• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you think anime is too expensive?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ven0m57

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I think it can too be expensive but understand it is a lot cheaper to be a 4-episode disc for twenty-something dollars here than a 2-episode disc in Japan for like 60-70 bucks.

thats not entirely true, there are quite a few places here where i can get them for say 2000-2500 yen. more expensive but still decent.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I never found anime to expensive. I may not have a job, but the little bit of money I do get is enough to buy a lot if I wait for a sale at RightStuf or just get it at Deepdiscount. I got all 6 volumes of Shuffle! with the limited edition one for $60 just for waiting. Even when I am limited to buying 4 DVDs a month, I still watch stuff official sites.

Though, I'm not gonna say that I only watch on DVD and official sites. I watch fansubs too, but they aren't my main source.

But I will say that there are some high schoolers that can't get a job. Not because of time, but rather it's because in some places, they just aren't hiring. In my area, I have been looking for a job for about 2 years, no one is hiring, or I get there right after they hire someone.

Though, even if you have no money, FUNimation has free alternatives, as do Hulu, The Anime Network, Anime News Network, and Youtube.
ven0m57

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
But I will say that there are some high schoolers that can't get a job. Not because of time, but rather it's because in some places, they just aren't hiring. In my area, I have been looking for a job for about 2 years, no one is hiring, or I get there right after they hire someone.

Though, even if you have no money, FUNimation has free alternatives, as do Hulu, The Anime Network, Anime News Network, and Youtube.

I know how you feel. back home my dad is still even looking for a job for almost 1 year and a half now, and he's got an insane resume. so i think its just the job market stinks as of now will no end in sight. lol but as for the anime yea i totally agree before i joined the military i had bills, and very little income but i still found ways to save, wait for sales etc.. so i dont think its that anime is expensive its just the impulse buyers who are willing or can afford to spend full price on something that seem to think so. its just a matter of patience as i know was said previosly.
Xenosaga1980

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
I do not mind paying for my anime dvd, no matter what price.
If theres a boxset thats cheaper then buying individual dvds, ofc ill buy the boxset. But also so I dont run outta room to store my collection of dvds. I've some times bought individual dvds and purchased the boxset when it got released and given then singles to friends of mine as gift. I currently own about 1400 dvds with only anime, and will continue to increase my collection Smile

Anime studios needs people to buy their animes for them to continue making more series.

Would you like it if the place you worked stopped paying you salary for your efforts?

People who download or buy piracy is not a true fan of anime in my eyes. I do feel sorry for people if they can find jobs to make enough money buy dvds .
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
seven_day7sm wrote:
in my country,on any street market i can buy a complete set of an anime for appx. 8$, so i don't think that anime is too expensive.
But are those legitimate releases, or bootlegs?
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
No, it's not too expensive for me. It is probably too expensive for some others who just want to watch the shows though, and that's why I'm in support of more subscription options that are low priced (or free if that works).
Tratious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
not really i think it actually is fairly priced for most shows atleast
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Not really.

As others have said, it's all about the ability to wait for sales, weekly specials, closeout items, etc. I've been watching a lot of older titles lately, and the money saved allows me to purchase other titles as well. Even without the sales, shopping online usually nets some sort of discount.

In addition to that is the fact that anime is, and always be, a niche product. As such, I expect the higher price points that come along with it.
flavius184

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
In addition to that is the fact that anime is, and always be, a niche product. As such, I expect the higher price points that come along with it.

Indeed. As much as I'd like to have the typical price to be a little bit lower for DVDs, I can't escape the fact that anime is not that popular, and that the prices are there to keep the anime companies in business.

Then again, nowadays you can legally watch a complete series for free on the internet, which to me is very generous for those on a budget.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
FaytLein wrote:
All of the current R1 companies have rather large companies backing them, and without someone to help pony up cash, living and dying by your own sales becomes VERY important.

There's a misconception to think companies "back" the little ones they own. Navarre simply owns FUNimation, but does not "back" this company financially. Thus, Navarre's video game revenues can not be used to support FUNimation losses. Not legally, anyway.

The part about "not legally, anyway" isn't accurate for US business law and most international business law. Being able to distribute funds across your subsidiaries and give yourself loans and interest rates lower than what a bank would charge is one of the major advantages of being a multi-national corporation and owning subsidiary companies.
oldwrench

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I think anime is one of the underrated bargains in the entertainment industry. I looked at a box set I just bought, 300 minutes, not including the extras, for less than 35 dollars. This is less than it costs for some new release movies, and if anime sales were half what movie release sales were, they would be less expensive yet.

At my age, I can pretty much buy what I want, just have to put up with a bit of griping from SHE, who must be obeyed. I try to support the industry by purchasing the titles I want to watch, even though I can borrow just about anything, licensed here, from my son. He buys the individual discs, and art boxes. We just built him a new shelf for his house. eight feet long and nine shelves high, it holds nearly half his collection.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I have gotten some nice deals on anime. Bestbuy was having a sale a few months ago. I was able to buy the first Negima! anime for around $13 (this was the VC BTW)

The only animes I didn't wait for the full box set to come out (which was kind of my downfall on how much I spent) was the 2nd Negima anime and Ouran. But I didn't want to wait a year for VC as the extras made the most likely $30 extra on buying the two part box sets worth it.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Part of the reason anime seems so expensive is there's just so much of it to buy. Even 10 years ago, there was less on the market, so each purchase felt more special. Now the anime boom has paradoxically reduced that specialness of the product, at the same time making it more expensive if you want to keep up with the ever-growing amount of anime available.

Meanwhile this distracts us from the fact that, if you buy with some care, anime provides greater value for money than most live action media, especially considering that every frame of animation has to be hand-crafted.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. It’s expensive. 20 or 30 bucks a DVD seems unfair when you can legally stream it for free. I don't get what the companies are doing when they stream but whatever.

At the end of the day, I guess to some degree anime is cheap because most people should not buy every single anime that he or she likes/see. You should just buy the few you really like. Furthermore, every year, most of the stuff that comes out is crappy and most people only like 1 or 2 of the new shows made each year.

Seen bunch of anime and when I was younger wasted my money and bought a lot of crap too. I think I only really like 10 or 15 animes out of all the animes I’ve seen. People should buy the special ones they really like. Not everyone they like. Meaning ok you like the gundam series but don’t by everyone. Buy the one or two you really like. Me it would be gundam seed and gundam 00 series. Didn’t buy though because I don’t really like gundam.

Another Ex:
For me out of all the animes made this year so far, phantom and k on is what I’ll only watch. Everything else is garbage. Pandora hearts is ok I guess but still you just don't see not that many masterpieces/new stuff lately. No would not buy those shows because of streaming and I wouldn’t call knock offs masterpieces. If you have watched enough anime you’ll realize that the new is copying the old. Original (old) is better. Mitchicko was a masterpiece though and if not it was cleary unique. At least Shinichirō Watanabe/ Manglobe know how to make new stuff. Tired of seeing japanese cultured animes with echi romance slice of life etc. the norm
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
^
I don't think people are actually buying stuff they think is bad (unless they don't have the technical ability to preview it).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9