• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Finished!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Round 1 Group B is now closed.

Like with Group A, a few interesting matches that are likely to be nail-biters will be found here.

Unlike with Group A, Group B introduces the new format for Guide entries. Instead of the cumulative Guide for each Group and separate picture links, as has been the case in the past couple of tournaments, the new Guide has been broken up to one separate page per character, with each page including both the character's pic and write-up. (Video links may be added to these Guide entries as the tournament progresses.) These pages are accessible via the link on the character's name. These took a lot of work to put together (and thanks to those who contributed Guide entries, too), so be grateful for them!

And now onto business:

Group B-1
Yajima Kintaro, Salaryman Kintaro
vs.
Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

Winner: Ed
Total: 26-6

Group B-2
Natsume Takashi, Natsume Yūjin-Chō
vs.
Tsukushi Makino, Boys over Flowers

Winner: Natsume
Total: 23-9

Group B-3
Fakir, Princess Tutu
vs.
Eikichi Onizuka , Great Teacher Onizuka

Winner: Onizuka
Total: 22-10

Group B-4
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto (aka Jinto Linn), Crest/Banner of the Stars
vs.
Nicholas Wolfwood, Trigun

Winner: Wolfwood
Total: 21-11

Group B-5
Samatarou Kamiyama, Kamisama Kazoku
vs.
Astro Boy, Astro Boy (Note: link is for original 1963 version)

Winner: Astro Boy

Group B-6
Touma Kamijo, A Certain Magical Index (aka To Aru Majutsu no Index)
vs.
Soichiro Yagami, Death Note

Winner: Touma
Total: 25-7

Group B-7
Balsa, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit
vs.
Jessica Edwards, Legend of the Galactic Hero

Winner: Balsa
Total: 27-5

Group B-8
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto
vs.
Christmas, Kurau Phantom Memory

Winner: Naruto
Total: 21-11

Group B-9
Iria, Iria - Zeiram The Animation
vs.
Kurenai Shinkurou, Kurenai

Winner: Kurenai

Group B-10
Shurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku
vs.
Saito Hiraga, The Familiar of Zero

Winner: Shurei
Total: 18-14

Group B-11
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster
vs.
Juliet Capulet, Romeo x Juliet

Winner: Noriko
Total: 19-13

Group B-12
Claus Valca, Last Exile
vs.
Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena

Winner: Utena

Group B-13
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.
Tohru Honda, Fruits Basket

Tie
Total: 16-16

Group B-14
Taichi Keaton, Master Keaton
vs.
Kazuma, s-CRY-ed

Winner: Keaton
Total: 23-9

Group B-15
Shannon Casull, Scrapped Princess
vs.
Keiichi Maebara, When They Cry

Tie
Total: 16-16

Group B-16
Vash the Stampede, Trigun
vs.
Sousuke Sagara, Full Metal Panic! franchise

Winner: Vash stampedes on! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Last edited by Key on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, this will be the only week when I actually vote by 1am, it won't happen again for another 7 weeks or so.

B-1: Ed Elric
more familiar with FMA

B-2: Tatsuki Makino
guide

B-3: Fakir
Only match where I'm overly familiar with both series! I'm going for Fakir for 1) being a bigger Princess Tutu fanboy and 2) Fakir is too good to go out with no votes.
I still think Onizuka will win this and I won't be sad about it, but man, I adore Princess Tutu.

B-4: Wolfwood
guide

B-5: Astro Boy
I'd put him in my final 4 personally, he's a classic hero mold and a very good one at that, I definatly think he should go through this round at the very least. I don't think most of the other heroes here would even be here without his influence. And he has enough heroism for three TV series, THREE! I'm just always impressed with how he takes the high road out of situations no matter how hard it is to do so.

B-6:Touma Kamijo
Soichiro Yagami had his heart in the right place, but was rather blind about the whole thing at the same time. Thus, vote against him more.

