• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you want more muscular females?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animeboy12

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
I just recently finished an anime ova called iron virgin jun. I found it at best meh..... but the one thing that stood out to me was that the lead female character was really muscular, a little too muscular at times though.

This many seem like a small thing but it's hard to find many fighter/warrior women that actually look like they can face those towering men they dispatch so easily. Ikki tousen is a good example, regarding of your opinion of it, I think everyone can a agree that there a huge difference between how the male are design, muscular and bulky, and the females, thin and curvy, which wouldn't be a problem but something always felt a little off too me when the fights were male vs female.

Most of the time when an anime has a physical strong character they usually have short hair, wear tomboyish clothing, carry a weapon around, are the the silent type or, strangely enough even though I don't complain about this one, have big breasts. I main issue in that none of these traits translate a being physical strong.

I understand that there good reasons why there aren't many muscular females, not everyone's cup of tea, risking of making character too muscular, probably would be hard to animate well considering the detail, most anime value brains over brawn but I think what you get in return in a strong more believable female character.

That's why one favorite artist is Tsukasa Jun, mainly because he draw muscular women so well like this. I wish more character designers would emulate his style.

long story short I wanna know if other people want more built female characters

so far the characters I know are
Balsa- Seirei no Moribito(kinda)
Elle Ragu- Shadow Skill(very)
okoi- Basilisk(very, but has little screen time)
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
There's also Genie from Rune Soldier. It's hard to name other examples because it IS rare.

I guess it's for the same reason most anime men have only a lightly-muscled build -- Japanese standards of what's attractive. Of course, there's some exceptions (Gene Starwind was surprisingly buff for a hero in a shonen series), but yeah, most characters are thin or have little muscle. Also bear in mind that it isn't just in Japan -- in America and several other countries, women who have too much muscle aren't considered sexy or attractive.

Personally I don't dig girls with bulging biceps, though.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I suppose it would be more balanced if they did, just don't take it to Project A-Ko like levels with that Mari (if that was her name) character. Personally I like all types of bodies on women; be it short, tall, fat, skinny, etc. But, for everything out there is such a thing as 'too much'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not bothered by a slender but strong female in an anime. But that's just me. I'm more upset by the lack of strong (personality) female leads, you know like the Major from Ghost in the Shell. I think the way that females are depicted in anime are just a part of the common art style. The notion is that it's more appealing to the viewer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
I'm not bothered by a slender but strong female in an anime. But that's just me. I'm more upset by the lack of strong (personality) female leads, you know like the Major from Ghost in the Shell. I think the way that females are depicted in anime are just a part of the common art style. The notion is that it's more appealing to the viewer.

Series with strong female leads or main characters aren't THAT uncommon.

Lemme rattle off a few examples:

GITS (obvious)

Magic Knight Rayearth (it has not one but THREE femme leads)

Escaflowne (she may not be physically strong...but Hitomi's strong in other ways, no spoilers here)

Bubblegum Crisis (four female leads)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Don't forget Armitage III or Battle Angel there. It appears being made of synthetic materials indeed boosts one's fighting ability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Mushi-Man wrote:

Series with strong female leads or main characters aren't THAT uncommon.

GITS (obvious)

Magic Knight Rayearth (it has not one but THREE femme leads)

Escaflowne (she may not be physically strong...but Hitomi's strong in other ways, no spoilers here)

Bubblegum Crisis (four female leads)

I guess you have a point there. It's just that I'm always annoyed by the weak female lead that doesn't really do anything. You know what i mean?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Hayao Miyazaki has a rep for having strong-willed, independent anime heroines in some of his animated works due to his strong feminist beliefs. Good examples of characters from his works are Nausicaa, San from Princess Mononoke, and Fio Piccolo, the granddaughter of Porco's airplane mechanic from Porco Rosso. Miyazaki is in strong opposition of the entire moe craze that has taken a storm in popularity in recent years because it has resulted in the creation of female anime characters who are too submissive and lack any strong and resourceful traits to counter the traditional gender roles of women.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
As Spike from Cowboy Bebop: The Movie puts it, "I love a woman that can kick my ass.". Laughing

As for strong female leads, mentaly or physically, they're a dime a dozen. The kind you're looking for though is a little less prevolent though. You could look at it from a biological perspect and explain the lack of them by noting one key thing: women naturally don't build up as much muscle mass as guys do. Becomming Miss Universe requires the right kind of body type, genetics, and a serious commitment to bulk themself up. That being said you don't have to be Miss Universe to be an effective female athlete/warrior. There's martial-arts like Judo that rely on speed and flexibillity rather than strength which allow you throw or otherwise incompacitate pretty much anybody as long as they're human.

As for females you don't want to mess with, I'd direct you first to the cast of Claymore all of which could take your head off (and look very good doing it) not to mention they're all fit if not muscular.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
As Spike from Cowboy Bebop: The Movie puts it, "I love a woman that can kick my ass.". Laughing

As for strong female leads, mentaly or physically, they're a dime a dozen. The kind you're looking for though is a little less prevolent though. You could look at it from a biological perspect and explain the lack of them by noting one key thing: women naturally don't build up as much muscle mass as guys do. Becomming Miss Universe requires the right kind of body type, genetics, and a serious commitment to bulk themself up. That being said you don't have to be Miss Universe to be an effective female athlete/warrior. There's martial-arts like Judo that rely on speed and flexibillity rather than strength which allow you throw or otherwise incompacitate pretty much anybody as long as they're human.

As for females you don't want to mess with, I'd direct you first to the cast of Claymore all of which could take your head off (and look very good doing it) not to mention they're all fit if not muscular.

Also, the two chicks in Noir use their guns and brains to get out of tough situations, which can be sexier than brawn. =D
blooregardo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
mmmhh, what about the characters in Mai Otome?
they' re strong, fight and save the planet you know. And yumemiya Arika, she's even nekketsu as i see...
Chaos42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
yes but most are powerless with out their robes

i find that muscular females isn't the main draw it more athletic-ie not dansal in destress who can't do anything

i just don't want charaterse like relenna peacecraft or other princesses who don't fight and just sit on the side lines-i get realy board that way
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
Wow, even non-fangirls hate her. THAT is a true testament to character spite.
Chaos42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:04 am Reply with quote
i just couldn't stand her preaching constantly and not doing anything about it -except surrendering

after a while I've found people like ideals but they don't lissen=ie half the things i say to people are ignored =so you have to BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THEM to make sure their lissening sometime-its why i like the celestial being theory of world peace
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
True but Gundam 00 also has Marina Ishmail who spoiler[basically has the same attitude as Relena and hasn't done anything to take a stand against the ALAWS. However, season 2 is only half over with so there's still room for improvement, plus she wasn't as preachy either.] Never had any problem with Relena though I will say I'm a realist and find the concept of total pacifism impossible though. Would be nice if it would work but sadly I know know human nature too well and it isn't happening anytime soon. Nice in fiction, unbelievable in practice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2