• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime from the 80s.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coldmug

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
Lately not many new sets have gotten my attention so i ended up looking back in time to the good old sets that i all most forgot about but now have started to watch again after buying them. Like one of the sets i found was the good old ronin warriors. So them main thing i was wondering is what great old sets have everyone else has seen or know of form the 80s or even late 70's.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
Well one that I know about is Urusei Yatsura. I've only seen the first 10 episodes (out of 196), but I took from it that it was really funny but also really intimidating with it's immense size. Rightstuf has all 50 singles for $10, Box sets 1,2,3,&5 for $90 each and all six movies and OVA's.

3 more shows I hear good things about through the grapevine are Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, and Kimagure Orange Road. Rightstuf has all 7 box set seasons, the OVA box, and movie box of Ranma for $37.46. The other two, though, are out of print so good luck finding them. Rightstuf used to have all of Maison Ikkoku, but one day they just took down all of them and I don't know if they'll ever be put back up.

I found the whole Kimagure set on eBay, but it was $900 and Maison Ikkoku boxes for no less than $200 each on Amazon. Hope your pockets are deep.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball dates back from 1986:)
Two great series that I can recommend from 70' are
Cutey Honey- people call it "magical girls" but don't expect pink swords and kawaii pokemons. In this time it could be "new and fresh" but now it seems like great parody with good music and funny fanservice
Rose of Versailles -don't read about it, just watch and see how great and non stereotypical shoujo can be.
Both of them I've seen in German- first in german TV, second on DVD
And maybe one more, unfortunately available only on French bootlegs.
Oniisama E-from 1991 but animation seems to be much older and simply different from all new series. This series probably has the best plot and character development of all animes I've see.
nagato316

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
For those who want to dig into the original uncut Japanese versions of the "Robotech Masters" and "Invid" storylines from Carl Macek's Robotech, ADV's mega-box set that bundles both Southern Cross and Mospeada can be had for just a little over $40 at Best Buy. That's like a double-dose of old-school for the price of one. I've still been on the fence about actually getting this, but still considering.
TheLivingEd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I know some good late 80s OAVs: Vampire Princess Miyu was good, Cyber City Oedo and Record of Lodoss War are from 1990ish, but that's close enough. Bubblegum Crisis was awesome.
user00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
More sets: City Hunter and Patlabor! Both are classics. I haven't seen Votoms, but I heard that's good stuff too.
AU_Gundam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, these certainly aren't available as box sets, but here are a number of good 80s stuff I've watched/been watching so far:

L-Gaim: Yoshiyuki Tomino at it with another mech work, only this time, it's a breath of fresh air from his generic kill'em all works. Shows like this only started reappearing after he made Victory Gundam.

Dragonar: In somewhat the same lieu as L-Gaim. A great mech work that's worth the watch. An interesting hictorical note is that if this show had surpassed Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ's ratings, it would have replaced Gundam and the last Gundam work would have been Char's Counterattack.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1