B-7: Jessica Edwards
spoiler[Tiananmen Sqaure maneuver. Challenge the gun for your beliefs and you lose, but standing up to the gun toting men several times made an impression on me. Clearly this isn't a series afraid to kill characters, but I think that she went out very well/]

B-8: Christmas
She tried to do stuff even before she spoiler[got her powers]

B-9: Kurenai
guide

B-10: Shurei Kou/Hong
guide

B-11: Juliet Capulet
guide

B-12: Utena Tenjou
not even close, Claus is a great delivery boy, but Utena is an even better heroic Prince

B-13: Tohru Honda
guide/coin toss

B-14: Taichi Keaton
1) seen the series and loved it
2) he was one of the most selfless smart people of the last tourney, I think he deserves to move on through this round at least.

B-15: Shannon Casull
guide, saw a bit of When They Cry, Keiichi didn't impress.

B-16: Vash
why not? I kinda got the impression it was a job for Sosuke anyway.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'll vote early this time, as I want to comment on a couple of cases.

Group B-1
vs.

I'll be very curious to see how Ed does here. After reading his Guide entry I'll give Yajima Kintaro a chance instead, as he represents a different kind of hero for this tournament and I think such common everyday heroism needs to be recognized.

Group B-2
vs.

Tough choice, as I only know both characters off the Guide entries. I'll go with Natsume for the nonce and look for convincing reasons to vote otherwise.

Group B-3
Fakir, Princess Tutu
vs.

Honestly, I only see Fakir as marginally heroic (though legitimately so in the middle and later parts of the series, he's pretty much a douche for most of the first half), so I'll go with Onizuka instead.

Group B-4
vs.

Boy, I find both of these candidates marginal. Jinto never struck me as especially heroic, so I'll give Wolfwood consideration here.

Group B-5
vs.

Samatarou sounds interesting, but I've gotta go with the all-time classic here. Astro Boy it is.

Group B-6
vs.

Soichiro does have some heroic qualities, and might win against one of the weaker opponents in the bracket, but Touma isn't one of the weak ones. Though from the newest series entry in the tournament, he's from the old "protect the ladies" school of heroism, and takes the beatings to prove it.

Group B-7
vs.

No contest here. Balsa, a heroic primary protagonist who readily demonstrates her merits, easily overwhelms a more minor secondary character.

Group B-8
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto
vs.

Christmas is going to get votes because she's a sentimental favorite and comes from a beloved series, but let's be honest here; she doesn't show one-tenth the heroism that Naruto does. Like or hate the series (or even genre), that doesn't change the fact that Naruto's heroic spirit is one of the driving forces of this greatly popular franchise.

Group B-9
vs.

Boy, I supported Iria in the nominations process, but she's actually pretty marginal. Kurenai doesn't overwhelm as an heroic figure, but his valiant struggles to protect and look out for the best interests of Murasaki make him the clear better choice here.

Group B-10
vs.

Saito's situation sounds interesting enough that I'll probably have to watch that series at some point, but he's utterly out of his league here. Shurei is arguably the strongest non-action hero/heroine in the entire tournament. Complaints that will be used against Tohru won't work here, as Shurei can claim many worthy and tangible accomplishments, including reforming a lackadaisical Emperor, impressing court officials enough to support a law for allowing women to become government officials (previously a male-only domain), becoming the first such female official, playing a key role in bringing a troublesome province back under control, and co-creating an institution that not only fosters prosperity for her province but also gives it an enduring legacy. Sure, she has some help, but it's primarily her strength of character, will, and determination which makes these things happen.

Group B-11
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster
vs.

This one's a toughie for me, as both of these ladies are quite deserving. (Why didn't I shuffle them to match them up against the B-4 pair so both could advance? Ugh!) For all the romance elements, Juliet is still a hero in the making, and the end of the series alone justifies her place here. However, that ending still can't hold a candle to the overwhelming power of Gunbuster's ending and what exactly that symbolizes about Noriko's heroism, and so I have to give her the slight edge.

Group B-12
Claus Valca, Last Exile
vs.

Claus has his moments but ultimately isn't bold enough to be a strong hero. Utena is.

Group B-13
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.

I know people are going to give Tohru a lot of grief for being too nice or not accomplishing enough, but what she manages to do in spite of the terrible hand fate has dealt her earns her my respect and my vote here. Roger Smith has his merits but I can't vote against Tohru this early.

Group B-14
vs.
Kazuma, s-CRY-ed

Master Keaton sounds worthy and will probably win, but I have to give some props to my man Kazuma here. It's not every day you see heroes with such a specific and well-defined philosophy.

