• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Wins Nickelodeon Mag's Favorite Manga Award

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
JLightstar wrote:
I don't know how their system works but Calvin and Hobbes had ended their run since 1995. ....

Yeah, I'm wondering about the dates too. Diary of a Wimpy Kid was published in 2007. The 3rd book just came out too. It's been on the New York Time's Best Selling Children's Books List for years now, and is licensed for a movie.

I'm looking at the magazine now and I see they have a special feature on the author who wrote up a special for them. I'm thinking they just picked it since they could get him for some sort of publicity gimmick.

But... WTF is with this magazine? Here in some section called "Toon Weekly Exclusive" ... Bart Simpson and Sakura Haruno are apparently dating.

Quote:
Bart & Sakura
Is it Love?

We first spotted Bart Simpson and Sakura Haruno together in the manga section at The Android's Dungeon. Then we saw the ninja starlet rush to Bart's side after he took a bad fall at the skate park. Sakura claimed she was just using her medical ninja powers to help the wounded skater boy, but it looked like some extra-special TLC to us!

Sources saw the two were introduced back when Bart's sister Lisa was dating hunky Naruto. We broke that story here. Lisa and Naruto are now splitsville, but Bart and Sakura seem inseparable. Sakura insists they're just friends, but a source close tot he couple says Bart is totally Sakura's type. "He's like Sasuke with a little less smarts," she said.

Bart's Bud Milhouse says Simpson may have met his match in more ways than one. "Sakura could totally kick is butt-uh.... opps! I wasn't supposed to say anything. Bart's gonna kill me."

We won't tell.

First off, who buys their kids this sort of craptacular kid parody of a tabloid magazine, and 2nd... how the hell are these people getting paid for coming up with and publishing this crap. Gotta admit though, the picture of Bart and Sakura is pretty funny (heck, there's even a Death Note and Fruits Basket comic in the bg). ... is it legal to use licensed cartoon characters like this?

... *Ripps out the Where the Wild Things Are poster and puts the poor excuse for a kids magazine back on the shelf*

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
The Pokemon manga is fairly decent compared to the series. Especially the Yellow saga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

But... WTF is with this magazine? Here in some section called "Toon Weekly Exclusive" ... Bart Simpson and Sakura Haruno are apparently dating.

As mentioned in that article you quoted, they also "reported" that Naruto and Lisa were dating. When I saw that a while back I was amused, but now I'm just sad. >.>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that toon weekly exclusive thing is just ridiculus, but I have a feeling that it's supposed to be. Anyway I'm very happy to hear Pokemon Adventures winning in the best manga catagory. That is a really good manga that I wish would come out properly already (I can't wait for the viz re-release).
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

As mentioned in that article you quoted, they also "reported" that Naruto and Lisa were dating. When I saw that a while back I was amused, but now I'm just sad. >.>

That doesn't even add up. I guess I could stretch my belief that Sakura would date someone like Bart (assuming Bart started liking girls), but Lisa dating Naruto? No, they'd have nothing in common and the relationship could never work. Lisa needs to be with someone who can talk about the issues she's interested in (which, although I sympathize with Milhouse, leaves him with no chance).
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
The Anagelic One wrote:
NOW can we have the rest of the Adventures manga?

If you don't know, VIZ will start releasing them again in June.
Chibitoon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I used to get the Nick magazine when I was little and I remember it being OK. (Early Disney Adventure mags from the '90s were the best and my favorite, IMO.) Now whenever I get curious enough to browse through one, I have to shudder at all the nonsense and the badly-BADLY-drawn versions of the Nicktoon characters.

Actually I was a big Nickelodeon fan growing up, but now..... ugh.... I pretty much stopped watching that network after the cancellation of Invader Zim. And don't be surprised by their award nominations... Nickelodeon has been the worse when it came to any kind of award thing.... (This is coming from a girl who has hated the Kids Choice Awards since she was 10....XP )

CT
alexcampos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Nick Magazine, do everyone a favor, don't even mention manga, or for that fact even graphic novels, honestly who cares what a bunch of 8 year olds have to say. Rolling Eyes
Kimyo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed what I read of Pokemon Adventures, but I was deeply disappointed to find out that Yellow is a girl. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep reading it...

... Uh, maybe to see Gary. I wonder if Harley ever shows up???
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Pokemon? Over Fruits Basket, Naruto, and One Piece!? Kids these days...

Ehehe, I'm just kidding. Laughing The Pokemon manga really is pretty good. If anything, it's at least a lot better than the anime!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
JLightstar wrote:
I don't know how their system works but Calvin and Hobbes had ended their run since 1995. ....

