• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Macross DYRL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
We already know what happened to it. As Kawamori put it, it was sucked into a black hole, all hands lost.

I love the original cast to death, but I just don't understand the obsession with the Megaroad-01. Their story was that of Space War 1 and it's aftermath. It's been told. Why does everything seem to have to be until the characters die of old age for people to feel it's concluded? They showed Max and Milia post 2012, and most people hate that series. Wink

Could more stories of Hikaru, Misa and Minmay be told? Probably. Are they actually needed. Not at all. the triangles over, and one member's passed away and another's not very likely to come onboard. I wouldn't even hold my breath for a manga. Though maybe Macross: The First might help a bit.

Do you have any source for that? I've never seen anyone else post something along those lines. But even if we assume that is the case, just getting sucked in would still have something going on. Unless it was just a stupid mistake or what not. At least have some Event Horizon shit going on.

And for the Macross 7 hate, that show is pure awesome.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
Macross 7 was rubbish. Oh it had parts that were good, some good ideas. But it was rubbish. Frontier got it right, salvaging the good aspects of 7 (life on a Macross colonization fleet) and made it watchable.

7 is the only part of Macross I can't stand, I love practically everything else, including Zero (which was great btw, it gets a bad rap I think)
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
That's what I've was told to be his answer after he had finally had enough of all the "What happens to the Megaroad-01" questions. It's sort of like Anno's famous english "Too Bad" to someone that said they hated the TV ending of Eva. Kawamori's stance is exactly how I put it, that story's been told. I'll see if there's any article somewhere. It's not canon by any means. Canon simply dictates that they went out of communications range. The End. The megaroad was merely a pickup to Global's bit on colonoization and to offer one last glimpse of the three leaving Earth in new hands.

Here's what i found on the compendium. Apparently the Black Hole bit has one other source.

Quote:
As for the fate of the Ichijyo family and everyone else on the Megaroad-01…. For all intents and purposes, The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012 music video was their proverbial ride into the sunset.

There was a mail-in gift for The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? video game that offers one what-if scenario. The gift was a music-playing card in the design of the crucial Protoculture music plate that Misa found in the movie. On this card was the purported last message from Lynn Minmay aboard the Megaroad-01 colonization ship. The message says that the ship was about to investigate a black hole at the center of the galaxy.

However, given that this story comes from a not-for-sale extra for a game based on what is considered a "historical" dramatization within Macross, it is not the final word on the trio's fates.

Shoji Kawamori probably summed it up best at Anime Expo 2002's Macross Panel when he gave the closest thing to an official answer:

"God knows."

Really, whatever happened to them is up to you. If you want, Hikaru divorced Misa, left her and their child, and hooked up with his old flame. Misa then had his VF-4 sabotaged and had Minmay offed with the explanation that she caught some severe form of Space-flu. She then lived happily, but sulkily amongst her all male bridge crew. Wink

Or maybe Minmay just sang a lot in the ships bar.

Quote:

What's this now? A planned Macross Manga or something?

Not planned, running manga. It premiered in Macross Ace a few months ago.It's essentially Mikimoto's retelling of the first TV series updated for the 21st century (ex: they have cellphones now), and using the best designs from TV and DYRL (since apparently everybody thinks DYRL's are intantly better), with some changes here and there (Misa is the MC for the air show since Focker's leading the Angel Birds, Vanessa has boyishly short hair, etc). It's basically like Sadamoto's Eva manga (though hopefully won't suffer from as many delays).

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-11-21/designer-haruhiko-mikimoto-to-draw-new-macross-manga

Flipping through my copy of Ace, the art's pretty much what one would expect from Mikimoto.

Last edited by Renaisance Otaku on Sat May 09, 2009 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
Oh my sweet god.

I've... ah... got to go check something... *scampers off into the internet*

EDIT: Okay my Google Fu is super weak. Can anyone tell me where I could import a copy of Macross Ace online (however many issues currently are out) with no muss and no fuss?

I don't usually buy untranslated magazines/manga, but I think, for this, I'll make an exception. If I can find an easyish way to import a copy.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:48 am Reply with quote
I got my copy from Kinokuniya's SF store. You may wish to ask at the Macross Ace thread on MW. There's only one issue out right now. It also features Frontier and 7 manga. The First is essentially in the second episode or so right now.

