• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Need help with finding new Romance manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lance Wrongbow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Yup, I finished I"s and I'm looking for something along those lines, general romance-comedy manga, like I"s, Maison Ikkoku, Rough, etc. Some series that's like that, I'll probably enjoy.

And help is appreciated Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
You know, you only bumped your thread after one day. You have to give people some time here, especially in the manga forum, because the amount of user traffic going in and out of the manga forum is less than what the anime forum has to deal with. You have to be patient, let people wonder, and such. And if you really want people to consider looking at your post, make it a bit more lively and give people incentive to look at your post and respond back to you.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
You know, you only bumped your thread after one day. You have to give people some time here, especially in the manga forum, because the amount of user traffic going in and out of the manga forum is less than what the anime forum has to deal with. You have to be patient, let people wonder, and such. And if you really want people to consider looking at your post, make it a bit more lively and give people incentive to look at your post and respond back to you.

Then why didn't you suggest something? This thread is asking for suggestions, and here you post a "please be patient-answers pending.

I recommend Ranma 1/2. It's a martial arts comedy with romance elements and from the same creator as Maison Ikkoku. I highly advise you look up the info on it.
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga/.php?id=2436
It is a very good series overall.

Last edited by Youkai Warrior on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
Then why didn't you suggest something? This thread is asking for suggestions, and here you post a "please be patient-answers pending.

If you didn't know, bumping threads for the purpose of getting them attention is somewhat frowned upon here in the forums. Especially when the OP bumped it after the first day, that indicates somewhat of what the higher ups in the forums may see as impatience that we have going on here. I am not obligated to say anything, but I am trying to help out and point the OP in the right direction.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Youkai Warrior wrote:

If you didn't know, bumping threads for the purpose of getting them attention is somewhat frowned upon here in the forums. Especially when the OP bumped it after the first day, that indicates somewhat of what the higher ups in the forums may see as impatience that we have going on here. I am not obligated to say anything, but I am trying to help out and point the OP in the right direction.

Okay, so maybe it is, but you are changing the subject by telling Lance Wrongbow to wait patiently for answers. Instead of telling Lance to be patient, suggest something, this is what the thread is for. Get back on topic.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Backseat moderating is also frowned upon. If he bumped the post when he shouldn't have then report it to the mods, don't make matters worse by dragging the thread through the mud.

Now, let's get back on topic. If someone has a recommendation then post it here, if not, then the thread will simply fade in to obscurity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OtakuKate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
- It's not 100% romance, but Genshiken is one of the funniest manga I've ever read - it's got a very 'otaku' sense of humor - and Kanji and Oguie's romance is freaking adorable. ^^
- Ranma 1/2, as previously mentioned, is really fun. But really long. (It's Takahashi, so that's to be expected.)[/i]
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Another couple for the suggestion pile are Love Hina and Suzuka. Both series have very strong similarities to Maison Ikkoku, but with a little more of the fanservice-y kind of stuff you're used to seeing in I''s. Love Hina is basically Maison Ikkoku with a lot of extra girls thrown in the mix, and the love interest is a girl who may or may not be a friend from the lead's childhood that he's "fated to be with." Suzuka is basically Maison Ikkoku set in high school, with a track & field setting thrown on for garnish. Both have a lot of romantic hijinks, a lot of comedy, and a fair amount of fanservice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
My favorite romance manga-ka would be Kouji Seo. I would just go ahead and read Suzuka and The Town Where You Live. I would also check out Bitter Virgin, this is one of my favorite mangas and it's really sad. I also found Happy World!, to be good and quite sad towards the end. And finally I'd suggest Inu Neko Jump!, this is allot funnier than the others were, but I enjoyed the guffyness of it. That's all that I'd go out of my way to suggest.

OtakuKate wrote:
It's not 100% romance, but Genshiken is one of the funniest manga I've ever read - it's got a very 'otaku' sense of humor - and Kanji and Oguie's romance is freaking adorable. ^^

I agree. I loved everything about this series and I'd suggest it to anyone out there. The romance isnt a key part (in fact it's only present from time to time), but is still very well done. Every chapter of this series was amazing.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
If you liked I"s, it would be worth checking out Katsura's other series, especially Video Girl Ai. I personally prefer Shadow Lady, but I have an insane love for magical girls. Wink Tramps Like Us (AKA Kimi wa Pet) is josei, but it has a lot of similar romantic elements to Maison Ikkoku. And, well, if you like romance I would highly recommend Emma. Most of what you like is shonen, but for romance, Kaoru Mori is hard to beat. (Plus its totally devoid of shoujo love bubbles and is awesomely historically accurate. Very Happy )
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Another that I'd check out, if you have the time, is Watashitachi no Tamura-kun. It had a good story, and was quite a good drama. It's a bit short.
SirWence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Ai Yori Aoshi or Love attack or Chobits or even DearS or Oh My goddess (I dont mind magical girls either)

also Love hina and Ranma 1/2 and Video girl Ai are quite good suggestions as well
TicklemeTra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Hana-Kimi is a good comedy Manga.
a girl goes to an all boys school in japan to meet her favorite athlete. its quite a good one.

if your looking for more straight romance i'd say MARS or Peach Girl. there both out of print but you can but them online.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Kare Kano is a good choice for highschool romance/comedy , even though the comedy is mostly replaced by angst during the second half. Has a really likable female lead too.

Also been hearing good things about Love*Com, which I'll be reading soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1