• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mandalay Pictures Licenses Full Metal Panic! Film Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arx7arbalest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I just simply avoid this movie like I will with Dragonball Evolution. Full Metal Panic is my all time favorite anime(If you couldn't tell from my name). The problem with Zac Efron being casted is that Souske is supposed to be someone who faces socially akward situations in the high school environment. Now you want to cast him by a person who has played big man on campus Troy Bolton? Souske's look is far too rough to be played by Zac Efron.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
ok, everyone here (who is 17 or older) go rent Wild Things so me and enurtsol arent the only two to have seen it lol
Richard J. wrote:
Also, I have seen Wild Things. I've always liked Neve Campbell. Definately not much more than a guilty pleasure type of movie but it is a fun one. (Hey, that movie even has a bit of a "nice boat" element at the end.)

See, it's these kinds of movies like Cruel Intentions** that even has pseudo-incest which anime fans like but won't watch in live-action, only in 2D anime. Laughing

[** In the original script, the scene where Sebastian and Annette meet at the pool there is a reference to Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. When Sebastian asks Annette what she is reading she replies, "The Fountainhead." And when Sebastian compliments the book, she is surprised he knew the novel. Sebastian goes on to say, "I think the scene where Howard Roark makes love to Dominique Francon is the most romantic work in all literature." Annette replies, "Romantic? He rapes her." And Sebastian finishes with, "That's a matter of opinion." --Totally anime. Laughing ]

Richard J. wrote:

@ OnanRulz: I've never seen Watchmen or read the graphic novel. However, I can say that the biggest reason it hasn't done as well as some movies in the same genre is it lacks the widespread appeal of something like Iron Man, the early marketing did nothing to really explain the movie or introduce the characters and while it may be fairly faithful to the source material, at the end of the day it was never going to be a huge blockbuster because it's not a "mainstream" story. It likely will end up making profit but just not as much as something like Iron Man.

Box Office Mojo: March was off a whopping 16 percent from February... Watchmen was the top-grossing picture of March at $103.8 million, paling compared to the leaders of March 2008 (Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who! at $118.8 million) and 2007 (300 at $176.5 million). The fate of March was largely pinned on Watchmen, which was always going to be a tough sell based on its non-mainstream source material, diffuse storyline, lack of heroes and other factors. Expectations were so unrealistically high that it was the sole new nationwide release for the first weekend of the month, and overall business suffered from that dearth of counter-programming.

Expectations, that's what's it's all about. Neutral
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
I don't care about all this actor drama, I'm sure he's fine at what he does. What I'm concerned about is why Full Metal Panic? It's not exactly a huge smashing success of a show that's a common household name as far as anime is concerned. I'm mostly worried about what do they do with the mecha?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't care about all this actor drama, I'm sure he's fine at what he does. What I'm concerned about is why Full Metal Panic? It's not exactly a huge smashing success of a show that's a common household name as far as anime is concerned. I'm mostly worried about what do they do with the mecha?

Rewrite it, rewrite the names and places, rewrite the title, "based on the original story." Wink

Heck c'mon! Many people think Dark Angel was an adaptation of Battle Angel! Laughing
David.Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Rewrite it, rewrite the names and places, rewrite the title, "based on the original story." Wink

That's exactly what I was thinking. Live action adaptations such as Full Metal Panic and Death Note could easily be re-written to fit in America. And others like Cowboy Bebop wouldn't need much of the plot and settings changed. Its movies like Ninja Scroll and Blood the Last Vampire which I feel should be set in Japan, or at least be kept as close to the source material as possible. Akira and ADV's ever elusive live action Evangelion could go either way (although I'd love for them to be set in Japan with a Japanese cast. But I already know that's not happening with Akira. neo-manhattan?! Oh well Crying or Very sad )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mappy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:30 am Reply with quote
My soul dies a little more each time one of these live-action movie announcements are made.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Oh brother, the usual idiotic response: "They're making a movie of xx anime? And so and so actor is in it? OMG, he's gonna ruin it, Hollywood destroys everything!"

You know, this may be people's underlying thinking but it's a little difficult to criticize it when there's a fairly reasonable reason to think this will likely suck anyway.

Quote:
It's one of those anime that could very very easily be made into a Hollywood movie. It's not much of a stretch to have it take place in America (just change the names a bit), and there's been at least one successful movie with robots (Transformers) and there's a plethora of high school comedies...so yea, it's not that crazy an idea.