As for 7, I wasn't giving a personal opinion of it. I haven't really seen enough to judge. It's okay so far from the 10 episodes I've seen. Frontier is a deeply flawed show in it's own right. SDF:M and Plus are my favorites, though I also liked Zero, Frontier and even II, which doesn't even count. Though this is a DYRL thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:07 am Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of 7, but I can see why many don't like it. A lot of people's first experience is with Plus, which is a hell of a lot more serious than Macross in general. Yes, it was more over the top than anything else, but it was still the same "singing at aliens > shooting at aliens" premise that Macross runs on.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:08 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Macross 7 was rubbish. Oh it had parts that were good, some good ideas. But it was rubbish. Frontier got it right, salvaging the good aspects of 7 (life on a Macross colonization fleet) and made it watchable.

7 is the only part of Macross I can't stand, I love practically everything else, including Zero (which was great btw, it gets a bad rap I think)

Any OVA that makes the Cold War boring is awful. I mean Kawamori tried to make a series that should have gone 26 episodes and shoves it into 5 episodes.

Also theirs a mysterious ship called

ASS-1

Not Alien Space Ship 1 but ASS-1
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
I remember a lot of people didn't like the concept of Spiritia. Something about it downplaying the concept of culture shock so integral to the series.

Zero was a lot of things, but I wouldn't count boring as one of them. It still has some awesome and effective action sequences. It also wasn't The Cold War. Though can we not turn this thread into "which Macross shows I think suck"?
Raja

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Just put in the DYRL Playstation game for the first time in a while...they made a lot of extra animation for this game. With the original voice cast, even. The game opens with Skull Squadron taking off from the Prometheus, just before it gets destroyed by a shot from orbit...

After the first mission (fighting over South Ataria Island), they show a cinematic of Skull flying towards the SDF-1, just as it is lifting off. The ship folds immediately upon clearing the ground, and oddly the city doesn't go with, as in the TV version...then, the game shows the title sequence straight from the movie.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
nargun wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Also, Arjuna can be enjoyed immensely if you turn off the sound.

Youko Kanno's soundtrack is the best part of arjuna.

[and macross zero's soundtrack is probably the weakest of any macross, weaker even than dynamite seven].

Maybe I should have meant turn off the dialog, I do agree that the soundtrack was great. Again it's something the show did not deserve.
Fortunately, the Bandai release has "isolated score" audio tracks, so you actually can turn off the dialogue Cool
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
I,m so glad i found this vhs tape at the car boot ten years ago for 2GBP. Not as good as Macross plus the movie but definitly my second fav macross incarnation.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
DYRL is a timeless classic. This movie is a truly inspiring work. No other anime has captivated me in quite the same way that DYRL did.

The music is what really stood out for me. Mari Iijima did a great job. Her songs have stood the test of time well and I always go back to listen to them. The art direction and animation for this movie is incredible, even for now, and we're never gonna see a great hand drawn movie like this ever again. The music, story, and art flowed well from beginning to end.

I love this movie!
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
Also, everyone who enjoys bad dubs should track down that VHS. Best buck-fifty I ever spent.

Same here.I'd enjoyed the dubs.Probably cause i'd seen it's US adapation robotech first. Also when you get use to it,it don't sound bad at all,and there's the fact that the industry came a long way in the english department.

Since ADV remade the dub versions of macross,Hopefully they'll do the same for the movie. If it happens,i'll be looking forward to it's release. Same with Macross II: The Sentinels movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RedLeader

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
Uh.. I hate to point this out... But Macross II and The Sentinels were two different things. Macross II was an OAV made without the express conscent or involvement of Kawamori and is more or less a sequel to the DYRL version of events, rather than the TV show. The Sentinels, was Harmony Gold's failed attempt at a second Robotech series which was was cancelled about 3 or so episodes in and was recut together into a movie that sets up the story for the Sentinels novels.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:
Uh.. I hate to point this out... But Macross II and The Sentinels were two different things. Macross II was an OAV made without the express conscent or involvement of Kawamori and is more or less a sequel to the DYRL version of events, rather than the TV show. The Sentinels, was Harmony Gold's failed attempt at a second Robotech series which was was cancelled about 3 or so episodes in and was recut together into a movie that sets up the story for the Sentinels novels.

Yes, but they're both equally bad! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7