• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Debuts on Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrettyCranium

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
I'm having trouble with the Funimation video player. If I try to put the episode in full screen, the picture freezes but the audio keeps going. Can anyone help?
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
My suggestion if you're having problems with the player is to make sure you have the current version of Flash player and Shockwave. I was able to watch the episode last night and the only real problem I had it is took me four hours to get it to fully load up [I started it, hit pause, came back two and half hours later, watched what I had (about a two thirds of it loaded), then had to leave it (put it back on pause) for another two hours to get it to finish up loading so I could watch the rest of it.]
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Definitely check the flash player. When I started it Flash player showed up by my start button and immediately went away, which has never happened when I stream, so I'd check that. Perhaps it was simply due to high traffic, but I also had to wait for it to buffer a few times. Granted it was only a total of a few minutes, but people shouldn't be surprised if it takes a bit of time. Oh well, not biggy. I'm glad I could check this out is such a manner, even if I do think this new series is unnecessary.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
clicq wrote:
I think funimation isn't offering HD downloads because, well, a lot of people wouldn't buy the DVDs whenever they do come out if they already had a high quality version on their hard drives (not saying everybody is like this but a lot of people are).

And I assume the funimation stream is going to be limited to the US only as well... I think it's more because they don't have the license for the show outside the US.

And I'm actually pretty impressed with Crunchyroll -- I used to be a hater, but then I tried it, and the 720p streams are surprisingly good. Yes, you do have to pay a membership fee, but it's cheaper than Netflix, and yes, it's mostly US only, but again, I think it's because Crunchyroll only has the US license... and as for "rubbish" anime, I thought Hayate, Shangri-la, and Skip Beat were pretty decent...

Same with me.Although i'm a dub only person,& i also was a CR hater too,i'm preety impressed that CR is finally legit for the sub users unlike veoh.com & myspacevideos.com which has illegal content. Hopefully they'll get the message before they get driven out of business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Saiki_Thorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I am having problems trying to watch the episode. I downloaded the newest version of the Flash and Shockwave Players and it still does not wanna work. I hope I can get it to work eventually because I really wanna see the episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
It took 2 hours to load on my end but it was worth it. This was a spectacular episode from beginning to end. The production values shone like a summer blockbuster movie! I loved it and can't wait for more! And this is coming from someone who only watched the first series dubbed! Smile

And I recognize the eyecatch announcer as the same announcer from Street Fighter IV! Laughing
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
[quote=“KabaKabaFruit”]It took 2 hours to load on my end but it was worth it. This was a spectacular episode from beginning to end. The production values shone like a summer blockbuster movie! I loved it and can’t wait for more! And this is coming from someone who only watched the first series dubbed! Smile

And I recognize the eyecatch announcer as the same announcer from Street Fighter IV! Laughing[/quote]

Wait, that last bit, was that a joke or not? *blink* I also only saw the first series dubbed. Although the animation for this episode was a little weird at times.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
Well, I've seen this episode a few times now, heh. It's pretty good, although a few things concern me, and a few things I'm just struggling to get used to, like the new soundtrack, which is very nice, but it's just so jarring when they flash back to that familiar scene where they commit the taboo and I expect to hear a certain song, and a completely different one plays, heh. I'll get used to it eventually, no doubt. That song playing towards the end was especially nice.

Gotta get used to the voices, too, since I watched the dub of the 1st series. Had I watched the subs back then, I'd probably feel differently, but to me, Ed sounds like a girl pretending to be a guy, and Al just sounds like a girl. I'll probably have to get used to that sound for Al, though, unless they bring Aaron back and digitally alter his voice, or something, heh.

Stuff that concerned me - the cartooniness, as I had predicted it. But it's not just the animation style, it was also a bunch of little things they included, cutesy little word bubbles and arrows and whatnot. I'm probably overreacting, I just hope we don't see so much of it throughout the series, as it doesn't seem to fit, imo.

They also revealed a fair amount in this episode - nothing the casual or even basic fan didn't already know, but I think they could've given it a bit more emphasis, perhaps for new viewers. I would've enjoyed it more that way, even. I can see why they put all of that info in this episode, though, rather than revealing it the same way as last time - changing things up and keeping it all noticably different is very important here. I still think they could've got a bit more bang for their buck with some things, though.

And the way the whole episode was set up was rather like a super-condensed movie. And while it was nice to get some new material, it also makes me feel like the new series hasn't truly started yet(meaning I can't really start judging it properly yet, either, heh). All that said, the new material was quite enjoyable. It seems Isaac spoiler[might have known a little too much! What I'm wondering is whether he could've possibly posed an actual threat to Father, what with his eyes flashing like that. And if that's the case, well, maybe it wasn't too bright of Ed and Al to stop him!] That'll be an interesting revelation for them, if it occurs, heh.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:52 am Reply with quote
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:
Well, I've seen this episode a few times now, heh. It's pretty good, although a few things concern me, and a few things I'm just struggling to get used to, like the new soundtrack, which is very nice, but it's just so jarring when they flash back to that familiar scene where they commit the taboo and I expect to hear a certain song, and a completely different one plays, heh. I'll get used to it eventually, no doubt. That song playing towards the end was especially nice.

