• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Fairy Florence

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicomorr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
@zac - The Death Star Cocktail Lounge must have very good all-night facilities! What - it's around 3am in Canada? Twisted Evil
Now that's Jazz, NM
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
Even Fantasia ran up against the well established bias, even back then, that "cartoons are only for kids" and therefore never had a chance. So what chance did a foreign film like Fairy Florence have to buck that bias?
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's the sort of film that, given how expensive they are to produce and how horribly they tend to perform at the box office, I just can't see being made in this day and age, in any country. I think that's a pity.

I feel the same but unfortunately mass consumerism doesn't favor art......

Might need to look out for this one.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
Great that the real serious students crawl out of their pens for Justins digs; any chance of adding annotated video excerpts to Buried Treasure? Did you think of it & there are copyright problems?

Yeah, that would never happen. Aside from the myriad legal problems, most of the shows I like are for thematic reasons, and that's hard to convey with just clips. (Besides, as a guy who does web video, I can say that doing this is a gigantic pain the ass.)

Quote:
Would be good to have a kind of lectures on "and this section is a one, see the diff ...... etc etc. Do some teaching Justin, you seem to be jolly good at it.

ROFL

I have always harbored a secret fantasy to teach, but honestly I do NOT have the personality for it. AT ALL.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
(Besides, as a guy who does web video, I can say that doing this is a gigantic pain the ass.)
One for his next PDP, aye Zac? Laughing

Quote:
Quote:
Would be good to have a kind of lectures on "and this section is a one, see the diff ...... etc etc. Do some teaching Justin, you seem to be jolly good at it.

ROFL

I have always harbored a secret fantasy to teach, but honestly I do NOT have the personality for it. AT ALL.
A teacher has to have high patience, tolerance, and be easy to forgive these days, otherwise one might end up sacked, or in court, or both.
everapril

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It fits in there with films like The Thief and the Cobbler, family friendly avant-garde spectaculars that are more for the mothers in the audience, rapt with attention as their children fidget.

Hm, I would say that big-budget family films in the last decade or so have all but put aside the art and whimsy in favor of appealing more to the parents and adult reviewers in the audience (e.g. Shrek, The Incredibles, Cars). These movies have always been there (Brave Little Toaster? Rover Dangerfield?) But now they are produced at the exclusion of more adventurous faire. It's hard to remember (even for me, and I am not that old,) but children don't need a watertight plot or pandering observations of current events - pretty colors and simple melodrama will hold them absolutely rapt, hence why the genre of animation has become so synonomous with children's entertainment!

Outside of typical Disney faire (and some Don Bluth,) my favorite films growing up were mostly of the Fairy Florence variety, loved Little Nemo, Totoro, Twice Upon a Time (does anyone else remember this one?), The Last Unicorn. Heck, there was a period in my childhood when I watched Puff the Magic Dragon everyday. I can't imagine a parent (or the adult me) appreciating the surrealism of Puff the Magic Dragon on that level.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
everapril wrote:
Rover Dangerfield

For the record, I don't think that film appealed to anybody.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I picked up the "Just for Kids" release VHS tape a while back but I've forgotten where I got it. I think it was at a second hand store. (I know I paid very little for it.) The audio dub is a little off though since it's only on one track while the music is on both. The only way to sanely watch it is in mono, which is a shame because of the classical music.

I don't think The Thief and the Cobbler would have been anything more than what it turned out to be. There were some great bits of animation but the overall storyline was poorly developed. Some things seemed to be animated just for the sake of animating them. And I get the impression the thief was originally meant to be a silent character.

And although there's the "restored" version, there's a lot of people re-editing old material. Someday, someone might go back and rework it into something great, including some new animation where needed.

As for Rover Dangerfield, that movie was a mistake, sort of like the animated Robocop TV series. Dangerfield's material was too adult for kids, yet much of the animation at that time was treated as kiddie fare. Although, at the time he seemed to be in just about everything. It's still worth a watch for animation fans, and the story is more appealing than one might expect, but one shouldn't expect much from it.
Warrick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
everapril wrote:
Twice Upon a Time (does anyone else remember this one?)

