• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grgspunk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
Unusually severe problems? Loli got your tongue? I can't really believe that this site doesn't have some sort of bias gainst moe either. I mean, Answerman can be a dick to moe fans, and I don't see a lot of other moe titles (sometimes equal in quality as Strawberry Marshmallow) get as good reviews compared to those that get rated unusually low ratings, especially compared to other anime review sites. You think one good review is enough?

ANN doesn't just have one reviewer. They have like five... I think. Anyway, it's Carl's review and thus it comes with Carl's opinion. To echo a previous poster, if you have a problem with it, let's see your review of the series.

If you're making advertising money attracting visitors with your reviews, then you'd better damn well make sure they're informative and worth reading. I don't believe any review site deserves to earn its money if it doesn't take the effort to create a satisfying review.

Last edited by grgspunk on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:20 pm; edited 5 times in total
Shockz0rz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:20 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
nargun wrote:

Nanoha. Has. Problems. Unusually severe problems, even for shows in its genre. This review reflects that.

Indeed, first season anyhow. Again, this is why I want to see Carl review A's, where many of these problems are corrected. Even as the first season progressed there was a definite push away from the conventions it established at the start. A's continues that push away and the franchise overall is nothing like how it originally started.

Indeed. Though with the attitude he seemed to have towards this first season, one gets the feeling he'll have made up his mind by the end of the OP sequence of A's. (Which is one of the greatest OPs ever, IMO.)

Carl's not wrong in saying Nanoha is shameless otaku pandering. But I guess I'm just the exact kind of otaku (well, minus the whole lolicon thing) being pandered to. I thought the story in season 1 was solid, if not exactly excellent (again, wait 'till A's), and it's difficult not to like Nanoha and Fate. (Carl did have a point that Nanoha's whole pondering on the nature of love and friendship seems a little mature for a nine-year-old, but again--didn't really bother me.) And like I said--the fanservice really didn't seem as bad as it could've been, although maybe that's because I went in expecting the worst. And...well, I guess I just like it.

I mean, seriously. Magic laser-beam-spamming mode-shifting intelligent weapons. If that doesn't trigger "holybleepthisisawesome" mode in your brain, the upgrade in A's (Cartridges! You reload 'em! Like SHOTGUNS!!) ought to.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:24 am Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
If you're making advertising money attracting visitors with your reviews, then you'd better damn well make sure they're informative and worth reading. I don't believe any review site deserves to earn its money if it doesn't take the effort to create a satisfying review.
Quite, so come on, show us a "satisfying review"of your own. Convince me that I want to see this.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:28 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
grgspunk wrote:
Quite, so come on, show us a "satisfying review"of your own. Convince me that I want to see this.

"Satifying" as in he shows that he understands the show, shows a degree of objectivity, retains a neutral tone and has opinions based on "facts" rather than "preferences". But you probably wouldn't understand that.
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:31 am Reply with quote
Well, it's not like the whole overly-mature preteen girls idea is a new thing. Be it the cast of Cardcaptor Sakura, or Yuzuyu from Aishiteruze Baby, or even Sailor Moon's Chibi-Usa, anime's littered with young girls who have more complex thoughts on relationship issues than most adult women I've known, so I don't see why this is being highlighted now. Maybe it's just nitpicking.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:34 am Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
grgspunk wrote:

"Satifying" as in he shows that he understands the show, shows a degree of objectivity, retains a neutral tone and has opinions based on "facts" rather than "preferences". But you probably wouldn't understand that.
You're not duck'n and dive'n are you?
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:35 am Reply with quote
2DOtaku wrote:
Well, it's not like the whole overly-mature preteen girls idea is a new thing. Be it the cast of Cardcaptor Sakura, or Yuzuyu from Aishiteruze Baby, or even Sailor Moon's Chibi-Usa, anime's littered with young girls who have more complex thoughts on relationship issues than most adult women I've known, so I don't see why this is being highlighted now. Maybe it's just nitpicking.

That would be because Nanoha takes the maturity of children to unbelievable extremes. If they had established at the beginning of the series that Nanoha was 12 years old, this series would be more believable, but even then, Nanoha would still sound too mature then her age suggests. Her world outlook is far too advanced for a nine-year-old girl.
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:38 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:

That would be because Nanoha takes the maturity of children to unbelievable extremes. If they had established at the beginning of the series that Nanoha was 12 years old, this series would be more believable, but even then, Nanoha would still sound too mature then her age suggests. Her world outlook is far too advanced for a nine-year-old girl.

Have you watched Sailor Moon? Chibi-Usa's thought process is nothing short of poetic sometimes, and she's what, five?
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:43 am Reply with quote
2DOtaku wrote:
Splitter wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:

Have you watched Sailor Moon? Chibi-Usa's thought process is nothing short of poetic sometimes, and she's what, five?

I've tried watching it, and I didn't like what I saw. Hearing this, I doubt my chances of ever returning to it.

Note: For a confident nine-year-old magical girl who acts like a nine-year-old and doesn't exist for otaku pandering, watch Cardcaptor Sakura.
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:49 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:
Splitter wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:

I've tried watching it, and I didn't like what I saw. Hearing this, I doubt my chances of ever returning to it.

