• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Terms of Robot Warfare

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
Sazh kind of scares me, I somehow expect him to start dancing to some funky 70s disco beat any minute.

Anyone with a baby chocobo can't be bad, though. Wink

I have Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle, complete with a beat-up box and a manual with a rental store sticker on it. Cost me six bucks, and I'm glad to have it. Very Happy
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:
Of all things, why did they have to make .hack//Link canon? They'd done things without making them part of the .hack meta before... Yeah, seeing some old faces is nice, but thanks for completely retconning their personalities back to where they were at the beginning of their respective series for no discernable reason (at least, none thats been revealed yet). I'm holding hope that Bandai-Namco takes this mess and improves upon it.

It's also sad that Zoids Genesis made it into SRWK and not Zoids: Chaotic Century. Even Zoids Zero would've been preferable.

The SaGa 2 remake is cool though. Hopefully Odin won't be so annoying to beat this time through.

The new FF character reminds me of Chris Rock for some reason. I think it's the expression.

Man, I'm being too negative, I think. PUPPIES AND KITTIES!

Hi, Sopko. Fancy running into you in this neck of the interwebs. xD I thought that spiel about .hack sounded familiar!

Anyway...Really wish FFV or FFVI were being remade rather than SaGa, but I'm such a whore for Square I'll be jumping on this one in no time. Still really disappointed in FFXIII, though. Taking so blasted long it'll be the first generation since Final Fantasy's inception that we don't wind up with three. Sigh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I like the comments about Overman King Gainer, since the theme song is the sole reason I decided to watch it at some point. I don't even really care how good the show is...so long as I get to hear that theme song 26 times, I'm set. Very Happy

And that red-haired kid from the .hack game reminded me more of Ed from Cowboy Bebop than anything else, especially with those goggles.

And Shinji...with a real girlfriend? Shocked That almost sounds tolerable.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

And that red-haired kid from the .hack game reminded me more of Ed from Cowboy Bebop than anything else, especially with those goggles.

Goggles as a fashion accessory was so mid-1990s in America.
Just goes to show that even in the internet age, sometimes Japan is still 10 years behind America (like disco music back in their 1980s). Laughing

Top Gun wrote:

And Shinji...with a real girlfriend? Shocked That almost sounds tolerable.

Some gals can be quite desperate.... Laughing
KDRudy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Those Ranma games were interesting to play around with. It would be neat to see a Ranma resurgence and get a modern Ranma fighting game, they could have so much fun with it on modern system.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
As another thought, anyone else about had it with the dot hack franchise? It was an interesting idea at first, but I think it's overstayed its welcome. How many damn crises can this made-up MMORPG have, anyway? And why are kids still dumb enough (the kids in the in-game world) to play it despite all the weird shit they no doubt hear about?

Maybe I'm just bitter because I got stuck in the third game thanks to the brilliant idea to hunt down pieces of code to unlock mandatory levels -- and the hunting takes forever since the drop ratio is pretty crappy -- yeah, I was done with the franchise after that.
Subatomic Brainfreeze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
StickyToffeePopcorn wrote:
Quote:
"Yes, it's another new Super Robot Wars game, this time with a K! It's also going to be the first title in the series built from scratch for the DS..."

Was W developed for GBA first or something?

W was kind of a quickie job, with most of its playable units and the basic systems coming directly from the last GBA game. SRW rule: Banpresto's first game for a system is always a quickie cash-in. That's why it won't pay to be excited about a potential current-gen (ie. PS3 or 360) version of SRW until one has already come out. They'll just upscale some other game.

And right now, Z is certainly the SRW game to get. It's not just an outstanding SRW game, it's an outstanding videogame. I bet they'll port it to the PS3 with upscaled graphics for a quickie cash-in. Mark my words.

Quote:
Aww, still no Gurren Lagann in SRW?

Rights are tied up with Takara/Konami (Bandai's mortal toy company enemy) and the show is still way too new. Won't happen for another three or four years, if at all.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Part of me wonders if, with the licensing nightmares, SRW would EVER be feasible as a release over here. I mean, even if the game was cleared with the game companies, you'd have to get the original animation rights holders and the US distributors to put their stamp of approval on it...plus, with the Veritechs and such being in the games, Harmony Gold would go "LOL NO" because they're still bitches.

...so yeah, at least I can possibly play this SRW without needing like a mod chip or something. Anyone else think chibi-Godannar is strangely adorable?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
If any RPG needs a remake/port, it's Romancing SaGa 2.

I only ever played the third FF Legend game (thanks to a kind friend I lost contact with) and found the changing into monster thing kind of strange. Still it was a good romp of an adventure and the music was always catchy.

I remember seeing scans of Ranma fighter games in ancient magazines I no longer own. I thought it was interesting having a panda or a girl who called herself Shampoo be in a fighter game. Of course, I also did not know much about anime at the time, but I got accustomed to the art style.
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Hunter Sopko wrote:
The new FF character reminds me of Chris Rock for some reason. I think it's the expression.

I was thinking Richard Pryor

Yoshinori Kitase said his design is actually based off of Lionel Richie.
But as the for the whole Barret swearing a lot in FFVII, I heard that was actually only put in the english translation, because of his resemblance to a certain icon who pities the fool.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Dragonball: The Movie: The Game will play better the Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game since look pretty much a like. :p

As for the Ranma 1/2/Street Combat, I did rent it and didn't care for it, but I did found the Shampoo clone, Lita, cute.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
aluria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Good ol' Ranma 1/2. Never played the game myself but I own the InuYasha clone of it release for Playstation. InuYasha: A Feudal Fairytale was lucky enough to make it over here with the Japanese voices intact. Its a good game to play for laughs for about 5minutes until one person is sick of being stuck in a corner the entire match.

Good times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
yea the ranma 1/2 game was horrible, plus the controls were really bad. on the plus side tho, in the game came with some pages from ranma 1/2 vol. 1 manga to tell the story.
Wellness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
One of my earliest introductions to anime was seeing a preview for Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle.

Down the road, I actually wanted to pick up the sequel when I saw it advertised but could never find it. Now I know why I could never find it. Heh, a shame it looked pretty good back in the day.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Part of me wonders if, with the licensing nightmares, SRW would EVER be feasible as a release over here. I mean, even if the game was cleared with the game companies, you'd have to get the original animation rights holders and the US distributors to put their stamp of approval on it...plus, with the Veritechs and such being in the games, Harmony Gold would go "LOL NO" because they're still bitches.

...so yeah, at least I can possibly play this SRW without needing like a mod chip or something. Anyone else think chibi-Godannar is strangely adorable?

You've played Original Generation 1&2, right? Original Generations and OG: Gaiden should have been okay too, but I guess it's too late to hope for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3