I remember that George Lucas was one of the Executive Producers.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
I
I don't think The Thief and the Cobbler would have been anything more than what it turned out to be. There were some great bits of animation but the overall storyline was poorly developed. Some things seemed to be animated just for the sake of animating them. And I get the impression the thief was originally meant to be a silent character.

And although there's the "restored" version, there's a lot of people re-editing old material. Someday, someone might go back and rework it into something great, including some new animation where needed.

Uh.. yeah, you should probably see the restored version. The story is no great shakes either way but there are also no awful songs, and all the cheap animation Miramax dropped in to "finish" the film is gone, so there's that.

And yeah, the thief is silent.
tubesoda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for spreading the word about this and other classic Sanrio Studio anime, many of which are much better than most people would assume. I think Fairy Florence is the most visually spectacular of all their films, although the story does lapse into cheesiness. In terms of production values and "pencil mileage," it stands right up there with movies like Akira and Spirited Away, so it seems rather odd that it ended up as something that's nearly unknown even to devoted anime fans.

Comparing it to Fantasia is certainly justified. You may know that Shintaro Tsuji, the founder of Sanrio, essentially idolized Walt Disney and was obsessed with Fantasia ever since he saw it as a child. His obsession comes through pretty clearly in most of the films he produced or wrote (such as Metamorphoses/Winds of Change, Legend of Sirius, Nutcracker Fantasy), but Fairy Florence was the culmination of this obsession. It was also pretty much the end of his dream of running a Disney-like animation studio. He knew very well that Fairy Florence would be the last Sanrio Studio feature, so he decided to pour a lot of money into it and go out with a bang. Turns out that selling stationery with cute iconic characters is much more profitable than producing expensive animation.

I want to clarify that most of this movie was animated on twos (meaning a single drawing takes up two frames of 24 fps film), and only sometimes animated on ones. Animating on twos is generally considered "full animation" in Western animation. Most of the classic Disney films, Warner Bros shorts, etc, were animated on twos and only occasionally on ones for fast action scenes for example. Animating on twos is rare in Japanese animation, which is mostly animated on threes or fours (sometimes even sixes). Even a big budget film like Howl's Moving Castle was animated mostly on threes, but sometimes on twos or ones for fast motion scenes. The only hand drawn animated feature film I can think of that was animated (almost) entirely on ones is Thief and the Cobbler, which others have mentioned.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

And yeah, the thief is silent.

I was kind of amused when I first learned more about the movie and found out that this was the original creator's intent for that character, since the thief's mutterings were one of the few amusing things that stuck with me from that movie. Part of me wants to go back and see the film again, now that I'm much older and understand the backstory behind it, to see if I can get a better appreciation for what the original intent was.

(Well, the thief's mumblings and the line, "THE BAAAAAALLLLLLLLSSSS ARE GONE!!!" If that didn't become a meme, it should have. Razz)
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
tubesoda wrote:
I want to clarify that most of this movie was animated on twos (meaning a single drawing takes up two frames of 24 fps film), and only sometimes animated on ones. Animating on twos is generally considered "full animation" in Western animation. Animating on twos is rare in Japanese animation, which is mostly animated on threes or fours (sometimes even sixes). Even a big budget film like Howl's Moving Castle was animated mostly on threes, but sometimes on twos or ones for fast motion scenes.

Are you sure? I hope you're watching in 24 fps instead of 30 fps.
I remember watching OVA "Portrait de Petit Cossette", there was scene where the main character kneels down in ones. Ending animation for "Dunbine" has running sequence animated in ones. "Princess Mononoke" has ladder climbing sequence done in ones. I think you got term "full animation" all wrong. It's not about how smooth animation moves, but it's about every part of the body moves along when character moves. Example would be when character talks, the jaw moves along with head and hand gestures.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Worse than Warner Bros., they might have actually cared about the final result. No, Thief and the Cobbler was taken over by the INSURANCE company and finished in Korea by a lowest-bidder, then sold to Disney (who started the Aladdin project to scotch the earth before Thief and the Cobbler could come out), redubbed and recut further. Basically, a classic worst-case scenario for any would-be auteur. (That said, the fan-assembled "director's cut" is really overlong and directionless... Stunning visually, but not a great film.)

