• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam 00 season 2 on Sci-fi channel... June 29th?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rubyfulcrum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
According to Sci-fi.com's online TV schedule, at this link, Gundam 00 Season 2 starts on June 29th... that's just in a few weeks! This is the first I've heard of this, and Season 1's broadcast was announced quite a bit before the actual day... I don't want to get my hopes up!
I wonder if anyone can verify this?
Thomas de Modena

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
This info was headlined about three weeks ago here at Anime News Network and so far the guys over at the Sci Fi Channel's web pages haven't messed up their schedule in quite along time. So I trust their call and know that come June 29th @ 11P.M. they'll be airing MSG00 season 2!
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I just watched Gundam 00, I love it. The UC fans will love it. I think the battles are not as intensive as Zeta Gundam and the plot not as complex as Zeta but it is nevertheless very well done. The plots, weapons, battle scenes and characters are just wonderfully scripted and animated. Looks like they correctly Seed Destiny.

Absolutely can't compare Gundam 00 with Code Geass, Setsuna is a typical Gundam protagonist, he can confidently take his place in the line of Gundam meisters starting with Amuro Ray. The plots, weapons, etc are all so very Sunrise. Code Geass looks like a soap opera, the battle are not at all intensive and Lelouch is unstable. I prefer Cowboy Bebop to Code Geass. I like Lelouch but I am disappointed with R2 of Code Geass.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:
I just watched Gundam 00, I love it. The UC fans will love it. I think the battles are not as intensive as Zeta Gundam and the plot not as complex as Zeta but it is nevertheless very well done. The plots, weapons, battle scenes and characters are just wonderfully done. It looks like they correctly Seed Destiny.

Absolutely can't compare Gundam 00 with Code Geass, Setsuna is a typical Gundam protagonist, he can confidently take his place in the line of Gundam meisters starting with Amuro Ray. The plots, weapons, etc are all so very Sunrise. Code Geass looks like a soap opera, the battle are not at all intensive and Lelouch is unstable. I prefer Cowboy Bebop to Code Geass. I like Lelouch but I am disappointed with R2 of Code Geass.

I don't think you understand UC fans. Setsuna is a little freak who has a Gundam-complex and as far as I can tell, never really developed a personality. Maybe I wasn't reading into 00 that much, but I found the characterization and motives to be weak and unexplored. It also has a personal strike because I don't really like the lanky redesigns of the Gundams in this universe, they only seem to be Gundams in name and borrowed design.

Besides, any hardcore Gundam fan you've met has already downloaded it and watched when it aired, now we're all waiting for Unicorn and the last episode of MS IGLOO.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ivorymoose wrote:
I just watched Gundam 00, I love it. The UC fans will love it. I think the battles are not as intensive as Zeta Gundam and the plot not as complex as Zeta but it is nevertheless very well done. The plots, weapons, battle scenes and characters are just wonderfully done. It looks like they correctly Seed Destiny.

I don't think you understand UC fans.

Ok, I would like to know UC fans, please explain! Very Happy
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ivorymoose wrote:

I don't think you understand UC fans. Setsuna is a little freak who has a Gundam-complex and as far as I can tell, never really developed a personality. Maybe I wasn't reading into 00 that much, but I found the characterization and motives to be weak and unexplored. It also has a personal strike because I don't really like the lanky redesigns of the Gundams in this universe, they only seem to be Gundams in name and borrowed design.

Ah....I see what you mean. I think I have been shocked by Seed Destiny. I'm just so relieved to see no Lacus Clyne and no Cargalli type characters. I like the lady characters in Gundam 00. They're respectable professional lady soldiers. The artwork is also much better for Gundam 00. I'm happy Setsuna did not become weird like Athrun and Kira. The plot while nowhere close to Zeta, is nevertheless not weak. I tend to agree that the Gundam models are nothing new. They never come up with any new models. I like the 00 Raiser but I think the twin drives make the 00 Gundam look bulky, lacking elegance.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I'll just be honest and outright say, despite liking many of the same series they do, that a lot of "hardcore UC fans" generally look down upon many of the non-UC Gundam titles, including 00, even though several of the respectable classics they hold in such high regard didn't exactly have perfectly straightforward plots nor brilliant characterizations to begin with...nor did they avoid soap opera elements entirely. It depends on what specific set of standards you want to use, but many of the same criticisms that are so common these days would still apply, to one extent or another, to the older entries in the franchise if they were put under a more critical eye.

From a different perspective, without taking things further in that direction (you can, of course, feel free to read between the lines) since this is meant to be a topic about Gundam 00 after all...I would say 00 was a good AU series in and of itself. Though I also hoped to see some more depth behind certain ideas, characters and developments which the second season didn't really flesh out as much as it could have, at least not until the movie comes around...others did get a decent amount of attention and the show was still generally quite interesting. All in all, Sci-Fi made a good choice.

And well, since this was also brought up...comparing almost anything else that Sunrise has ever made to Cowboy Bebop tends to be a bit unfair. Most of that team no longer works there, for one, and I'd hardly want to argue that any of their mecha series ever managed to reach kind of mainstream appeal and relative maturity. Not even Gundam, to be honest. Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I thought Gundam 00 was a decent recent effort in the franchise, certainly expontentially better than the past two trainwreck series (and no, the original SEED wasn't dramatically better than Destiny, they were both awful). Not great, but decent.

However, the dub is one of Ocean's worst to date. I was very disappointed at the dub of the first season. Most of the voice talents seemed to have been phoning in their lines, delivering them in half-asleep fashion, or were just plain wrong for their roles, like whoever voiced Sergei Smirnov. I didn't appreciate the insult to my intelligence when they decided to use the same two voice actors to voice nearly every extra and one-off, even if Scott McNeil was one of those two.

It's a huge come down from Ocean's Death Note dub, that's for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
I was actually rather pleased with Gundam 00 aside from certain elements it was pretty good. I mean, it may just be because Seed and Seed: Destiny were god awful, but as a whole it's in the good pile as far as I'm concerned. At least, that is the subs were alright, the ocean dub however was just grating. I'm not one of those people who hates all dubs and thinks subs are the only way, I try to give both a chance, but the 00 dub was flat, boring and at least IMO it sounded like the actors were on valume or something.

My favorite gundam series was always Gundam Wing, just because it was the first one I ever saw and one of the series that got me into anime in the first place and I may have liked 00 as much as I did because of the similarities between it and GW. But really this dub was just plain bad. I usually find subs more entertaining simply because it feels like the VAs put more feeling and/or effort into the roles. I can't wait to see some of the more dramatic scenes of season 2 with Setsuna and his off Heero Yuy impression that the actor was seemingly trying to achieve.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1