Group B-15
vs.

Keiichi does have his heroic moments, but his psychotic fit stands too prominently against him to win my support. Shannon may not be one of the strongest contenders but he has much less of a downside.

Group B-16
vs.

Interesting match-up. I'll give Vash the edge for being more pure of heart and intent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
Meh, I suppose I'll do mine before I go to bed.

Group B-1
vs.

I've seen one episode of FMA. In it, Ed visits a city where they hate his brother, and he tricks a baron of some sort into selling the mines where the villagers used to work back to the villagers for some fake gold that he alchemied up. That's pretty White Knightish. I want to vote for Kintaro, but I need some examples, so I'll vote Ed for now.

Group B-2
vs.

Natsume because his goodness seems more innate.

Group B-3
Fakir, Princess Tutu
vs.

Onizuka for the lengths he is willing to go to, the hardships he willingly puts himself through, and the shortcuts he is unwilling to take.

Group B-4
vs.

I'm kind of leery about voting for Wolfwood, but I fail to see anything heroic about Jinto.

Group B-5
vs.

Astro.

Group B-6
vs.

Sounds like it might be a lame show, but Touma.

Group B-7
vs.

Balsa.

Group B-8
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto
vs.

Ummm, Naruto? Maybe?

Group B-9
vs.

I·Я·I·Δ

Group B-10
vs.

Saito for spoilerific reasons.

Group B-11
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster
vs.

Noriko, for her heroic ability to expose her breasts.

Group B-12
Claus Valca, Last Exile
vs.

Utena. Viva La Revolución.

Group B-13
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.

Neither are really doing it for me, but I guess I'll pick Roger Smith

Group B-14
vs.
Kazuma, s-CRY-ed

Keaton, because he is a jack of all trades and a master of... THEM ALL!

Group B-15
vs.

Shannon, because he sounds like Zelgadiss.

Group B-16
vs.

Woot, the only match where I've seen both characters. I will pick Vash because he is completely unwilling to kill, yet he usually accomplishes his goal.
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Group B-1
vs.

Voting for: Yajima Kintaro
Reason: I love Ed, but he is a little too shonen. He is very heroic, very brave, yada yada yada, but these traits are ascribed to him very mechanically, and he doesn't seem to acquire them through any growth process. Rather, he has them from day one, which is not only unrealistic, but boring to see in a character. Anyway, I'm torn about this one, and will potentially consider a change.

Group B-2
vs.

Voting for: Natsume Takashi
Reason: This is a 'meh' choice for me, but I think Natsume's determination sounds slightly more heroic than standing up to high school bullies.

Group B-3
Fakir, Princess Tutu
vs.

Voting for: Eikichi Onizuka
Reason: Both have a sort of redemption theme going on, but Fakir seems a little more questionable in his dealings.

Group B-4
vs.

Voting for: Nicholas Wolfwood
Reason: Although it's been a while since I saw Trigun, Wolfwood has always stuck with me as an exceptional character, more so as he provides a counterpoint to Vash's often incensing pacifism. He may represent the less noble type of a hero who gets his hands dirty in the process, but, sometimes, that's the only thing that works.

Group B-5
vs.

Voting for: Astro Boy
Reason: I don't know anything about Samatarou, and the guide doesn't really help at all.

Group B-6
vs.

Voting for: Soichiro Yagami
Reason: Primarily because he stuck to the Kira investigation. But how did such a good man raise such a dastardly son?

Group B-7
vs.

Voting for: Jessica Edwards
Reason: It's easy to be tough and heroic when you already have all the skill in the world. In proportion to her skills and abilities, Jessica is the braver of the two.

Group B-8
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto
vs.

Voting for: Christmas
Reason: Falls under my no-generic-shonen category.

Group B-9
vs.

Voting for: Iria
Reason: Sounds more heroic...

Group B-10
vs.

Voting for: Saito
Reason: I haven't seen either, but Shurei sounds more wily than heroic

Group B-11
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster
vs.

Voting for: Noriko
Reason: Guide

Group B-12
Claus Valca, Last Exile
vs.

