• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you think anime is too expensive?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
I have gotten some nice deals on anime. Bestbuy was having a sale a few months ago. I was able to buy the first Negima! anime for around $13 (this was the VC BTW)

I remember that, it was some big 50% off all anime sale. I think it was because they were restructuring the anime section. But I think it's a good example of anime being cheap if you just watch the sales. If you keep an eye on these things you can find amazing deals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
^
I don't think people are actually buying stuff they think is bad (unless they don't have the technical ability to preview it).

I know but back in the day little to no streams existed and in order to sample something you had to pay. There was no other free way to sample something so that kind of forced me to buy new stuff without knowing if the show was good or not (don't go by ratings because they are bias). Shinsen-subs only made 2 or 4 years ago and still compared to the entire collection of anime they have only done a small portion of it. It's still like this today. Not every anime is streamed "legally" and the illegal streams are hard to find but I got my sources. Most people still buy anime without knowing they'll like the show or not since they never previewd an episode.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
ninjapet wrote:
I have gotten some nice deals on anime. Bestbuy was having a sale a few months ago. I was able to buy the first Negima! anime for around $13 (this was the VC BTW)

I remember that, it was some big 50% off all anime sale. I think it was because they were restructuring the anime section. But I think it's a good example of anime being cheap if you just watch the sales. If you keep an eye on these things you can find amazing deals.

It was, they where selling some really good box sets for cheap, I know the TTGL one (dubbed) was going for like $30

I was going to buy more but I only had money to buy one thing, so I went for Negima, I was hoping to buy the normal box set but it was sold out by the time I went to the store which was on the final day of the sale.
oldwrench

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, right now rightstuf is having a sale on Bandai stuff. That makes tings pretty reasonable. I still don't understand why anime isn't a lot more popular. The entertainment value is very good. And there is just about any type of genre of story you could want available.

I know they are doing quite a few live actions based on anime and manga, but I think the animated versions are more interesting.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
oldwrench wrote:
I still don't understand why anime isn't a lot more popular. The entertainment value is very good. And there is just about any type of genre of story you could want available.

It is very perplexing as to why anime isn't more popular because the reasons you give are quite true. I have a handful of titles I know my parents would like, but they just aren't interested. I believe it has to do with the American perception of all animation being child's play and shouldn't be taken serious if you're older than 12 (even though Spirit Away won an Oscar and an Academy Award). Also, the image a lot people associate with anime is hentai, that I don't understand. I've never seen a hentai on television or seen an ad for it on the streets, so I don't get why that's sometimes the first thing associated with anime.

If only anime was more popular, it'd be easy for companies to mark down the prices (even though I still find them quite reasonable). But, according to Shawne at AX, it'd be easier for anime to go back to the way of releasing slower and basically "knowing it's place" in the US market. I don't like it, but I agree. I can't see an anime outside of a long running shounen show becoming even slightly mainstream so they might as well only market to the people they know will buy it (us) and hope others let their curiosity get the best of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
oldwrench wrote:
. I still don't understand why anime isn't a lot more popular. The entertainment value is very good. And there is just about any type of genre of story you could want available.

Who said anime wasn't popular? Anime has definately entered the public consciousness and, depending on how you look at it, has already become mainstream. From clothing to cartoon styling in the US, anime has certainly caught on as it were, if not, would big name actors and studios even be attempting to adapt them?

However, you when you get into specific titles and what not, you find that few people know individual shows, they just have a broad sense on what "anime" is. Shonen shows will probably always be more popular here in America, simply because that is often what the buying public is looking for, big action shows, not "talking shows" or dramas or even comedies. Its all in your perspective in how popular anime is in the US.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
FaytLein

Anime isn't popular in the states. Anyway when he says popular I think he means how come anime is not the equivalent to blockbuster movies like star wars, batman etc. Why doesn't anime make 100 millions of dollars easily? How come its not widley known?
ven0m57

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
yea but the General public may see a show they like. for example, blood + was a good show, good fan base etc..but the live action movie...was without a doubt...i couldent even watch the whole thing. thats what makes the general public turn away from anime in my opinion. they see one bad aspect and suddenly decide its horrable.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
I used to wonder why more people didn’t like anime. I thought it was all the standard stuff like family/children prejudice against animation or the fact that while everyone talks about anime and anime inspired entertainment very few people actually see much anime.

However, I have changed my mind. I have several friends who I have shown anime to and the bottom line is aside from a few stories they don’t like it. Japanese storytelling is different from western storytelling. There are things that the Japanese like in their stories that westerners do not. The Japanese are fond of open endings and tragic heroes. They see sexuality and its perversions as normal human behavior and it even shows up in children’s shows. The Japanese in general appear to like to interact with their stories and thus everything is not always spelled out. Etc.

I have watched my friends as they watch these shows. They get frustrated when they have to figure out what is going on. They get annoyed when the ending is open and not conclusive. They get confused when the hero is spending most of his time dealing with emotional issues and drama instead of kicking butt. The slice of life and character building stuff that shows up in a lot of anime, even the action stuff, puts them to sleep. They stop taking the show seriously when nudity or sexuality shows up. I honestly think I would lose some of my friends if I showed them some stories where the villain wins or the hero’s efforts end up ultimately futile. Not to mention stuff where everybody dies.

