• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Recommendation: Complete and Plot-driven

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raymondbeautrix

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

Sorry to start up another manga recommedation thread, but hopefully with this unique twist it will provide the community some new information and insight.

I'm looking for people's favorite manga which is 1) completed and 2) plot and/or character driven (I'm basically looking for a really compelling story as opposed to something unfocused or episodic). I like naruto as much as the next person, but I find it really difficult to have to wait for months or even years for resolution at the pace of only one chapter per week.

I really don't mind what genre it's from. My favorite manga of all time is Rurouni Kenshin largely because of how self-sacrificing and compassionate the main character was, and also the samurai/historical theme.

Here's the format I'd like to suggest people give their response in:

1) Give your top one or two (or however many) mangas that are complete and plot/character-driven
2) Provide at least 2-3 sentences or even a small paragraph to support why they're your favorite

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ray
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if you mean complete in the Japanese release or complete in the American release. I'm just going under the assumption that you mean complete in general.

I'd say that my number one favorite manga would be 20th Century Boys. And I think it fits all your listed requirements. It's complete (though quite long), and it's a very plot driven series. Also, it has some good characters that are really fleshed out. It's a really good thriller series, I can't recommend it enough.

Another that I would suggest is Old Boy. It's another thriller that has a strong plot. I originally watched the Korean movie version of it, and afterwords I got hooked on the manga (thought I'm still in the proses of buying them). It's a classic i my eyes. The main character is a real bad ass, which is a plus for me.

And for a touch of comedy I'd suggest Genshiken. It's not plot driven (to any extent of the imagination), but it is very character driven. All the characters in the series are very fleshed out and are very entertaining. This is probably my favorite comedy series, and I think anyone could enjoy it.

I hope these all fit what you're looking for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
raymondbeautrix

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:39 am Reply with quote
It could be complete Japanese release, that's still ok (I read all 28 books of kenshin in Japanese, but I also read in english sometimes because its faster).

I have seen a lot of suggestions for 20th century boys. I did really enjoy Monster thought I might not put it in the 'all-time favorite' category.

I watched all the genshiken anime and really liked it! It had been awhile since I found an anime I could get into. Maybe I should check out the manga too.

Thanks for the suggestions, Mushi-man.

Anyone have any other advice? I'd like to hear a variety of opinions!
raymondbeautrix

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Any other suggestions? I just finished reading Marmalade Boy for the first time. After I got into it, I was really hooked. Engaging story and characters and the comic relief was great too.

I hope more people are willing to share. I'd be really interested in what you have to say!
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
Hiya! Very Happy Well, here's my shot at it, based on what I've read so far anyways! Mr. Green

1. Maison Ikkoku, Monster
2. Maison Ikkoku is a wonderfully told romance comedy that's (comparatively Laughing) short and sweet, written by the master herself Rumiko Takahashi. While somewhat episodic in nature, Takahashi does a very good job of introducing new plot elements in a timely manner (unlike, imo, her recent works, Ranma 1/2 and Inu Yasha) to advance and grow the relationships of a very lovable and memorable cast of characters. Monster and (as previously mentioned) 20th Century Boys, are both very compelling suspense thrillers written for a mature audience that can very easily keep you at the edge of your seat, and are quite unlike the typical shonen and shojo fare that's currently saturated the market. The heavy political, moral, philosophical and existential overtones in both works are handled with exceptional grace and skill, and easily place the author (Naoki Urasawa) amongst the best manga story-tellers I've read in a long time.

But to be honest, I actually prefer light-hearted and fun manga (like Dr. Slump, Gintama and the original Dragonball) which don't really have a plot per se, but are just fun to read no matter where you start from. Very Happy Hope this helps! Mr. Green
raymondbeautrix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh: thanks for the helpful response

I've read all of monster. It was interesting and fairly engaging, though I probably wouldn't put in on my all-time-favorites list. It's not that I dislike serious manga, since much of kenshin was serious (though it had some great comic relief too). I really enjoyed Death Note and that was pretty much all serious.

I'm almost done with v2 of 20th century boys and it does have a very similar feeling as monster. I recognize that it's very well done, but either I haven't gotten into it yet or it's just not a genre that I enjoy as much.

I've seen some maison ikkoku anime episodes and thought it was amusing. Maybe I'll check out the manga at some point as well.

I guess Dragon Ball wasn't 'plot driver' per se, but it was cool how it went over the time scale of a few generations. I loved DB manga...possibly one of my favorites next to Kenshin.

Any other suggestions?
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Ode to Kirihito

Ode to Kirihito is the first manga I've read and it's been about 1 or 2 weeks I've finished it. It's about a disease that transforms peoples body's into a werewolf form. It's a medical manga it doesn't get really deep in to that though. It's hard to describe because I'm not very good with these things but if you look at a review you will understand what I mean a lot better. There's a lot of surprises is this manga and also it comes in a all-in-one bundle from Vertical. It was previously a 3 volume series.

Note : It may seem a little weird since it's a pretty old manga but it's written from Osamu Tezuka a very very very very well known manga creator.
Arkard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
What I got into lately include:

1. Manhole,
Released by Square Enix, drawn and written by Tsutsui Tetsuya, Manhole is an amazingly well crafted story which starts with a naked, blood/mud/shit covered guy walking through the streets and slowly evolves into a pretty intense mindfuck about the nature of evil, free will and the like. There are no supernatural elements to it, and the comic is only 3 volumes big. The art also ain't bad. Don't think it has been released though, but scans are easily available. (disclaimer: I did buy it, relax).

2. Doubt,
By Yoshiki Tonogai. Finished, also with 3 volumes. An intense suspense thriller with horror elements involving lotsa young kids getting killed in a sick version of the "mafia game". Good stuff. Again, have no idea if it was released officially in the US.

3. Pluto
The darker retelling of Astro Boy, final volume coming out in a couple of days. Do androids dream of electric sheep? That is basically the theme of this manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1