Yeah, it really really is. Time to go all point form on yo ass:
-Transformers sucked...a lot.
-Transformers is a bit different from a series about piloted mecha.
-To produce a movie with a lot of robots is really expensive and I doubt this will get nearly the budget.
-FMP is hardly a traditional high school comedy.
-Much of FMPs humor is the kind of over exaggerated slapstick that doesn't really work in live action.
-It's not even the 'hit in the balls' slapstick that is mildly popular. It's the old school slapstick that doesn't really go over great these days.
-Much of FMPs humor is derived from Souske bringing guns to school or setting off explosions at school or similar stuff that wouldn't exactly fly in light of recent events.
-Zac Efron doesn't seem nearly tough looking enough to play any kind of action role let alone a soldier.
-I find it tough to picture him as the serious, clueless, somewhat bumbling character that is key to a huge chunk of FMP's jokes and Souske and Kaname's whole relationship.
-Many of FMP's jokes are based on fanservice or other risque stuff. Is disney boy going to act in that kind of movie? I'm skeptical.
-Bottom line: The style of humor, mecha and action all don't work in live action. The actor isn't appropriate for the role. This is a terrible idea.

Quote:
Besides...this is Full Metal Panic. Who do you honestly think would be in it? If this was made in Japan you know they would just use some guys from a boy band, so that wouldn't be much better.

So a Japanese live action adaptation would suck an equal or greater amount of ass. I for one don't dispute that.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:00 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I didn't cover it much in my first post, but I do have hopes this movie could be good. I'd love for it to be good. What worries me is that, along with the announcement of the rights aquisition, they also mention that a teeny-bopper star is "reportedly discussing the project." Why everyone is assuming he's going for the main role, or even wants the main role, well...

I want to know why they couldn't have just said, "Oh, hey, we have the rights," and maybe somewhere down the road, add his name to it. By doing this the way they did, it just makes it all too obvious that they're trying for a money grab, anime fans and Disney fans, and the quality of any movie coming out of this situation is likely to suffer because of it.
If they were actually making the movie for the sake of adapting the work, I don't feel they'd have needed to throw Efron's name at the announcement to try and garner more attention.

All that being said, alike with the DB movie and the CB movie, I will await some kind of footage, trailer, promo pics, what have you, before I start leaning one way or the other on this. I just pray that this stays faithful to the original story, since that wouldn't be as hard to do as with Dragonball. x.x
mattteoh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:28 am Reply with quote
Oh no!! Its gonna become Fail Metal Panic!
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am Reply with quote
No. Just No.

This is a bad idea. Even before you put Zac Effron into the equation.

Then again, so is adapting any anime into a movie.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:53 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Rewrite it, rewrite the names and places, rewrite the title, "based on the original story."

I'd be all in favour of this method. The studio in question get the storyline, the ability to adjust it for a general audience and the golden "based on..." tagline, whilst us opinionated fans are spared our rage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
Wait... what? I can't imagine Zac Effron pulling off Sousuke-kun without completely changing the character.
tarinai-da

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
Has got to hate Hollywood! They are gonna destroy another good Anime! Dragonball, Street Fighter, Evangelion, this time, Full Metal Panic! Why can't they understand they just can't produce decent Anime live movies?

At the very least, they could have used Asians not ang mohs (caucasians) ?! Crap. If they have the budget, make more Ironman movies! ( Ironman banzai!)

They should have known by now, which anime live movie they make is a commercial success? Spoilts my day.. Evil or Very Mad
nagato316

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:

ok, so every site I've been to so far thats reported about the live action FMP, they never say that Zac Efron has been officially cast. Its more of speculation and what not. It could turn out to be true, but lets wait until its official. Although if Zac does get the part, then Shia Leboof needs to play Kurz, Miley Cyrus as Tessa, Amanda Bynes as Melissa, and top it off with jamie lynn spears as Kaname.... ok i just threw up a little.

You're not the only one to lose lunch over the aforementioned, believe me. As long as you were casting, I'm surprised you didn't go for the obvious HSM-centric stunt-casting of Vanessa Hudgens as Kaname--no no don't hurt me! I kid! But since even jesting about casting speculations might be tempting fate too much, I'll just stop right here.
babbo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

Now, I'm not saying this is going to suck, but the chances are high. Everyone is saying, "Oh, change the setting, change the names", but the whole concept of the story and dynamic between the main characters comes from the culture shock. It wouldn't work if you make everyone American. And you can't really leave out the mecha without changing all the major fight scenes, and if you do, you may as well leave out all the fight scenes and make this an adaptation of the Fumoffu material. And with Zac Efron in it, hell... make it a musical. Then it'll be sure to fail.

Because an Afghan who's spent a decent chunk of his life in an international mercenary group couldn't possibly experience culture shock in America ;D

Anyways, the culture shock is more of a result the difference between civilian and military life too the extreme; the setting really isn't all that important. And the fumofu material was the best part of FMP. The fight scenes aren't really a good selling point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10