At the end of the day, that's all it is.

Quote:
I'm not sure the ENTIRE film is on ones, but a good deal of it is. Benjamin Ettinger's site has an article on the studio from around 1979 where they proudly declare, "ONLY Sanrio does FULL animation!"

Whatever floated Tsuji's boat at the time just did. Too bad we don't have current DVD releases of these efforts for the moment. Apart from the film mentioned here and a few others, there was also several US-involved efforts like "The Mouse & His Child (animated at Murakami-Wolf Productions) and "Metamorphosis" (an even bigger bomb that was solely animated at a studio Sanrio set up in Pebble Beach, CA).

Cloe wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Benjamin Ettinger's site has an article on the studio from around 1979 where they proudly declare, "ONLY Sanrio does FULL animation!"

Link? AniPages' search engine isn't giving me the results I want.

I have to say, while the phrase "Sanrio animation" brings to mind dated images of fuzzy VHS tapes with bad tracking, their work really is generally beautifully animated. Unico 2 has one of my all-time favorite animated scenes in it. And now that you brought up the animated-on-ones thing, I have to go back and see if it's the same case with the scene I'm thinking of.

Those two Unico films were co-produced with Madhouse studios I believe.

Cloe wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Benjamin Ettinger's site has an article on the studio from around 1979 where they proudly declare, "ONLY Sanrio does FULL animation!"

Link? AniPages' search engine isn't giving me the results I want.

nicomorr wrote:
Lupin the Third wrote:
.... "Panda and the Magic Serpent?" ..... Picked it up at Wal-Mart for $1 a couple years ago .....
You didn't already do that one, did you?

Seconded. We only have ADSA (owned by Wal-Mart) which would certainly not stock ancient Anime.

In the US, films like "Panda/Magic Serpent" are the product of exploitation via cheap DVD video companies in an attempt at making whatever money out of mass-marketing such $1 impulsive items available anywhere due to the so-called "Public Domain" status a film might have (being un-copyrighted), too often some of Toei's features like this, "Gulliver's Travels Beyond The Moon" and "The World of Hans Christian Andersen" have fallen victim to such releases due to careless interest in renewing such rights or bothering to keep anything attached to them in the hopes of putting together a far better release these films deserve badly.

I have to say, while the phrase "Sanrio animation" brings to mind dated images of fuzzy VHS tapes with bad tracking, their work really is generally beautifully animated. Unico 2 has one of my all-time favorite animated scenes in it. And now that you brought up the animated-on-ones thing, I have to go back and see if it's the same case with the scene I'm thinking of.

Those two Unico films were co-produced with Madhouse studios I believe.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Even Fantasia ran up against the well established bias, even back then, that "cartoons are only for kids" and therefore never had a chance. So what chance did a foreign film like Fairy Florence have to buck that bias?

I thought the "Ca4K' mentality didn't really start until the advent of television?

reanimator wrote:
tubesoda wrote:
I want to clarify that most of this movie was animated on twos (meaning a single drawing takes up two frames of 24 fps film), and only sometimes animated on ones. Animating on twos is generally considered "full animation" in Western animation. Animating on twos is rare in Japanese animation, which is mostly animated on threes or fours (sometimes even sixes). Even a big budget film like Howl's Moving Castle was animated mostly on threes, but sometimes on twos or ones for fast motion scenes.

Are you sure? I hope you're watching in 24 fps instead of 30 fps.
I remember watching OVA "Portrait de Petit Cossette", there was scene where the main character kneels down in ones. Ending animation for "Dunbine" has running sequence animated in ones. "Princess Mononoke" has ladder climbing sequence done in ones. I think you got term "full animation" all wrong. It's not about how smooth animation moves, but it's about every part of the body moves along when character moves. Example would be when character talks, the jaw moves along with head and hand gestures.

24fps would be the case since that's often the same as the regular film format anyway, unless newer digital works have often stretched it further to 30 to coincide with NTSC levels.

And no, what you stated isn't always true (that's more limited animation right there).

There, forgot to add it all in one lump sum!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2