening theme song, and the CG animation looks nice without being too obtrusive to the 2D animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
graywolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:38 pm Reply with quote
they moved to the chanale that g4 airs on
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:17 pm Reply with quote
graywolf wrote:
they moved to the chanale that g4 airs on

TechTV...may you rest in peace. You fell ill of the G4 PLAGUE and DIED MISERABLY!

No, I'm not bitter at all.

Anyway, I completely loved Last EXILE. Absolutely gorgeous animation & music, wonderful characters, and a fascinating story with some interesting concepts (the whole steampunk feel, and the Guild).

spoiler[Dio's death was rather anticlimactic, though.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fandrez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I really like Last Exile as well. The animation is really good and it has a good story line. I'm really watching the dubs right now. I think the dub is really good too. My 2 favorite VAs are Crispin Freeman and Johnny Yong Bosch. Their work is great and their both in this one. Smile
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Last Exile was one of those series that grabbed me from the first episode and did not let go. I personally love everything about it, except for as someone stated earlier the long lapse inbetween DVD releases Mad . If anyone has not seen this series, you should at least check out the first five episodes or so. Gonzo did an amazing job with the animation in this series, and the dub is one of the best that I have ever seen.

~LoneWolf
graywolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:14 pm Reply with quote
i know what you wean the first day i got it i managed to watch the first 8 shows with out stoping for a break. i just keep going trying to figure out what happens next. Very Happy

oh yeah it is good to know a fellow wolf.
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:38 pm Reply with quote
There is at least one more wolf on these forums that I know of, Littlegreenwolf. One other thing that I forgot to mention about Last Exile is the music. I love the music for that series, especially the opening theme.

~LoneWolf
KiroLinau

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:19 am Reply with quote
I feel the same exact way. Well... I may be extremely in love with the series. I was obsessed from the moment I saw the trailer, and once I saw the first episode It instantly became my favorite anime. I'm just a sucker for every aspect of it, the characters, the concepts and music etc. It was actually a great insperation for me when I made my Tokyopop manga entry this year. Which unfortunately they didn't accept. But I am publishing a reworked version on my own. If you are interested in seeing some of it, PM me or just respond to this (your choice).

Anyway, I think LE is a mile stone in anime and deserves to be obsessed over. That's certianly why I'm going to Otakon as Alex Row, with the lovely Sophy and Allister by my side. that is if you have finally decided on Allister Hotaru my dear.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:40 am Reply with quote
Personally, i found it to be rather overhyped (must...stop...reading reviews). Hype doesn't affect me per se, but it does annoy me if I'm not into it. Even then, its easy for me to get into a show within the first few episodes, and I just haven't yet with this one. Also, being rather reservered and unimpressed towards Gonzo titles doesn't help much. Funny thing is, I've seen episodes one, two and twenty six, and wasn't all that lost. I'm just tired of hearing how great it's supposed to be when it hasn't affected me at all. That's a very easy thing to do, and it hasn't yet. My loss I suppose, but I'm in no hurry to finish this one, especially with the dreck they smear over the back of the covers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2