Yeah, I'm wondering about the dates too. Diary of a Wimpy Kid was published in 2007. The 3rd book just came out too. It's been on the New York Time's Best Selling Children's Books List for years now, and is licensed for a movie.

I'm looking at the magazine now and I see they have a special feature on the author who wrote up a special for them. I'm thinking they just picked it since they could get him for some sort of publicity gimmick.

Quote:
Bart & Sakura
Is it Love?

We first spotted Bart Simpson and Sakura Haruno together in the manga section at The Android's Dungeon. Then we saw the ninja starlet rush to Bart's side after he took a bad fall at the skate park. Sakura claimed she was just using her medical ninja powers to help the wounded skater boy, but it looked like some extra-special TLC to us!

Sources saw the two were introduced back when Bart's sister Lisa was dating hunky Naruto. We broke that story here. Lisa and Naruto are now splitsville, but Bart and Sakura seem inseparable. Sakura insists they're just friends, but a source close tot he couple says Bart is totally Sakura's type. "He's like Sasuke with a little less smarts," she said.

Bart's Bud Milhouse says Simpson may have met his match in more ways than one. "Sakura could totally kick is butt-uh.... opps! I wasn't supposed to say anything. Bart's gonna kill me."

We won't tell.

First off, who buys their kids this sort of craptacular kid parody of a tabloid magazine, and 2nd... how the hell are these people getting paid for coming up with and publishing this crap. Gotta admit though, the picture of Bart and Sakura is pretty funny (heck, there's even a Death Note and Fruits Basket comic in the bg). ... is it legal to use licensed cartoon characters like this?

... *Ripps out the Where the Wild Things Are poster and puts the poor excuse for a kids magazine back on the shelf*

Wow, what can I even say about that. Bart and Sakura dating is like a cross over fanfiction that is completly bizaree. I can't even imagine Naruto and Lisa dating.

I remember way back in the early 90's when the content was actually funny and the articles weren't too outragious. Heck I even remember that old commerial for Nick Magazine (even though its probably been over a decade or more). I shutter to think what the magazine is like today.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:
Nick Magazine, do everyone a favor, don't even mention manga, or for that fact even graphic novels, honestly who cares what a bunch of 8 year olds have to say. Rolling Eyes

Other 8-yr-olds? Laughing
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:36 am Reply with quote
Kimyo wrote:
I enjoyed what I read of Pokemon Adventures, but I was deeply disappointed to find out that Yellow is a girl. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep reading it...

... Uh, maybe to see Gary. I wonder if Harley ever shows up???

You forget that Pokemon Adventures is not at all related to the Pokemon anime. Harley, being anime specific, doesn't even exist in that world. Gary exists only as Green (or Blue if your reading the Viz version).

If you're only reading it for boys, then there are plenty more guys in this manga, so don't worry.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote
But Kakashi's hair is spoiler[was] amazing!
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
(... What the frak? Diary of a Wimpy Kid is NOT a graphic novel. Does Nickledoen know what a graphic novel is? I have to really wonder, because Diary of a Wimpy Kid is a YA chapter book series. Sure, it has a little stickfigure drawing on every page, but it's a BOOK. So in Nicklodeon's eyes now, any chapter book with illustrations is a graphic novel?)

Agreed. Most definitely not a graphic novel. Just a novel...with graphics. Although, I don't get how Pokemon Adventures managed to get any sort of award. I read the first three issues and all I saw was terrible puns and mixed up names. I looked for scanlations online but for the first dozen volumes, it was just Viz translations, but inserted onto the original unflipped manga. And of course, I cannot speak Japanese (yet) to read it.

Why does Nickelodeon even know what manga is? I thought I could count on them to be totally American. Of course the two anime that came on CN would be up there. It's okay when CN talked about anime, because CN was with it. Or at least more with it than anyone else.

Until Toonami was canceled. TAnime cryT

(First off, who buys their kids this sort of craptacular kid parody of a tabloid magazine, and 2nd... how the hell are these people getting paid for coming up with and publishing this crap. Gotta admit though, the picture of Bart and Sakura is pretty funny (heck, there's even a Death Note and Fruits Basket comic in the bg). ... is it legal to use licensed cartoon characters like this? )

I believe it would fall under Parody, so yeah, it's legal, in the U.S., at least. Now if this was all totally serious crossover save-the-world fanfiction, then yes, it would be illegal. Ick, what's Death Note doing in the background? Why are kids watching Death Note again? Why are the kids who are reading Nick Magazine watching Death Note? Can they follow the plot? Did you notice it came on Adult Swim? Man, I miss the days where people would give me weird looks for watching Adult Swim, or at the very least, for staying up till 1:00 AM to watch anime. I just realized...everyone's doing that now?

I feel like a whiny brat for wishing anime wasn't as mainstream but...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3