Gotta get used to the voices, too, since I watched the dub of the 1st series. Had I watched the subs back then, I'd probably feel differently, but to me, Ed sounds like a girl pretending to be a guy, and Al just sounds like a girl. I'll probably have to get used to that sound for Al, though, unless they bring Aaron back and digitally alter his voice, or something, heh.

Stuff that concerned me - the cartooniness, as I had predicted it. But it's not just the animation style, it was also a bunch of little things they included, cutesy little word bubbles and arrows and whatnot. I'm probably overreacting, I just hope we don't see so much of it throughout the series, as it doesn't seem to fit, imo.

They also revealed a fair amount in this episode - nothing the casual or even basic fan didn't already know, but I think they could've given it a bit more emphasis, perhaps for new viewers. I would've enjoyed it more that way, even. I can see why they put all of that info in this episode, though, rather than revealing it the same way as last time - changing things up and keeping it all noticably different is very important here. I still think they could've got a bit more bang for their buck with some things, though.

And the way the whole episode was set up was rather like a super-condensed movie. And while it was nice to get some new material, it also makes me feel like the new series hasn't truly started yet(meaning I can't really start judging it properly yet, either, heh). All that said, the new material was quite enjoyable. It seems Isaac spoiler[might have known a little too much! What I'm wondering is whether he could've possibly posed an actual threat to Father, what with his eyes flashing like that. And if that's the case, well, maybe it wasn't too bright of Ed and Al to stop him!] That'll be an interesting revelation for them, if it occurs, heh.

Looking at your spoiler; I also had that same sort of feeling. I bet when Ed finds out he'll have a little flashback about it or something.

I was also worried about the lack of explanation because I feel that the workings of alchemy wern't really explained at all and that if I was a new viewer I'd probably be a bit confused. I know they're trying something different here but they should have at least mentioned something about equivilant exchange.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:42 am Reply with quote
As an introduction to FMA, the first episode of the new series definitely falls short. It absolutely sucks when it comes to explaining anything. The just don't. It's definitely an episode made with the idea that the people watching it already know what FMA is all about. Best case, as a new viewer, you would think that what's going on is really cool and would stick around for them to explain it in the next episode. As an introductory episode, it can't even come close to comparing with the first episode of the previous series.

However, if you watch it with the idea that it's a fanservice episode for people who are already familiar with FMA, then it's a decent episode. On most comparisons with the previous series, I think that it definitely falls short. The music isn't as good. The character designs aren't as clean and don't look as good. The comedic aspects are too heavy and too manga-like. etc. etc. However, it obviously still has yet to get into the thick of things and it has plenty of time to improve. The overall plot itself should be quite good since it's supposed to follow the manga fairly closely, so this anime still has huge potential. But still, the first episode, at least, is inferior and somewhat disappointing. Let's hope that the series definitely improves in all the areas that it's currently weak in.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Have to agree with you, Kalessin - that's basically all of what I was trying to say, just more concise, haha. I think the new music will grow on me, though, it's certainly not bad, I'm just not used to it yet. No matter how good it was, I doubt anybody who watched the 1st series would say it's better than Michiru Oshima's score after just 1 episode, unless they're crazy, and really hated the old soundtrack, heh.

I agree that the comedic aspects were definitely overdone - I think that comes from it being formatted like a super-condensed movie, although I don't know whether that was intentional or not. It was like, "Ok, here's the comedic part of the episode!" [insert Ed spazzing about people calling him short, ad nauseum] Same thing with the more serious themes - they were made a little too obvious, for my taste. Like that scene where Hughes couldn't sleep. Care to spell it out a little more blatantly for us?

Like you said, as a fanservice episode for us old FMA-fanatics, it can be fun at points, but as a serious introductory episode, they really just tried to do too much with it. It's still got a long road full of ridiculous amounts of potential in front of it, though, so that's reassuring. It just kinda sucks that they gave so much away up front, with so little consequence.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
amarielah

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Watched an HD fansub first, since they come out earlier than the official subs. I'm watching both, though, I'm a big enough fan I don't mind. xD

Anyway, fantastic episode. Between the epic new soundtrack (especially near the end!) to the conflict in general, holy crap. Way, way better than the last series right from the get go.

I felt just the opposite. I felt like the first episode of the first anime had a great deal more emotional impact, and made me care about the characters and their struggle. Then again, I also prefer the first anime to the manga, so I guess it comes down to the vast difference in tone between the two.

I'm already missing the sentimentality of the first series, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6