• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Outside articles on anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MironBiron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know any articles about Anime, done by media from outside the ''Anime scene''?

thanks
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
It's extremely easy to use a search feature like Google to find media like this. All it takes is finding what your are looking for.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I would take Teriyaki Terrier's edvice on this. Google is your friend. Also, you could give us some info on what exactally your looking for.

Anyways, anyone remember this one? Forbes article
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
I would take Teriyaki Terrier's edvice on this. Google is your friend. Also, you could give us some info on what exactally your looking for.

Anyways, anyone remember this one? Forbes article

Thank you. Google is pretty easy to use, just simply what one is looking for. As for the Forbes article, I might have read it before today, but based off the title, probably not.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Gee, what an unbiased and informative article detailing ADV's business advances at the time. It doesn't paint anime as money-sucking morally bankrupt "stuff" pioneered in the states by a lucky immature dropout at ALL...

[/extreme sarcasm]

Seriously. If I was John Ledford, I'd be kinda annoyed. Since I'm not, I just find it a wee bit sad.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
That Forbes article made fun of Mutineers' Moon (it couldn't even spell it right). It must be destroyed. Although, it is nice to see Anime getting some recognition, even its mainly on the financial side. Forbes did quite a good job making it sound like Anime is vastly profitable (I do realise the article is very old).
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Well even at the time this was written anime wasn't a strong industry. It's funny seeing them talk about how great ADV is. Also, it's pretty obvious that the guy who wrote this article, didn't know much about anime it self. Or what he was getting into. Funny stuff. But I respect them for trying to give the falling company that is ADV a little boost.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RoverTX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I know this might be a few days to late but MSNBC did a horrible article on Anime on a special report about sex in the modern world. It's full of holes but it's still an outside article. Will get the link when I get back to my home computer in a little bit.
TheVok

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Here's one that will really cheer up the fans! Shocked

[EDIT: Link removed. We already had a Talkback thread on this, and there's no need to rekindle that particular flame war again so soon.~Zalis]
RoverTX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26639577/

I thought I had seen it on the Adult Swim boards, but maybe it was here, anyway its pretty funny, and goes over Sex in Anime, only problem is that the author has a lot of his facts wrong.

Edit 1: I just remembered I have access to lexus nexus......brb!
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
Here's one that will really cheer up the fans! Shocked

*removed*

Really interesting article, thanks.
I wonder how much inbetweening is still done in-house or in Japan these days?
Interesting that anime may be seen to be shooting itself in the foot with emphasis on "adult" content (so-called adult content which chiefly appeals to adolescent males). Otaku intertextuality is another trend I usually find tedious.
Interesting that declining DVD sales in the West are partly blamed on fansubbing - I think of the fansubbing phenomenon as an equalisation, because in Japan fans can watch almost anything on free-to-air and then decide what to buy, whereas in the West we often have to resort to "blind buys" (albeit less expensive than Japanese DVDs).
Although the bubble of the last decade will inevitably burst, some anime will still be produced, perhaps with a narrower Japanese outlook than recent productions. I just hope the poor peons of the anime industry get improved conditions - but in a recession that's not very likely.
TheVok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

Although the bubble of the last decade will inevitably burst, some anime will still be produced, perhaps with a narrower Japanese outlook than recent productions.

I totally agree. Given that Japanese animation is pretty much as ubiquitous as Japanese live action, to suggest that anime is on its way out is as ridiculous as suggesting that live-action programming is on its way out.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they don't decide that all-CGI production is the way of the future.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
I just hope they don't decide that all-CGI production is the way of the future.

Well, I saw a clip of Freedom once, and the characters' movements were enough to deter me from the series entirely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bling Bling

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
well I know of two documentaries on anime one is drawing a revolution which gets tons of stuff wrong and shouldnt be watched and theres otaku unite which is pretty well done and pretty funny watch it for johnny otaku his scenes are priceless
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2