• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is your opinion as to why anime is "nerdy?"

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:21 am Reply with quote
I've been hearing it a lot, "Anime is nerdy" or "Watching anime is nerdy." The only thing I can think of is the "anime is my life"kind of fans make it seem nerdy with your figurines and your cos play and your posters and lifesize pillows in shape of a girl. But, seriously though, I don't see how it is nerdy and I don't think it is.

Last edited by Hannish Lightning on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
Because in America, animation has never been taken seriously as a medium for telling a story aimed at anyone over 10. This alone is part of why it can never reach into the mainstream.
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:24 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
The only thing I can think of is the fans make it seem nerdy with your figurines and your cos play and your posters and lifesize pillows in shape of a girl.

I've been into anime since the VHS days but I don't have any figurines, I never cosplay, and I don't sleep with any unusually shaped pillows. I thought most anime fans just watched the stuff and left it at that? Don't tell me I'm the exception for not amassing an army of figurines and dressing up like my favorite anime characters? That's a scary thought.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:45 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
I've been hearing it a lot, "Anime is nerdy" or "Watching anime is nerdy." The only thing I can think of is the fans make it seem nerdy with your figurines and your cos play and your posters and lifesize pillows in shape of a girl. But, seriously though, I don't see how it is nerdy I don't think it is.

Anime is even geeky in japan. Also I have no body pillows and I have never cosplayed before.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:57 am Reply with quote
Anime isn't nerdy -- it's just a medium, like any other.

Anime nerds are nerdy, of course -- but they'd find something else to be nerdy about, if they didn't have anime. There have always been social misfits with niche interests, and there always will be.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:29 am Reply with quote
I'd like to point out that we are all sitting around in an Internet anime forum, discussing whether or not anime is nerdy.

Just thought I'd point that out.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:40 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I'd like to point out that we are all sitting around in an Internet anime forum, discussing whether or not anime is nerdy.

Whoa, trippy! I'd never thought of it that way. Whoa....

- abunai
Have you ever looked at your hand, man? I mean, really looked at your hand?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheresaJayne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
Anime is NOT nerdy, Honest,
I dont spend days listening to anime theme tunes and wondering when i will get my Tsubaki cosplay outfit started...
Honest....

Theresa - A confirmed Onna Otaku
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:19 am Reply with quote
I thought any niche interest without an inherent requirement for social activity was classified as 'nerdy'?
bungeeapple

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Because in America, animation has never been taken seriously as a medium for telling a story aimed at anyone over 10. This alone is part of why it can never reach into the mainstream.

you've got a point there... and basically most of the subject/ theme in anime shows is not something the mainstream always accepts.
but you know, nerdy or not those things shouldn't matter right? Razz
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

This is the point I think; the "nerdy" types are the ones that will search far and wide for new/more anime, or at least watch enough of it to constitute going to a forum. I wouldn't really call myself "nerdy".. I mean I'm a professional musician and I guess with everything in my life I am pretty focused, which I guess means nerdy? I think "dedicated" or "passionate" are better words. I don't usually see people who watch some anime or you know are grey area, either they shun it or don't have any interest, or they're big fans and watch a lot (or at least mainstream releases or whatever they can watch).

I would also agree that for people that don't watch/aren't exposed to anime, they would have a tendency to (in a westernised society, anyway) consider it childish since most cartoons are aimed at children.

Anyways, having said all that, if I could find a big pillow on sale in australia with a cover that had Ami from Toradora, or CC from Code Geass, or Anemone from Eureka Seven or Yuki from Suzumiya Haruhi, or Tohsaka from Fate/Stay Night, or Nagi from Kannagi, or .. well that list could go on for ages, but yeah I would totally buy it. Cosplay is pretty lame usually, and I don't get the whole figurines thing, but giant cushy pillows with my favourite anime females.. sure some people would have enough shame to stop them from making the purchase, but I figure it's my room so I can be as much of a fanboy as I want in it. Plus a pillow with Nagi on it would be awesome.

