• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Media Blasters to remaster Magic Knight Rayearth.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1596031&postcount=50

John Sirabella just announced it at AnimeonDVD, if you read towards the middle of that post, as John comments on the reasons for and against re-releases.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for the right sale to pick up the box set from Rightstuf, but now I may just wait unless by remaster they mean release a blu-ray.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Why do I get the suspicion this remaster will be done from DVD, and not from the original film.

I personally can't figure out what needs to be remastered. Trying to clean up a digital file which was transferred from an analog source doesn't sound appealing at all, especially if the remaster is to take away the dithering.

Given it's old school anime, there's something to be said about leaving the original art... original.

I guess we'll just have to see. I really did enjoy the series and if it's remastered exceptionally, I may just have to buy it.

Anything less is not acceptable.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, it'll probably be done from Media Blasters masters [which would of been the same materials the japanese had to work with], like the Berserk remaster, unless they got hold of the japanese remaster [which would of been done using the same technology anyways- I imagine it depends on what's costeffective, since MB's restoration track record's pretty good- just look at Voltron]. It'll probably end up looking pretty good.

Better sound is another possibility too. I hope it stays at a similar price to past Rayearth reissues...
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
It figures that right after I pick up both season sets of Magic Knight Rayearth on the cheap, that I hear about something like this. My timing sucks... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Well, it'll probably be done from Media Blasters masters [which would of been the same materials the japanese had to work with], like the Berserk remaster, unless they got hold of the japanese remaster [which would of been done using the same technology anyways- I imagine it depends on what's costeffective, since MB's restoration track record's pretty good- just look at Voltron]. It'll probably end up looking pretty good.

Better sound is another possibility too. I hope it stays at a similar price to past Rayearth reissues...

Considering the usual TRSI price for the Berserk brick was like $80 and now the remaster can be had for like $27, I think there's a decent chance the price will drop.
archaron

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
It figures that right after I pick up both season sets of Magic Knight Rayearth on the cheap, that I hear about something like this. My timing sucks... Rolling Eyes

You don't know yet how good or bad the remastering of it will be. In the end you may be glad you have the original release.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
It figures that right after I pick up both season sets of Magic Knight Rayearth on the cheap, that I hear about something like this. My timing sucks...

How does your timing suck? By the time it's remastered, released for $50, and hashed with reviews (whether good or bad), you'll have had watched a good series.

The original isn't that bad to require a remaster, so if you think of it that way, the savings entitles you to another series.
Smile
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just picked this up last week, and even if the new remastered set for both seasons was only $50, then I still paid less than half of that for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
...it was bad enough when seasons boxsets came out seperately at first and I picked it up and THEN they re-released them in a much smaller boxset for the price of one... Then again, I did get them before all this re-releasing in smaller (and more affordable) packaging started... Oh wells, I've got what I've got and I'm sticking with them. >_>
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
I hope remastering means redubbing. I like dubs, but honestly, MKR is one of the few dubs that really annoyed me. I like the show well enough. I'd buy it if it were redubbed.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I really doubt they'd go and redub 49 episodes of a 1994 anime, especially when MB can barely dub any of their new releases. But any new remastering would be an improvement over the old DVDs which were from ~1999-2001 and sucked badly. Poor video quality, hardsubs all over the place, wonky path branching with only one OP/ED for all eps on the disk, profound lack of Japanese cast/crew crediting... there's a lot of improvement that could be made.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I really doubt they'd go and redub 49 episodes of a 1994 anime, especially when MB can barely dub any of their new releases. But any new remastering would be an improvement over the old DVDs which were from ~1999-2001 and sucked badly. Poor video quality, hardsubs all over the place, wonky path branching with only one OP/ED for all eps on the disk, profound lack of Japanese cast/crew crediting... there's a lot of improvement that could be made.

The lack of improvements up til now is why I have yet to upgrade yet from VHS to dvd heh. I still got the entire series on VHS, minus the OVA's which I got on dvd. So I'm personally looking forward to a remastered set. I just hope they have one big set of both seasons when it's said and done with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1