• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seeking opinions on my anime parody.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YamiAtomsk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
This is somthing I made for my Anime Club its called "Anime Heaven". It is basically my attempt at somthing like AMV hell, and its the first time I've taken on a video project this big.
If some of you could be so kind as to watch it and give me some constuctive critisism that would be great. That way I would know what to do if I decide to make a sequel.

I made 2 version a clean edited version, and an explicit uncut version. Both versions consist of 2 10 minutes parts.

Edited clean version:
Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gplK8ojENWE
Part 2http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO6x3oXWkTs

Explicit Uncut Version:
Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii8pyU-Lhy8
Part 2http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ADJWSCYU8

Thank you for your opinions and time

(P.S. to mods I didn't really know where to post this, so srry in advance if I put it in the wrong place, or broke any rules)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, your videos are not available in my country. Just more disturbing anti-Canadianism, I tells ya!
YamiAtomsk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sadly, your videos are not available in my country. Just more disturbing anti-Canadianism, I tells ya!

You have Sony to thank for that
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

If Yami's willing to send them to me, I can host on my web site for you (or others) to view if it's really that important to you.
Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, I admit that the "explicit uncut version" designation intrigued me... Shocked
YamiAtomsk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Blood- wrote:

If Yami's willing to send them to me, I can host on my web site for you (or others) to view if it's really that important to you.
Smile

And what website is that?
David.Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
YamiAtomsk wrote:
If some of you could be so kind as to watch it and give me some constuctive critisism that would be great.

OK, to be honest, when I was thinking anime parody, I was thinking it was going to be something along the lines of Evangelion: ReDeath or something to that effect. But there's nothing wrong with making AMV Hell-esque videos. So I will try to offer some constructive criticism where I can.

1. Please don't used anime clips with sub titles. Its distracting and takes away from the dub job you worked on. Either rip a DVD or download raws to get non subtitled anime. And if you can't, then try not to use them. I don't know how other people feel about this, but I've always hated it in AMVs.

2. To much family guy. I'm a fan of the show, but it gets used too much. eh, especially the "mommy" clip Confused

3. Be more creative and original. I saw more than a few similarities to the AMV Hell series. The "Finger Bang" song being one example (and the static breaks too).

4. Actually that's about it. While not my cup o' tea, there were a few parts that made me lol a bit (Ryuk to the SB techno, DBZ clip "making small rocks...", and the "under wear" song).

Last edited by David.Seth on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
YamiAtomsk wrote:
And what website is that?

Umm...

Okay, now that I'm home and couldn't wait to view the uncut videos, I have to say they weren't what I was expecting.

Remember, constructive criticism, okay? Don't throw rocks at me.

Let me start off with the positives, it'll help weaken the blow a bit.

First, I really did like the editing where it matched well with the music. That's pretty good skill to crop/match based on the even the slightest changes in the music.

Second, Lucky Star characters always fun to watch.

But, that's about it for the positives.

For the negatives, I wasn't fond of being greeted with screeching music from a video game. Sorry, but that's just me. The Mario Death To Video Game Music score has been played too many times to be considered entertaining now.

I agree with the subtitles. Lose 'em.

I'm also not a fan of "stop and block text" to display a message. It destroys the flow of what starts out pretty good. Use transitions and overlays. They're much more effective and doesn't stop the flow.

Finally, 10 minutes is way too long through the rollercoaster of quick changes. You may want to shave these down to 3 minute clips. They'd be more entertaining without the "oh, crap... is it over yet?" feeling.

Again, great skills on matching up music despite my personal dislike of the songs selected. After you get some more feedback, and redo it, let us know.
Smile
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
YamiAtomsk wrote:
Blood- wrote:

You have Sony to thank for that

Damn Sony, always leaving us out from these videos...
hypersoda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
YamiAtomsk wrote:
If some of you could be so kind as to watch it and give me some constuctive critisism that would be great.

OK, to be honest, when I was thinking anime parody, I was thinking it was going to be something along the lines of Evangelion: ReDeath or something to that effect. But there's nothing wrong with making AMV Hell-esque videos. So I will try to offer some constructive criticism where I can.

1. Please don't used anime clips with sub titles. Its distracting and takes away from the dub job you worked on. Either rip a DVD or download raws to get non subtitled anime. And if you can't, then try not to use them. I don't know how other people feel about this, but I've always hated it in AMVs.

Yeah, and I'll link to the Animemusicvideos.org tutorial for removing subtitles.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/subremoval/default.htm
TeamP9S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote
This is just like yours, also heavily inspired by amv hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPw_8TH9XtM
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I only watched part 1 edited (I'll check on the rest later), but I have to agree with the above sentiments to lose the subtitles and cut down some of the clips. Remember, you really only need enough to get your joke across, then you need to move on so we don't get bored. Specifically, cut down the rickroll, 'mommy', and take out part of the Voltron transformation. (Actually, for me, I'd like to see that whole clip cut out- it wasn't spliced together very well, so it was more of a 'oh, that's where this is going' than a laugh.)
TwooGiz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I really would appreciate some constructive criticism on these parodies of mine. My friends and I made these and just want some feedback. We've been doing this for about a year and a half now so we know our way somewhat but not really. =D Don't be shy to speak your mind!

http://www.youtube.com/user/2GuysAnd1More

The playlists on the side have all our videos in them.

Be warned very explicit language!
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:39 am Reply with quote
Wrong website.

This belongs on newgrounds. Yeah definitely. I'm comparing your vids to theirs. Hmm surprised I remembered that website. Haven't been there in years
www.newgrounds.com

Oh yeah opinions um well I'm not familar with parodies in general.

What's good:
Short
Simple jokes
Voice acting is good. What's to be expected from those types of videos

What]s bad:
I don't know, but if you want to get better I'd recommend watching these videos. It's not the same as what you are doing, but similar. You can adopt some of their techniques.

http://www.spill.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/spillcom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezY69wHQZJM (It's comedy, chill people)
TwooGiz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Newgrounds would be great for our videos but we are not good at flash. If we were I'm sure we would be all over that site. We've been huge Newgrounds fans for a long time. I'm not surprised you see similarities to the humor from there.

The spill guys are great too. Just some guys speaking their minds always gives up some laughs.

Thanks for your feedback we really appreciate it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1