Voting for: Claus Valca
Reason: Don't really see how Utena qualifies to begin with

Group B-13
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.

Voting for: Roger Smith
Reason: I like the part about getting the job done and not taking the credit.

Group B-14
vs.
Kazuma, s-CRY-ed

Voting for: Taichi Keaton
Reason: Guide

Group B-15
vs.

Voting for: Shannon
Reason: Going with the consensus

Group B-16
vs.

Voting for: Sousuke Sagara
Reason: Vash is a great guy, so much that I feel bad for not voting for him, but I think he is far too passive to be considered heroic. I also think the guide is kind of manipulative in its description of his abilities, because it's not as though he makes some sort of difficult moral decision when he refuses to "destroy all mankind" - simply, that type of thought doesn't enter the equation for him in the first place.
ccdx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
All brackets and Mini-game scores updated at: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/

38 votes! A good start. I look forward to seeing how the rest of the tournament goes Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
Okay, first I should explain what I have been doing. I have been recording every vote people make, with an eye to then compare everyone's votes against everyone elses' votes. Person by person, vote by vote, I recorded how many differences there were between everyone's votes.

My original goal was to ascertain the various voting blocks, and that hasn't changed. Although, I haven't figured them out yet; just accumulating the raw data was tedious enough. But, it is also interesting to see how much (or how little) various people agree with one another.

So, without further ado, some awards:

Rolodex Award for Most Connected Person: Olliff, with just 187 vote differences out of a possible 592.

Runner-up: Sophisticat (193 vote differences).

James Dean Award for Least Connected Person: Lodossdreams, with a whopping 319 vote differences.

Runner-up: classicalzawa, with 295 vote differences.

Best Friend Forever Award for Most Closely Connected Pair: Jarmyn and Skylark, the only two people in the Group to have exactly matching votes tallies.

Nemesis Award for Least Connected Pair: A tie between BES Null Core and fighterholic, and BES Null Core and MangaNeko. Both pairs had 13 differences between them.

Be on the lookout for more gongs regarding the voting blocks, in about a day or so.

Edit: Oops, fixed that.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:24 am; edited 2 times in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Person by person, vote by vote, I recorded how many differences there were between everyone's votes.
I hope you don't mean that you counted differences by hand. If so, you are wasting hours of your life. Investing an hour or two up front for a tournament like this will save you a lot of time later. Ask Dorcas about the time saving wonder that is Excel.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
James Dean Award for Least Connected Person: Lodossdreams, with a whopping 319 vote differences.

Runner-up: classicalzawa, with 295 vote differences.

Whoa, whoa, I got some runner-up thing, what exactly does "least connected" mean? I got the buddy and not buddy pairs, but not the most and least connected. I'm pretty sure that being the only person to not vote Kenshin had something to do with that (automatically put me against 37 people, but to be fair, it was only a "for the underdog" vote), but I'm still unsure as to what you mean...
*edit* does seem like a fun idea though, secret things that in no way affect the tourney, but satisfy curiosities
*edit again* meant to ask, but who is James Dean?

Last edited by zawa113 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:19 am; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I hope you don't mean that you counted differences by hand. If so, you are wasting hours of your life. Investing an hour or two up front for a tournament like this will save you a lot of time later. Ask Dorcas about the time saving wonder that is Excel.

Oh, I learnt plenty. I just wish I already knew all of it when I started.
guet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
Group B-1
vs.

Voting for: Ed

Group B-2
vs.

Voting for: Tsukushi Makino

Group B-3
Fakir, Princess Tutu
vs.

Voting for: Onizuka

Reason: Onizuka met with some opposition during the nominations, my opinion is that he should easily win the first few rounds. His dedication to his students is really what the series is about. He may be a bit rough around the edges, but his heart is always in the right place.

Group B-4
vs.

Voting for: Wolfwood

Group B-5
vs.

Voting for: Astro Boy

Group B-6
vs.

Voting for: Touma Kamijo

Reason: Even after spoiler[losing all his memories, he still had the desire to protect those around him.] This shows that it is in his nature to be heroic, and worthy of moving on. Yagami is a good guy and all, but he really wasn't all that heroic.

Group B-7
vs.

