• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dubbing Companies making own shows

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Dubbing companies like Geneon and ADV have been dubbing anime for years, and very well. By now, they probably understand more about anime than any other company that tries to dub anime because they think they're just cartoons (4kids, for example) by talking to the Japanese creators and going to anime conventions and stuff. Hypothetically, if the good dubbing companies start trying to make their own cartoons that are anime influenced, will they be much better than the anime-influenced cartoons, that are made by companies like WB (teen titans) who probably don't understand as much about anime than ADV and Geneon?
Rozzer

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Do these dubbing companies have art departments and animation studios to make their own anime? If they have the means to do so, and they want to try something new, it would be an interesting turn of events Anime smile
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:45 pm Reply with quote
The answer is yes and no. Just go watch SIN from ADV, they're first attempt at making their own anime. The results were down right horrible. On the flip side you've got Urban Vision's Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

Rozzer wrote:
Do these dubbing companies have art departments and animation studios to make their own anime? If they have the means to do so, and they want to try something new, it would be an interesting turn of events Anime smile

They don't actually need their own studio as long as they can get a hold of a japanese studio to do the work for them like american cartoons have been doing for decades now.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:07 pm Reply with quote
ADV is helping produce the anime version of the manga Tactics, a personal fave of mine. The only way they could mess up that anime is to... not follow the manga.

So far I don't like the "in house" anime ideas ADV has come up with. I think that's SIN, and that Death lady thing. Those were just not my thing, but I have no problem with them finding manga and helping produce that. That seems to be what Genon is doing now too because of stuff like Tenjou Tenge.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Then technically, they're not making their own anime, in the sense they don't get their hands dirty making it. If they just come up with a nice storyline, characters and all the elements to make their own series/movie, and have Japan make it... Well that just seems stupid to me Confused
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:33 pm Reply with quote
You're seriously mistaken if you think these 'dubbing companies' like Geneon and ADV have any sort of creative input in to shows they produce. They know better than that. Shows like Tenjou Tenge and Tactics have ADV and Geneon in the production credits because those corporations bankrolled the show's production; beyond that they have no involvement. It's like pre-purchasing license rights to something.

ADV 'made' Tactics like Disney 'made' Finding Nemo. Think about it that way.

-Z
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
You're seriously mistaken if you think these 'dubbing companies' like Geneon and ADV have any sort of creative input in to shows they produce. They know better than that. Shows like Tenjou Tenge and Tactics have ADV and Geneon in the production credits because those corporations bankrolled the show's production; beyond that they have no involvement. It's like pre-purchasing license rights to something.

ADV 'made' Tactics like Disney 'made' Finding Nemo. Think about it that way.

-Z

I said "helping produce", sorry I didn't make it more clear that it was financially. I'm well aware that they aren't really involved in the creative process, but since they are producing it, like any company investing money into something, they can request that something be done with the show.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:05 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I said "helping produce", sorry I didn't make it more clear that it was financially. I'm well aware that they aren't really involved in the creative process, but since they are producing it, like any company investing money into something, they can request that something be done with the show.

Realistically, the terms of the production contract probably dictate that the show is under the sole creative supervision of the series' director and the property's original creator. The Japanese are HEAVILY reliant on creator rights in all forms of licensing and, nine times out of ten, if a film or a show is being made, the mangaka or original creator has the final say-so in any changes being made to his or her work. I wouldn't presume that ADV has any creative say whatsoever in any of the shows they've paid to produce.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1