The bottom line is I really don’t think anime is for everyone. While everyone can enjoy a Japanese story not everyone likes the way the Japanese tell those stories.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Compare that to popping in a DVD and sitting through like 3 minutes of unskippable commercials.

Why the hell do they force you to watch commercials on DVDs anyway? If I wanted to watch commercials with my anime, I'd watch it on TV! (FUNimation's very bad about this, too; they really need to stop this shit and let us skip the damn commercials!)

Anime isn't too expensive if you shop smart. Could be worse--we could be paying the same prices as the Japanese viewers. (Why are Japanese DVDs more expensive than their American counterparts? How can anyone want to pay that much more for their DVDs, anime or otherwise? What the hell are they smoking over there?)
ven0m57

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
I used to wonder why more people didn’t like anime. I thought it was all the standard stuff like family/children prejudice against animation or the fact that while everyone talks about anime and anime inspired entertainment very few people actually see much anime.

However, I have changed my mind. I have several friends who I have shown anime to and the bottom line is aside from a few stories they don’t like it. Japanese storytelling is different from western storytelling. There are things that the Japanese like in their stories that westerners do not. The Japanese are fond of open endings and tragic heroes. They see sexuality and its perversions as normal human behavior and it even shows up in children’s shows. The Japanese in general appear to like to interact with their stories and thus everything is not always spelled out. Etc.

I have watched my friends as they watch these shows. They get frustrated when they have to figure out what is going on. They get annoyed when the ending is open and not conclusive. They get confused when the hero is spending most of his time dealing with emotional issues and drama instead of kicking butt. The slice of life and character building stuff that shows up in a lot of anime, even the action stuff, puts them to sleep. They stop taking the show seriously when nudity or sexuality shows up. I honestly think I would lose some of my friends if I showed them some stories where the villain wins or the hero’s efforts end up ultimately futile. Not to mention stuff where everybody dies.

The bottom line is I really don’t think anime is for everyone. While everyone can enjoy a Japanese story not everyone likes the way the Japanese tell those stories.

That may be the preference but in all honesty whats that saying for the weastern society? That they are lazy, impatient, dont like to think, want everything spelled out for them. Personaly i think thats kind of sad what it has come to. I love figuring out the hidden meaning or just simple puzzles of a show, and the fact that they prefer fighting over the emotional parts, somewhat understandable. I love the action sequences just as much as the next guy but i like the other scenes as well, not only because they build the story but it gives the charicters more depth. insted of just a figurehead out kicking evils butt you have a real person doing something extrodinary. Though again if what you say is true and in a way i agree society is degreading rapidly, where they to acualy take the time to think aboutthis as apposed to jumping to conclusions they may change their mind.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Yes, serious anime shows can very subtle, but they can also be very pretentious.

One thing US audiences would find disconcerting is action or horror anime that isn't full of wisecracks. US action and horror movies (and TV) always deflate suspense by making jokes about the situation, whereas anime usually won't do that unless it's an actual comedy. Some recent anime has shown a Hollywood influence in this respect (e.g. Black Lagoon, Hellsing Ultimate), but I don't like it, don't like it at all, I tell ya.

(Underworld 3 is one recent exception to the above rule - that movie has one joke, in the middle.)
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
Personally, I don't think anime is expensive as long as you spend your money wisely on it. I'm a college student living at home, and on top of that most of my paycheck goes to my parents to pay their bills. At most, I save about $50 out of it (which is every two weeks) which I save up for my future, but I also use it towards my anime and manga purchases. However, knowing this, I know to look out for good sales and shop whenever I do have a good amount saved up for a purchase (which I usually make about every two or three months or so, which is awesome enough for me).

It also helps when people limit the anime they want to purchase, not try to purchase every anime they've watched, blind-buy things, etc. I've actually sat down and wrote out a list of the anime I plan to buy in the future, and when I look it over compared the amount of anime I've seen (which is a lot to what I plan to buy), it'll save me money in the long run. It's the same with manga; manga can get really expensive, especially when series run into 50+ volumes and it's easier when you can limit yourself to certain series and not every single one you've read.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
FaytLein

Anime isn't popular in the states. Anyway when he says popular I think he means how come anime is not the equivalent to blockbuster movies like star wars, batman etc. Why doesn't anime make 100 millions of dollars easily? How come its not widley known?

Being popular or well known doesn't always equate to being a profit powerhouse. This just might be my naiviete, but I think if you show pretty much anyone a picture of an anime program, it would be recognized as "anime", not neccessarily using that name of course, but most people wouldn't know who Ichigo Kurosaki is, or who Edward Elric is, they just know that its "one of those Japanese cartoons", which would show that recognition is there, just not the fanbase to turn a niche program into a multi-million dollar property.
Lelouch vi Britannia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I find anime DVD's to be pretty reasonable. Especially the box sets and when they combine volumes. But I get really annoyed when one volume with 4 episodes sell for 30 dollars. (I've seen that many times) and I'm not gonna pay for that. If it's my favorite show, then yes, but if it's down the list on my favorites, I don't think so. There have been times where I was surprised how cheap they were! 3-5 (I forget) FMA episodes for 6 dollars! That was nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9