• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
need some new anime ideas

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm new to anime and so far have seen the essentials but I'm looking for something new. I have seen Trigun, DB, Evangellion, Gundam Wing. Any ideas?

EDIT: And what exactly is the difference between Manga and Anime?
rektagunn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Welcome Thock.

First off, I would check the Lexicon section to get the definitions of anime and manga. Here it is: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php

As for recommendations, you seem to be fond of action series with some comedy and mecha elements. I recommend Nadesico.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:12 am Reply with quote
Well, you really can't go wrong with Cowboy Bebop and if you like your gore plenty, your body parts flying and your blood spraying by the bucket full I would recommend Ninja Scroll (movie). Also check out Escaflowne since it is a must see masterpiece and since you've seen Evangelion you might as well as check out RahXephon too. And why not throw in a little Outlaw Star for a good measure?

That should keep you busy for a week at least.
Thock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:08 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the suggestions, I've been hearing alot about Cowboy Beebop so I will check that out next. I also like to play D&D, does anyone know of some good fantasy styled anime with like wizards and dragons and such?
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:13 am Reply with quote
Looking for something new or "newer"? well it depends on your tastes and from what i have read on your post, i would recommend these somewhat recent goodies;

1. Sadamitsu the Destroyer
2.GunGrave (from the makers of triggun.)
3.Hellsing (if your into the blade vampire hunting genres)
4.Z.O.E. Idolo
5.Saiyuki (almost like DBZ, but i like this one much better.)
6.Heat guy J (a somewhat high conceptual crime thriller in the tradition of Robocop and bebop.)
7.Gatchaman 94 (One of nime's greatest superheroesque titles.)
8.Last Exile (fantasy epic with gorgoeus animation and music.)
9.Gunparade march (This is my answer to the seminal effort that is Blue Gender.)
10.Gadgaurd looks interesting based on the trailer, but i suggest you wait for upcoming reviews.

and speaking of reviews, check out Ann's review section to at least get an idea of what may be recommended anime viewing.

Happy hunting. Cool
Toboe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:00 am Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:

Gungrave is not "from the makers of triggun". It has character designs by the man responsible for Trigun, Yasuhiro Nightow. That's it. There are no other connections between the two. Gungrave is also not an action series; it's a drama. The first episode features Beyond the Grave killing zombies and then you don't see him again for another 18 episodes or so, so don't buy this one expecting it to be Trigun 2.

Don't buy it expecting it to be good, either. Yuck.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:20 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the forums Thock-san! Very Happy

As for some suggestions to some new anime for you, there are too many for me to really think of, but I'll post what I can for now.

Berserk - This is probably #5 or 6 on my all-time list. As kamiboy-sama said, it's full of gore and violence. But aside from that, what makes this title so great is that masterpiece of a story. I won't delve into this too much as I can't really say much, or else it'll spoil the story. But you you should definately put this on your "to watch" list. Oh yeah, the dub is pretty good too, though I prefer it in Japanese.

Cowboy Bebop - A definate title you must check out. Almost every anime fan has at least seen this. Great music, great animation, and one of the best dubs I've ever heard (maybe even the best.) If you like sci-fi action with a good mix of drama, a little comedy, and some of the best characters you'll ever find, Bebop is the way to go. 26 episodes, and don't forget to check out the movie, which is supposed to take place between episodes 22 and 23.

GTO/Great Teach Onizuka - This ranks #2 on my all-time list. In case you're not familiar with the genre, this show is catergorized as a "Slice of Life" anime. These kinds of anime portray what you would call "real life" situations.

This show in particular is about a guy by the name of Eikichi Onizuka. He want's to become the greatest teacher ever and decides to take a shot at the job. I won't reveal too much, but let's just say being a 22 year old former biker gang leader, and now 9th grade teacher has a very surprising course of events. The drama is very well written, and the comedy is plentiful and downright hilarious.

However, if you do watch this, I beg that you watch it in Japanese first. The voices and dialogue are just absolultely fitting for this kind of show. The dub really miscasts their voices and also recylces a lot of the actors. Not to mention they edited many of the jokes and Americanized a Japanese script to better suit American viewers (which I think is horrible.)

Anyway, please check this out, and I guarantee you'll like it in Japanese. 43 episodes, and there is also a live action version that's 13 episodes and one TV special (there's also a movie, but it really stinks.)