Note: For a confident nine-year-old magical girl who acts like a nine-year-old and doesn't exist for otaku pandering, watch Cardcaptor Sakura.

I have. Cardcaptor Sakura is my all-time favourite anime. Very Happy

But to be perfectly honest with you, I think the characters in that act pretty mature as well sometimes. Take for example the scene where spoiler[Sakura confesses her feelings to Yukito, and Yukito in turn turns her down, but in doing so reassures her that he isn't treating her like a child by disregarding her feelings for him]. To cite one example of the many I could.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:49 am Reply with quote
I'll totally grant Carl the fact that most magical girl shows are kind of the same. That said . . . that one show that every one of them is? I love it ^_______^ I have no interest in lolicon or moe or anything of that nature, I just like to watch magical girls beat up bad guys and talk about the power of friendship. Oh, and have tentative romances with their classmates. I love that part.

I've wanted to watch Nanoha for ages simply because 1. it's mahou shoujo and 2. the character designs in A's look pretty cool, but I need to see the first season first. I'm probably going to rent this through Netflix, but I will definitely buy it if it's really filled with as many magical girl genre tropes as Carl promises. Actually, I'm excited about this mecha aspect I keep hearing about, as that sounds like something a little different from what I usually watch in terms of mahou shoujo (I watch a lot of Gundam with my fiance, but generally the giant robots and the magical girls are separate in our house).
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote
2DOtaku wrote:
Splitter wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:
Splitter wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:

But to be perfectly honest with you, I think the characters in that act pretty mature as well sometimes. Take for example the scene where spoiler[Sakura confesses her feelings to Yukito, and Yukito in turn turns her down, but in doing so reassures her that he isn't treating her like a child by disregarding her feelings for him]. To cite one example of the many I could.

But that's at least believable. Sakura doesn't go well beyond her years in any inner monologues and remains truthful to her age bracket, assumed knowledge, and thoughts regarding how to approach the subject.

Nanoha, by comparison, has an unusually strong sense of conviction, a no-nonsense "tough love" policy that isn't even hinted at in the slightest in the first half of Season 1, and speaks so lucidly I refuse to believe she's actually nine.
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:
Splitter wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:
Splitter wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:

But that's at least believable. Sakura doesn't go well beyond her years in any inner monologues and remains truthful to her age bracket, assumed knowledge, and thoughts regarding how to approach the subject.

Nanoha, by comparison, has an unusually strong sense of conviction, a no-nonsense "tough love" policy that isn't even hinted at in the slightest in the first half of Season 1, and speaks so lucidly I refuse to believe she's actually nine.

Well, I suppose that's just partly why I love CCS so much, is that although the relationships are so complex, they are still believable, even spoiler[Rika's engagement to Terada-sensei], although if I remember rightly that was only ever shown explicitly in the manga and only hinted at in the anime. Guess they decided to tone it down a notch. Well, I'll need to check Nanoha out now, see how she compares to Chibi-Usa. Heh, I can vaguely remember having to reassure myself of how old she's meant to be.
Shockz0rz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
la_contessa wrote:
I'll totally grant Carl the fact that most magical girl shows are kind of the same. That said . . . that one show that every one of them is? I love it ^_______^ I have no interest in lolicon or moe or anything of that nature, I just like to watch magical girls beat up bad guys and talk about the power of friendship. Oh, and have tentative romances with their classmates. I love that part.

I've wanted to watch Nanoha for ages simply because 1. it's mahou shoujo and 2. the character designs in A's look pretty cool, but I need to see the first season first. I'm probably going to rent this through Netflix, but I will definitely buy it if it's really filled with as many magical girl genre tropes as Carl promises. Actually, I'm excited about this mecha aspect I keep hearing about, as that sounds like something a little different from what I usually watch in terms of mahou shoujo (I watch a lot of Gundam with my fiance, but generally the giant robots and the magical girls are separate in our house).

Don't misunderstand--there aren't any actual giant robots. What it is is that the fights take far more inspiration from, say, Gundam than they do from the magical girl genre. (The creator even openly admitted that Nanoha's design--particularly the color scheme--was inspired by Gundam.)
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:08 am Reply with quote
Having heard great things about Nanoha I thought about getting the DVDs, but upon seeing a screenshot emphasizing Nanoha's panties I had second thoughts and by hearing about the transformation sequence I have decided not to pick this up.

I don't find fanservice with 9 year olds sexy I find it disturbing. Hell I found Card Captor Sakura to be disturbing simply because of the student teacher relationship that CLAMP tried to sell me as true love but came off more like Sakura's teachers are pedophiles.

Is ANN biased against moe? I find it hard to decide simply because Moe is frequently badly written. Several series such as DearS, and Moetan use fanservice not as a bonus but as the main course and have a series where the male lead is no different from the male lead of any other show.

The result is that you have several series with the same jokes you saw from the previous series told over and over again. Some people like Ken Akamatsu actively try to avoid it but frequently you see writers who simply don't care.

One of my favorite mangas is Negima, but that shows just how hard it is to write moe when the anime adaptations have sucked. Negi's quest to find his father is always downsized, the action is frequently removed and it tries to turn an excellent shonen action into a poor man's version of Love Hina.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13