Voting for: Balsa

Reason: She is my pick to win this group, In my opinion, she is probably the most heroic female in the entire tournament. The extremes that she goes to so that she can protect others without taking lives is very impressive. She shares a lot of character traits with Kenshin as well.

Group B-8
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto
vs.

Voting for: Naruto

Group B-9
vs.

Voting for: Kurenai Shinkurou

Group B-10
vs.

Voting for: Saito Hiraga

Group B-11
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster
vs.

Voting for: Juliet Capulet

Group B-12
Claus Valca, Last Exile
vs.

Voting for: Claus Valca

Group B-13
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.

Voting for: Roger Smith

Group B-14
vs.
Kazuma, s-CRY-ed

Voting for: Taichi Keaton

Group B-15
vs.

Voting for: Shannon Casull

Group B-16
vs.

Voting for: Vash the Stampede
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:12 am Reply with quote
Group B-1
vs.

Edward Elric

Group B-2
vs.

Natsume Takashi

Group B-3
Fakir, Princess Tutu
vs.

Fakir His situation is similar to Princess Tutu's situation both characters were doomed to fail from the word go. Fakir had to deal with the destiny of a useless knight who was fated to die achieving nothing.

Group B-4
vs.

Nicholas Wolfwood I haven't seen the whole series, but Nicholas Wolfwood seems to be the most interesting character in Trigun. Besides, his adversary is a weak choice.

Group B-5
vs.

Astro Boy

Group B-6
vs.

Tohma Kamijo

Group B-7
vs.

Jessica Edwards
Honestly, I don’t think she will win this round, but I think she deserves to get a few votes. I will not be angry if she loses to Balsa, who is a strong opponent, in my opinion.

Group B-8
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto
vs.

Christmas

Group B-9
vs.

Kurenai Shinkurou

Group B-10
vs.

Shurei Kou/Hong

Group B-11
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster
vs.

Noriko Takaya

Group B-12
Claus Valca, Last Exile
vs.

Utena Tenjou She is my hero Very Happy

Group B-13
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.

Roger Smith
Tohru feels like an artificial human being that is programmed to love and be loved by absolutely every character that happens to be in Fruits Basket. Plus, additional option to splutter words of wisdom by mother does not help.

I want heroic people not heroic robots.

Group B-14
vs.
Kazuma, s-CRY-ed

Taichi Keaton

Group B-15
vs.

Keiichi Maebara

Group B-16
vs.

Vash the Stampede Sure he is a clichéd and generic character but a sympathetic figure and I don’t think Sagara is that much better choice here.

Last edited by Aylinn on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:51 am Reply with quote
Match B-1: Edward Elric
Yajima's info didn't make him seem anything special compared to the challenges Ed endures. While Ed does seem like a jerk, his heart is in the right place when it comes to helping others.

Match B-2: Natsume Takashi
Both contestants in this match are a bit weak and I'm even wondering how Tsukushi qualifies as a heroine if she only dealt with the F-4 and the other snobby students of the rich school. Natsume's devotion to helping the spirits give him my vote this round, though I doubt he'll survive against Ed next round.

Match B-3: Eikichi Onizuka
Hands town, Onizuka. It took a lot for him to win over the students and overcome the corruption of those in the school who conspired against him.

Match B-4: Nicholas Wolfwood
For whatever silly reason, I made my mini-game vote for Jinto. I'm breaking with him for Wolfwood since despite killing his enemies, Wolfwood is only doing what he believes is right to protect his friends and any other victims.

Match B-5: Astro Boy
Classic hero. Nuff said.

Match B-6: Tohma Kamijo
While noble in personality, I didn't see Soichiro do much of anything in Death Note. Tohma doesn't sound like much from his profile. But he seems to have done more. Still, I doubt he'll survive the next round.

Match B-7: Balsa
Balsa seems like a female version of Kenshin from what I've heard about her.

Match B-8: Naruto
He may be your run-of-the-mill hero in a shounen anime, but Naruto's done plenty of heroics compared to Christmas.

Match B-9: Kurenai Shinkurou
Both are weak choices as well. But Shinkurou wins here since he became strongly devote to ensuring Murasaki's safety.

Match B-10: Shuurei Kou
Voting for her due to guide and reputation.

