• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Live-action Cowboy Bebop film -- hit or miss?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lt_blanco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
with all the talk of a live actino Cowboy Bebop film do you think that fox will do a good job producing the film. an if casted can Keanu Reeves portray spike as the cool ,bad ass, bounty hunter we all know an love. what i want to know who there going to cast as ed Question
far0re

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
darn, an anime should remain an anime. ever seen the parts of the live-action death note movies? they are just such a disgrace for the entire awesome anime.

though, if this movie is really coming then in my view the only actor who can make the movie a little better would be johnny depp, he would be able to play spike just perfectly.
And edd? hmm what is the most odd craziest humorous small girl on this planet? no clue really Mad

anyhow, has there ever been a GOOD movie that originally was an anime?
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
far0re wrote:

Actually the Korean live-action movie adaptation of Antique Bakery was quite good. I enjoyed it and I usually can't stand live adaptations - especially the Japanese ones (shudders at the horrible Death Note and Honey and Clover movies).

Cowboy Bebop could work but not with Keanu Reeves - he's too old. Personally I would rather see a live adaptation of Monster but keeping Dr. Tenma and not some American Caucasian version of Dr. Tenma.
CaRDz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
far0re wrote:
ever seen the parts of the live-action death note movies? they are just such a disgrace for the entire awesome anime.

I liked the CG rendition for Ryuk. But beyond that, I can't say any more since I didn't really watch more than 10 minutes of the whole movie(s).

lt_blanco, is there a link for the movie production? is it current? or still under talks?

I haven't gotten to watching Cowboy Bebop. I thought it was a little too heavy on the emotions. haha
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
*** RALLLLLLLLLLLLLLPH ***

The mere thought makes me vomit.

I love this series and there's absolutely no way a human expression can copy the expressions given by the characters.

Ever.

That's why I enjoy anime.

I wouldn't watch this film if they gave it to me.

Funny thing, as I found "Anime News Nina" just yesterday (hey, still exploring so give me a break!). You should all read the "Pokemon" strip.

That says it all right there. Smile
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
It's way too early to be speculating about it at this point, let alone judging it, or just plain ignorantly denouncing a work that hasn't even been made yet. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Yeah, the Death Note movies, those were better than the anime even. Also the GTO live action series and the movie were pretty good and Speed Racer wasn't bad.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
In all honestly, an anime should remain an anime. For example, how fox literally ruined every single part of Dragon Ball: the De-evolution.

Not even shows like Chi's Sweet Home would adapt well into North American live action flims. To this day, I've never seen a live action anime adaptation I've remotely enjoyed.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I think this thread is a little premature seeing as how we have very little to go on, (All we have is talk nothing even as substantial as clips/trailers or a hard script)

However I think thus "Actors can't portray the emotion that anime characters can do!" is false.if an actor goes off we just read the wrong emotion, anime goes off? Looks wooden and soulless (Advent Children)

This series is an episodic series, thus even if the movie is not based on a previous episode, you can view it as an extended episode, so really all this nay saying and "Entertainment should stay in it's original form and not converted into another form" means we wouldn't be talking about a lot of anime series, as by that sentiment I'd be doing wrong to make an anime based off of a manga. Understand that different mediums have different strengths and weaknesses, Douglas Adams understood this when he wrote his adaptations of his work for Radio, TV, and Movies, so can you have the common courtesy to do the same?
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I wouldn't watch this film if they gave it to me.

Yes, because it's already finished, distributed, and the reviews are in, right? Good heavens, they're not even in pre-production and the fans are sharpening their pitchforks.

I thought Speed Racer was awesome, myself, and there are plenty of other live-action anime/manga adaptations that are highly enjoyable--the aforementioned GTO, for instance, and Nodame Cantabile, HanaDan, and Blue Spring.

Everyone has their own personal dream cast for the film and that's understandable; it's part of being a fan. I'm personally fine with Keanu because a) it's not like Spike ever emoted much to begin with and b) he's a HUGE fan of the source material. Like, a serious hardcore fan. He's the one who most wants to get this film made. How nice would it be to have someone so dedicated to the original series on set every day, giving constant input and suggestions?

Don't know how they're gonna pull off the hair, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
far0re

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, the Death Note movies, those were better than the anime even.

Blasfemie!! well I guess everyone his opinions, anyhow you shouldnt miss on cowboy bebop, best anime I have seen so far.

Quote:
However I think thus "Actors can't portray the emotion that anime characters can do!" is false.

This series is an episodic series, thus even if the movie is not based on a previous episode, you can view it as an extended episode, so really all this nay saying and "Entertainment should stay in it's original form and not converted into another form" means we wouldn't be talking about a lot of anime series, as by that sentiment I'd be doing wrong to make an anime based off of a manga. Understand that different mediums have different strength and weaknesses, Douglas Adams understood this when he wrote his adaptations of his work for Radio, TV, and Movies, so can you have the common courtesy to do the same?

my problem with this is that, for the people who know cowboy bebop the movie would probably be a bummer. I truely hope that this movie is actually is going to be good but I really doubt it. ofcourse actors could be found to play the roles, but by doing this the hole view towards a sertain character would change. and honestly, i don't want my image on spike, and especially Edd to be changed to some actors acting. the hole atmosphere on cowboy bebop is blues like sphere, i doubt they will put in some of that instead of the normal action scenes. (like the new indiana jones movie is 90% action)

apart from that cowboy bebop is a future scienfiction story, they need to pay alot of money to do the special effects. which i doubt Mad

Alas, lets hope they make the best of it.
troizen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
part from that cowboy bebop is a future scienfiction story, they need to pay alot of money to do the special effects. which i doubt

even though Cowboy Bebop is a science fiction series it doesn't really need a lot of cg. maybe if they have a sweet space fight. but that is about it really. ooh unless they do a cg edd.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
So far the movie only has 2 things going for it. One, Keanu Reeves. And two, the fact that it's going to be based off the first episode. I can only see one hope for this movie. If they don't do a direct adaptation of the show. I think it would be cool if they put the story into a straight up modern day spaghetti western. If they try and do it as a full on Cowboy Bebop Movie kind of thing then I think it will be a flop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
So far the movie only has 2 things going for it. One, Keanu Reeves. And two, the fact that it's going to be based off the first episode. I can only see one hope for this movie. If they don't do a direct adaptation of the show. I think it would be cool if they put the story into a straight up modern day spaghetti western. If they try and do it as a full on Cowboy Bebop Movie kind of thing then I think it will be a flop.

Yeah I'd say make it like a space spaghetti western would be an accurate description of a feel for the show, man surviving in the "west" that is space.

So yeah they probably should shoot for that.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Well the series is already a space spaghetti western. I was saying that they should take out the space aspect. For one, it could drive away potential viewers because they may not like sci-fi. And two, the first episode doesn't really have much to do with space anyways. So they would just be needlessly throwing in special effects that could end up damaging the potential for the movie. I was thinking of a spaghetti western in the setting of now and here kind of thing. I think it could work, but that might just be me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Well "West" as a concept in a modern setting is conceptually hard, as it is how about keeping your own rules and civilization in a place where there is none, that's how it can work in a space setting, but if we were to have a rough and tumble modernity like that it be more like say a mob movie feel (Cowboy Bebop is a melting pot of many action/story genres so it makes it a little easier to conceptualize when we sahre a lot of them in our own entertainment.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3