• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What mangas are You Excited to see in 2009?!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gudong

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
I love Naruto, it's one of my favorite anime series(I read it on [snip]). All of my friends love Naruto as well.how about you?

[Mod note: This is the 3rd time I've had to write this warning in the last 5 minutes. Please do not link to fansub or scanlation sites anywhere on the forums. ~C]
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:00 am Reply with quote
More Pluto and 20th Century Boys. My god, they are so good.

I can't imagine reading anything like Naruto in my life. Let alone be excited about it. It so cliche and generic.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:15 am Reply with quote
Naruto is a fun series, but it's so long and it's hard hard to keep up with all the new releases. I follow the Dutch edition, but I'm already several volumes behind, again.

Other shounen series have my priority over Naruto. I buy D. Gray-man always right now time, like I've done since the first volume. I recently got into Eyeshield 21 and I'm looking forward to the final volumes of Saint Seiya.

I haven't started many new series, except for Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei. Okay, I did start some series, but those were mostly older series like Moon Child. Moon Child's final volume should be released this year. I want to start collecting Tower of the Future sometime this year.

Other series I follow are 20th Century Boys (Dutch Edition), Detective Conan (Dutch Edition), Nausicaä (Dutch Edition) and I really want to complete Akira (Dutch Edition) before the end of 2009.

I'll probably buy some one-shots, but that's not something I plan ahead. Several publishers have gekiga and other old manga in their 2009 line-up, so it should be an interesting year.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:41 am Reply with quote
This topic could be interesting, but could someone remove that internet address from the first message.

Excited: Pluto, Zetsubou-sensei, Tsukihime, Berserk, Dojin Work and Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha ViVid

Really excited: Mahou Senki Lyrical Nanoha Force and Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya Zwei. There can never be enough battling magical girls.

NOT excited: Naruto
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
I'm not excited about reading more Naruto in 2009 - I stopped reading it last year. As for shonen jump manga, I'm still collecting D Grayman which I really enjoy - it's probably the gothic appeal. I'm thinking about starting Kekkaishi since I liked the anime.

The manga series I'm really excited about collecting more of is 20th Century Boys and Pluto (I wish Master Keaton was licensed - now that would really make me happy!). I'm also hoping that Fumi Yoshinaga's Flower of Life vol 4 and Ooku finally get released here in the summer. I'm looking forward to more Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - loved the first volume!

I still have a number of other already released manga series I need to purchase first like Adolf and Black Jack and finishing up Monster. I also have quite a bit of series I'm still continuing like Kurosagi Corpse Delivery, Nightmare Inspector, xxxholic and Fruits Basket - though I'm still collecting Kindaichi (have all 17 volumes so far), it appears to be on a permanent hiatus...
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm also hoping that Fumi Yoshinaga's Flower of Life vol 4 and Ooku finally get released here in the summer.

I almost forgot about that! Is Flower of Life 4 still scheduled for May? *checks* 05/20.
_NightShade_

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
Pluto and 20th Century Boys as already mentioned. Also a drifting life by Yoshihiro Tatsumi.

And a future release: A distant neighborhood by Jiro Taniguchi.
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
I totally forgot to mention Asano Inio's What a Wonderful World English translation will be release later this year - I adored Solanin and really wanted his other works to be licensed in English. Supposedly Ghost Hunt volume 10 is going to be released in August - hopefully it does because it's been a long long time since volume 9 and I really like this series.

I think for Flower of Life the release is going to be in June in Canada. Too bad there seems to be no mention of licensing What did You Eat Yesterday? one shot manga by Yoshinaga.
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Definitely excited about Zetsubou Sensei, the first volume was really well translated, and there's also the fourth volume of Shana finally comming out this month. It's funny I love the manga but I can't stand the Shana anime, go figure. As for completely cliche shonen series Black Cat was a fun little series as stereotypical as it was and I have a feeling the final volumes of Shaman King will also be out this year which makes me happy. I got pulled in by the nostalgia factor on that one, it being one of the first anime I ever really enjoyed. Also heard rumors that Kuroshitsuji will be making it's way over here soon, but I don't have any confirmation on that. Regardless it's something to look forward to. I'm one of those people who likes reading the manga rather than watching the show just because I like books and reading better than watching, so anything that comes out with good art and is a faithful adaptation of the series I'll snap up. Especially if it's one of those series that gets talked about a lot then I feel compelled to atleast check it out.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
OK, you guys are free to try this topic again with a new thread, but when you do, do NOT just list titles without any descriptions or explanations (4nBlue, Mr Adventure) and NEVER link to scanlation sites. You're free to talk about manga not available in the U.S. yet, but no linking to sites for free reading/downloading.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1