Match B-11: Juliet
Has all the makings of a potential heroine and earns her spot from spoiler[the sacrifice she makes] the end of the series.

Match B-12: Utena Tenjou
Never recalled anything too notable about Claus as a hero. Utena's a strong willed heroine following in the tradition of classic shoujo heroine Lady Oscar of Rose of Versailles. I definitely need to vote for her.

Match B-13: Tohru Honda
Her selflessness did a lot to change the lives of the cursed Sohmas for the better.

Match B-14: Kazuma
I nominated him and despite being rough around the edges, he strongly cares for the freedom of those living away from the central city.

Match B-15: Shannon Casull
Keiichi has his heroic moments. But Shannon seems stronger from his devotion to protecting a girl like Pacifica who is widely detested.

Match B-16: Vash the Stampede
Another well-known anime pacifist alongside Kenshin. He may act silly, but he shows a strong love for humanity and cares for their protection. He's a far stronger candidate than Sousuke.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:27 am Reply with quote
Group B-1

Yajima sounds like a nice guy, but I'm going to have to go with Edward, as I'm more familiar with his heroic actions.

Group B-2

Wow, these two seem to be fairly well matched, one working with subtlety, the other--not so much. But given that I'm the one that nominated Tsukushi, I feel I should give her at least one vote! She definitely deserves some support, although not being familiar with Natsume, it's unclear if she should win.

Group B-3
Fakir, Princess Tutu

Ow, this is a very tough match up, and in the end, I'm going with the one I'm most familiar with. I'm sure the Great Teacher does some pretty heroic things, but I know for certain that Fakir does, dipping into his darkest fear in order to save the one he loves.

Group B-4

Wolfwood was my favorite character from Trigun, and I adore him. But I just don't see him as a hero. He's a good guy--most of the time--but there were just a few too many ulterior motives mixed into his good deeds for me to want to see him advance. As for Jinto, well, if I recall he definitely stepped up to some pretty grand situations. If I recall correctly.

Group B-5
Astro Boy, Astro Boy

Samatarou's guide entry made him sound like he was a nice guy. Which is great, but what about heroism? Is he more than nice? So I'm going with the classic Astro Boy instead.

Group B-6

Neither really tickle my heroic fancy here, but I'm familiar enough with Yagami to know that he's definitely not what I classify as a hero. With that, I'll go with Touma

Group B-7

As much as I love going for the old school, Balsa's guide entry makes me think that she's the better choice.

Group B-8
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto

This one pains me a bit, given my utter disinterest in this series, but for now Naruto will be my choice, unless someone gives a good argument for Christmas.

Group B-9

Bounty hunter versus paid 'negotiator.' Ick. However, I know for fact that Shinkurou goes well beyond his duties in protecting little Murasaki and helping others, so I'll stick with him.

Group B-10

I'll go with something a bit different here...I'm not familiar with either series, but I like that Shurei seems to take a different approach to things and is a different kind of hero.

Group B-11

Going with Juliet, as her guide entry makes her out to be really quite interesting (and heroic)! Crimson Hero? I've gotta watch this one sometime...

Group B-12

Utena is one of the strongest female leads that I've come across in anime. She's willing to sacrifice anything to protect those that she loves--and those that she doesn't even know but are in need. Although I don't see it actually happening, she's one that certainly is worthy of making it all the way.

Group B-13
Roger Smith, The Big O

Tohru is just not a hero to me. Roger's guide entry makes him sound like he is. Good enough.

Group B-14
Kazuma, s-CRY-ed

Not really my cup of tea, but I just found myself a bit more drawn to him than Master Keaton.

Group B-15

I still can't believe Keiichi even made it in. Shannon, on the other hand is a better choice to me. Now granted, he's willing to risk the entire world for his little sister, which is both heroic and unheroic all at once, but that's certainly better than anything I've seen out of Keiichi.

Group B-16

No competition here for me. Vash is the epitome of the hero, particularly given his desperate attempts to prevent from ever killing anyone. Even though I'm a major Utena fan, if they come against one another, I'm going for the spiky haired dweeb.
Olliff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
Most connected? Well, I guess this award could be considered a good thing, especially since I was of the first ones to vote. I suppose I am an agreeable person, there's no denying that. Now, I only wish I was the most connected in real life; it's not what you know, but who you know that matters. Wink

Group B-1

While Ed certainly has his drawbacks, he has the edge here. Despite his motivations, Ed is undeniably heroic.