I have some homework to do, so that's all for now. Wink
captain_bolo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:37 am Reply with quote
Thock wrote:
I also like to play D&D, does anyone know of some good fantasy styled anime with like wizards and dragons and such?

Record of Lodoss War has dragons and knights and what-not. You might want to try that if your not already bogged down with recommendations.
Confused_Killer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:38 am Reply with quote
Thock wrote:
I'm new to anime and so far have seen the essentials but I'm looking for something new. I have seen Trigun, DB, Evangellion, Gundam Wing. Any ideas?

EDIT: And what exactly is the difference between Manga and Anime?

Well, I don't know if you would like these, but they are all pretty good! Smile

1. Serial Experiments Lain
2. RahXephon
3. Rurouni Kenshin
4. Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal (best film ever)
5. Naruto (it's mostly a manga, the anime has not been dubbed yet)
6. Peace Maker Kurogane (it's new, and really good if you're a samurai/ninja or Kenshin fan)

Hope those were some good suggestions, and also, welcome to the message boards, I'm new too! Anime catgrin
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:45 am Reply with quote
captain_bolo wrote:
Record of Lodoss War has dragons and knights and what-not. You might want to try that if your not already bogged down with recommendations.

Darn. You beat me to it. I regard Record of Lodoss War to be one of my favorite fantasy animes. Yes Thock, Lodoss is also a good start. There's actually an OAV and TV series, but they're pretty different from what I hear (haven't seen the TV series yet.)

Also, let me suggest Vision of Escaflowne. It's a very cool mix of fantasy and mecha. The story is pretty emotional at times and the soundtracks is one my favorites. The dub is OK too, I think, but a lot more people (including myself) prefer the subbed version. There is also a movie, but it's much more different than the series. I would suggest you possibly watch it before the series. The characters go much more in depth in the TV series, but I think the movie has a decent sentimental value once you find out how things really went.

Rurouni Kenshin is my all-time favorite series (up to episode 62, anyway.) It's a story of a man who was once known as the greatest assasin during the days of the Bakumatsu (Japanese civil war, I guess would be a good paraphrase.) But after the war, he mysteriously disppeared, but is rumored to have long red hair and a cross-shaped scar on his left cheek.

One day this wandering swordsman (Kenshin Himura) meets this girl (Kaoru Kamiya) who is looking to capture this fabled man, and he happens to fit the description. However, given his frail, almost female, body structure and clumsy movments, he couldn't be the legendary manslayer, could he? In fact, he even carries a reverse-bladed sword as to not harm anyone.

Anyway, without saying too much more, these two eventally become friends and encoutner a few more along the way. Basically, the series is about their adventures together, but Kenshin's past (a dark one at that) eventually cathces up to him, which is what makes it so fun to watch.

If you like Meiji era atmospheres, lots of sword fighting and martial arts, but not with a whole lot of over the top magic, then Kenshin is the title for you.

I'm short on time right now, so I'll add to this later. Wink
Thock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the help. I think I have more than enough to get started on now.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:
the_soultaker wrote:

Gungrave is not "from the makers of triggun". It has character designs by the man responsible for Trigun, Yasuhiro Nightow. That's it. There are no other connections between the two. Gungrave is also not an action series; it's a drama. The first episode features Beyond the Grave killing zombies and then you don't see him again for another 18 episodes or so, so don't buy this one expecting it to be Trigun 2.

Don't buy it expecting it to be good, either. Yuck.

The storyline basically explains the origins of Brandon Heat(Grave) and his best friend Harry Mc Dowell who rose from the slums to being in the employ of a mafiaso syndicate.

spoiler[Harry turns on his friend Brandon and kills him, afterwards Brandon is revived as a killing machine. his main motive...Vengence.]

Being a fan of the PS2 game, the anime did not excatly live up to my expectations. (Same goes for beserk, another cool videogame becomes a semi disapointing anime series.)
but nonetheless it was a decent crime drama. i haven't seen the recent epidsodes (18) that you are refering about, but Geneon will release them starting in july.

I personally like some of CPM's rereleased titles like Sprit Warrior Kujaku, Cyber city odedo, etc. It reminds me of the good ol' days of OVAs. (now the more recent anime as far as i know, is taken directly from epidsodic TV Series. Confused )
With all recommended titles i suggest one tries, before s/he buys. Wink

Last edited by the_soultaker on Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Thock wrote:
Thank you for the help. I think I have more than enough to get started on now.

Too much for one time, eh? Good, my job is done. Good luck on your viewings. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1