• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Legend of Zelda –Ocarina of Time– GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crystal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:
Showsni wrote:
It's generally only Nintendo games that have Link mute (bar AoL); he talks in cartoons, comics, manga, CYOA books, the odd commercial, cereal boxes and the first two Philip's games.

The Philip's CDI games and tv show... ugh... don't remind me of that...

I was thinking of buying this, but after reading the review and looking at my fiancial status, I still I should do a pass at this series.

If you're a fan of the games, I actually think it's pretty good. That's why I thought the review did justice even though I like this manga.

I'm surprised how many "Youtube Poops" have come out of those games.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this was written in Japan a looooong time ago. I remember reading it online and thinking it was the lamest thing I'd ever read. Actually, given how he befriends the girls (who DID have diverse personalities in the game) I didn't figure him for a brash shonen hero, but he's always realized that way. I mean, he's not really supposed to have a personality, but I always thought of him as a tender, naiive little guy, not Naruto.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
No thread about the Zelda manga is complete without an obligatory link to this Amazon customer review.

WARNING: Make sure all drinks are well out of reach before reading that. Otherwise your computer may end up drenched by a sudden spray of spittle coming forth from your mouth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
^ *roffles out the door* Yikes, I'm supposed to be working! Shocked (Naw, I got all my work done. I LOVE that review. They should keep it for eternal posterity on that page.)

Seriously, I know a lot of girls who tell me that dumb page that says STOP! DON'T BEGIN HERE in their manga is useless, aaaaand apparently they're wrong. Anime hyper
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
No thread about the Zelda manga is complete without an obligatory link to this Amazon customer review.

WARNING: Make sure all drinks are well out of reach before reading that. Otherwise your computer may end up drenched by a sudden spray of spittle coming forth from your mouth.

Om Em Gee. That was HILARIOUS! XDDDDDDDDDDD

As for this manga, well I can't say I really like the whole Zelda franchise anymore, but there is one scene that was sweet to me and I'll never forget it. spoiler[Link crying over the dragon Volvagia after killing him and the dragon saying his name when he remembered they were friends as children.]

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Wow, this was written in Japan a looooong time ago. I remember reading it online and thinking it was the lamest thing I'd ever read. Actually, given how he befriends the girls (who DID have diverse personalities in the game) I didn't figure him for a brash shonen hero, but he's always realized that way. I mean, he's not really supposed to have a personality, but I always thought of him as a tender, naiive little guy, not Naruto.

They could have turned it into a harem deal. Be thankful...
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
I have both this, the second volume and the Japanese volume of Majora Mask and I love them all, but I also think this review is very fair. It's not for everybody, and I honestly think you have to be a fan of the games (like me) to really enjoy them as they come. They are great for eye candy and for viewing the games through another perspective, but not much else.

JesuOtaku wrote:

That was one thing I also remember having to really get over. Link's personality, since he was a mute in the games, was diversly intertrapable. I always saw him as a sweet, helpful, serious, but daring and heroic young boy and not the brash shounen hero. Either way is easy to make up for the game Link though and after replaying it, I could see why they would go for that particular way since it makes for a much easier story telling style. Adult Link was harder to get over, since he seems to still be the brash shounen hero after the skip and in the games I got that serious, cool, but caring man. Still, both have their charms. It's one of those things were you have to find the line of when and when not to relate them to one another.
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
I don't know if he's so much of a shounen hero after he becomes a teenager.
sfried

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
I've read the fan-translation of this before. I hope they did not censor anything like in the Pokemon ones.

I also found Zelda:OoT significantly easy by abusing the jump-slash. But I thought Majora's Mask was an improvement difficulty-wise.

And yes, technically Link is a harem leader (he is, just like in the game, trying to be empathetic towards its audience), only he isn't some pathetic dork out for wish fullfillment.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
I've read the fan-translation of this before. I hope they did not censor anything like in the Pokemon ones.

I also found Zelda:OoT significantly easy by abusing the jump-slash. But I thought Majora's Mask was an improvement difficulty-wise.

And yes, technically Link is a harem leader (he is, just like in the game, trying to be empathetic towards its audience), only he isn't some pathetic dork out for wish fullfillment.

Are you talking about the Toshiro Ono Pokemon manga? That one had no choice but to be censored if they wanted to release it for kids. Zelda had no real objectionable content to begin with, so I think it's alright (I didn't see any difference).
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I would buy this if every single panel on every single page had Navi saying HEY! LISTEN!

Same here. That would make an interesting converstation between a couple of friends and me.

Although the artwork is quite lush and well drawn, the story would be more interesting if the work was longer.
The Risky Penguin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And needless to say, it should come to no surprise that the supporting cast of characters is even less interesting than Link.

Really? that disappoints me. I figure that Link might not have much of a personality since on purpose in the video games they make him not have one so the player can feel like they are the hero themselves. Nevertheless, having the characters that have a personality in the game, not really being interesting is just sad Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
The idea of OoT Link being portrayed as a stereotypical brash shounen hero is a really strange one to me. I know that Link is intentionally portrayed as a (nearly) silent protagonist in the game, but his facial expressions and mannerisms made him come across as the quiet and unassuming type, with a concealed inner strength. I don't think I'd want to view him any other way.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:37 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The idea of OoT Link being portrayed as a stereotypical brash shounen hero is a really strange one to me. I know that Link is intentionally portrayed as a (nearly) silent protagonist in the game, but his facial expressions and mannerisms made him come across as the quiet and unassuming type, with a concealed inner strength. I don't think I'd want to view him any other way.

Let me riddle you this: would Crono be nearly as charming if they adapted the story and forced him to talk? There was something about him that separated him from other mute heroes -- despite not talking, he had way more personality than half of the also-rans of old JRPGs.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Let me riddle you this: would Crono be nearly as charming if they adapted the story and forced him to talk? There was something about him that separated him from other mute heroes -- despite not talking, he had way more personality than half of the also-rans of old JRPGs.

Hell if I know...I've never played Chrono Trigger before. Razz (Though I did get the DS port for Christmas.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3