Group B-2
Natsume, Natsume Yuujincho

Guides and comments. I may change this vote if a strong argument is made.

Group B-3
Eikichi Onizuka, Great Teacher Onizuka

Easy choice. While Onizuka does have dominant trait that prevents him from being close to anything that I would call pure, his heart and spirit are the right place to such a degree that this trait seems negligible. He really is willing to do anything for his students; this dedication is worthy of respect.

Group B-4

Wolfwood is an awesome character. However, like Mylene, I don't see him as a hero. There are times where he is good intentioned, but there are also times where his ulterior motives shine. As for Jinto, I don't think he is incredibly heroic, but he does manage to prove himself even when he is placed in a tough situation.

Group B-5
Astro Boy, Astro Boy

I will reluctantly give Astro Boy the nod after reading both of their guide entries.

Group B-6

While it is true that I nominated Cheif Yagami, he simply does not deserve to win here. I have a lot of respect for the chief, but he falls short when it comes to active displays of heroism. The chief may have been able to win against an easier opponent, but Tohma is too deserving.

Group B-7

I believe that Balsa is one of the front runners in this group. In a respect, she is similar to Vash without any of negative traits that will prevent me from voting for him in the later rounds. Vash is far too passive, pragmatic and spontaneous for me to consider him a top tiered hero. Balsa, on the other hand, is incredibly strong willed, brave, thoughtful, and dedicated to fulfilling her need to atone for her prior wrongs. Her character is marked by redemption and strong morals, and she is woman that has decided not to kill despite being a bodyguard, and not only that but her dedication to protecting the ones she serves is so great she has no interest in material things such as rewards for saving the prince. Her primary motivations for her actions remain doing what she believes is right and earning redemption, which are both markedly heroic.

Selflessness, redemption, morality, dedication, pacifism -- Balsa has so many things going for her character that she may be the sole reason why Group C may not be the only group with a female winner.

Group B-8

Christmas barely manages to edge out Naruto. It's a shame that her true status as hero doesn't manage to emerge until much later on in the series. Naruto is good intentioned, but his obsession with power causes me to see him as much less heroic.

Group B-9

Kurenai wins hands down. Despite being a paid negotiator, it's clear that he goes way beyond what is required to protect the people that he's protecting.

Group B-10
Saito Hiragi, The Familiar of Zero

I'm not familiar with either character. Going by the guide and comments alone, Saito seems much more deserving. Saito makes great sacrifices in order to further the forces of good; that's enough to earn him my vote.

Group B-11

Her guide entry is quite impressive. I may have to watch her show sometime despite some of the past criticism that I have heard about this show.

Group B-12

Utena is a very strong heroine. Though her motivations are a bit selfish, she is willing to do anything to fight for those that she loves.

Group B-13
Tohru, Fruit Baskets

Tohru prove that you do not need to by physically strong in order to be a heroine. Her heart is much in the right place that is probably one of the nicest, most selfless, and purest character in any anime. She is perpetually cheerful, and she is an inspiration to all those around her. She is the perfect example of the everyday hero, she may not fight monsters or have incredible powers, but she tries her hardest to make the world a better place by being kind to those around her.

Group B-14
Keaton, Master Keaton

I'm going by the guide and the comments. Keaton seems much more well rounded as a hero than Kazuma.

***********Vote change**************

Group B-15

The arguments made for this character have been quite impressive. I have also only seen part of the first season and apparently he truly shines as a hero in the later seasons.

Group B-16

Vash outclasses Sosuke, but I agree with Key that he is one of the weaker seeds in this tournament. Yes, Vash is a pacifist and this pacifism defines his character, but his reasons for being one are not particularly heroic. Vash in inherently reckless and he causes a lot of destruction without ever taking responsibility. His character is also defined by such a strong degree of passiveness that I do not find him particularly heroic as a top tier competitor for this tournament. I will give him credit where credit is due; he clearly deserves to win this match.

Last edited by Olliff on Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 77