Ok so it turns out I'm a complete anime nerd. All points invalidated. God damnit. lol.
Enjeru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
Just about every pop-culture fad or whatever has some sort of label attached to it. People who listen to punk music can be labeled as "punks" or people who like to get in fights, have mohawk style hair. People who listen to rap are considered by some to be gang-bangers and such. People who play sports are called "jocks". Of course all of these assumptions are unfair and are clearly stereotypes.
However, as stated before, there are people who take the things that they are into and go too far. Are there some people who listen to punk music that are "punks"? Of course. Could there be some people who are "gang bangers" who listen to rap. Certainly. And of course there are people who like anime that could be considered "nerds".
We live in a world where people label other people. That is simply a fact. That is not to say that we all are doing such things, but the majority of people do. People look at what others are wearing, how they style their hair, the music they listen to, the places they like to go during their free time, and instead of actually getting to know the person, they slap a label on them. This is because it is easier to them to do so than rather actually get to know the person and find out who they really are. Sad but true.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sentire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
I thought any niche interest without an inherent requirement for social activity was classified as 'nerdy'?
I think you just described every couch-potato out there! Gee... I never thought of it that way. I like that description!

"Anime" itself is not nerdy. To me it's no different than a TV program or movie in the respect that it's a form of entertainment. Instead of actors on screen, it's animated with voice-actors - which just so happens to be my preferred medium. It just isn't widely accepted into the mainstream. So are the viewers of anime nerdy? I'm sure many of us are.... probably whether we watch anime or not! Are we even "nerdier" for posting in an internet forum, especially if it's regarding "as to why anime is nerdy"? Hmmm.... maaaybe?!
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
Story time Children! gather round...

The first thing to make note of is that the crowd that watched anime was quite different a few years back.

In the 80's and early 90's, most anime fans were also sci-fi and fantasy fans. We were basically an off-shoot/little brother from the original comic book and sci fi crowd of the past, before anime fandom became it's own thing.

This however, was a healthy relationship. Most anime fans were also Star Wars Fans, or Trekkies as well, or just plain ol comic book geeks who found a new medium that catered to their interests.

Somewhere along the way, there stopped being as many of the old nerds (such as myself) taking interest in anime. Party because of a slight lack in sci fi and fantasy series (been a wee bit too many slice of life anime in the last 5 years) to gain their interests, but for a time their was a very real resentment in normal comic book society as they watched anime and manga overtake popularity as a medium from their comics and western sci fi shows.

Not too surprising that this happened in the 90's, which were the biggest decline in the comic book industry of all time.

But it seems however that the old nerd crowd or style of nerdy fans never came back to the anime fandom in such high numbers as they used to. Some stayed with western comics once they hit an upturn again. Some moved past anime since they felt there was no longer anything of value in it anymore. (who can blame them when shows like "Irresponsible Captain Tylor" don't get made anymore?)

Anime owes it's "nerd" reputation to the original founders of the anime fandom in the west. The comic nerds, the sci fi fantasy nerds, the D&D players and everything in between. The early adopters of anime who were looking for something new, something different. Something that broke the mold for what could be seen as animation or art.

That folks, is the history of anime fandom in the west. Wear your nerd title with pride. Cool

Last edited by Cyan Bloodbane on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:04 am; edited 2 times in total
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
...or Yuki from Suzumiya Haruhi...

You might want to check the pillow cases that come with the special editions of MoHS. Wink
For the record, mine are safely folded up and locked away in a little tin case on my shelf along with all of my other MoHS stuff. The tin case has a FMA print on it though (I got it free with volume 1 of Mushi-shi, some sort of special deal at HMV in London on that day Very Happy), so it's not the most discreet.

Quote:
I think you just described every couch-potato out there! Gee... I never thought of it that way. I like that description!

Thanks Smile
For me it's a good description of what constitutes nerdiness until someone provides a counter-example.
Like LARP.
Damn! Mad
I need to tweak my definition...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10