• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Announces One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:52 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

You forgot a certian chef being made to umm... stop smoking. Wink Digitally.

As far as I'm concerned,THAT is such minor point.I don't get worked up about it.

Why should anybody else?

Actually, I care. Sanji is my favorite character. I think his cigarette is cool. It's part of his character.

I know it'll be cut though, which makes me sad, somewhat. Ah well.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Excuse me while I go break something expensive.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:17 pm Reply with quote
hey there is always the manga. God bless mangas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:22 pm Reply with quote
As long as FUNi does do uncut stuff with it, I'm satisfied enough. Still, how close does funimation work with 4kids anyway?

And stop sounding suprised. You knew it was gonna happen. That they were gonna get a hold of it.

4kids should really break off a branch into something like 4teens or something. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Lance on AoD wrote:
Found out the same time as you all did. Everyone is at Licensing Show right now. Will find out more soon.

Dang.

That's not a particularly good sign...
Rozard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Probably all this indicates is that 4Kids is now interested in going after a show for a slightly older audience than their usual fare.

That they can dumb down for little kids. They even stated in their press release that One Piece is a popular Japanese children's cartoon. However, it's not the same kind of children's cartoon as you would have in the US.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Rozard wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
Probably all this indicates is that 4Kids is now interested in going after a show for a slightly older audience than their usual fare.

That they can dumb down for little kids. They even stated in their press release that One Piece is a popular Japanese children's cartoon. However, it's not the same kind of children's cartoon as you would have in the US.

True. However, child's shows in Japan are far different in definition that child's shows here. Kids are allowed to see blood and smoking every now and then in their shows over there. It's a cultural difference.

But i do agree withthe dumbing down though. And it is quite annoying. =/

~ I believe that children are the future. ~

That's why they dumb the shows down. They don't want that future.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lupus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Lupus wrote:
Expect:

1) Stupid Devil Fruit names
2) All of Zoros fight scenes and half of the Arlong arc (including the scene with Usopp winning a fight) cut
3) All Japanese puns replaced by crappy dub jokes
4) Tons of altered lines that suggest a certain pair of characters hooking up at some point ¬_¬
5) Shit voices.
6) A complete absense of any execution scenes.
7) Hawk Eyes Mihawk to be completely cut.
8) Chopper to be made the main character. (much as I like Chopper...)
14) No blood. Ever.

You forgot a certian chef being made to umm... stop smoking. Wink Digitally.

True. True. I wouldn't be too keen on the idea of having a chain smoker cooking my food, I don't really care about that point.

The rest is what I dislike (except maybe #4).
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:43 pm Reply with quote
oh dear god. This sucks, but hopefully Funi will do what they decided to do with shaman king, and yugioh. There is just no way that 4kids can take a title like this and maintain its feel with all of the edits that they are going to do. Crying or Very sad

~LoneWolf
rage-demon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Wow... <he says while lauging hysterically>

You know, i almost wish a certain self proclaimed member of the "anti 4kids resistance" wasn't banned just so i could laugh at the garbage he'd have to say at this news. You know... on second thought, maybe not.

Well, if Funi does get the rights to release the uncut subbed DVDs, *AND* they put more than 3 episodes per disk, then i might buy them. Actually, i'd prefer that they put 5 episodes per disk. Any less, and it'd take a fortune to buy.
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I saw this coming months ago when I noticed that One Piece Treasure Battle for Gamecube was in the Nintendo Power's Coming Soon list. Any anime franchise that gets video game releases stateside is usually due to a tv release, which basically means it's 4Kids or something worse.

That having been said, If Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh can get uncut sub releases, then One Piece is probably going to get a similar treatment. That Lance Heiskell had no knowledge of it worries me, but regardless of the outcome, somebody out there will release a digisub of it so those of you having a heart attack can rest easy. I urge anyone who is considering not supporting an uncut US release just because they sub it gum-gum pistol rather than gomu gomu no pistol to simply go whole-hog and get those shitty chinese bootleg disks on ebay and cram it where the sun don't shine. Wink
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Professor Genius wrote:
I urge anyone who is considering not supporting an uncut US release just because they sub it gum-gum pistol rather than gomu gomu no pistol to simply go whole-hog and get those shitty chinese bootleg disks on ebay and cram it where the sun don't shine. :wink:

I agree with that sentiment whole-heartedly. I'm going to quote that in my blog.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Professor Genius wrote:
Actually, I saw this coming months ago when I noticed that One Piece Treasure Battle for Gamecube was in the Nintendo Power's Coming Soon list. Any anime franchise that gets video game releases stateside is usually due to a tv release, which basically means it's 4Kids or something worse.

That having been said, If Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh can get uncut sub releases, then One Piece is probably going to get a similar treatment. That Lance Heiskell had no knowledge of it worries me, but regardless of the outcome, somebody out there will release a digisub of it so those of you having a heart attack can rest easy. I urge anyone who is considering not supporting an uncut US release just because they sub it gum-gum pistol rather than gomu gomu no pistol to simply go whole-hog and get those shitty chinese bootleg disks on ebay and cram it where the sun don't shine. Wink

One Piece Treasure Battle is coming? Awesome!

And it's GOMU GOMU NO PISTORU you philistine!

Seriously, the Anti-4kids kiddies will say anything to avoid having to actually put their money where their mouth is and buy a DVD. I'll buy any subtitled or uncut release FUNi puts out, even if it's 2-3 episodes a disc, just to support the release. I mean, I'm wailing about 4Kids getting this series, since I do love it so, but I hold out hope that an uncut version will find its way here a'la Card Captor Sakura.

Otherwise I shall join Roof and Sunkist on board the Goling Melly.
Schunoko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Otherwise I shall join Roof and Sunkist on board the Goling Melly.

ROFL What about Sauron and Liar Boo?

Ah, HK DVDs...

Anyway, 4kids has been getting on my nerves lately and this is just the final straw. *hugs Sanji plushie and prays for an uncut release*
Vekou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:33 pm Reply with quote
ARRRRRRRRRRGH!

*proceeds to smash face into keyboard*

If FUNimation doesn't get the DVD rights - the uncut DVD rights - I might just strangle Lance Heiskell the next time I see him. Because Alfred Kahn and Norman Grossfeld would never show their faces at a convention... the yellow bastards...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15