• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Viz Signature Line Now and the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:
Also, due to money problems at my home, I'm restorting to having to sell some of my manga and a decent chunk of my anime. So, I'm not sure whether to sell either Cat Eyed Boy, Uzumaki (I'm thinking of selling it to a friend who likes the series), or solanin when I'm finished with it and if I didn't like it much.

... You've only read one chapter and are already thinking of SELLING Solanin?!

Anyway, I can't see it gaining much money.

Quote:
On a pleasant note, Amazon has the official cover art for the english release of 20th Century Boys Vol. 1-2. They look decent. However, I don't get why Viz has to sell each volume of the series, including Pluto and Oishinbo, for $12.99. That's a waste of my money for series I'm interested in.

The volumes are larger, the pages are better stock, the printing is better, you're receiving color pages... So what's the problem?
Agoston

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
The volumes are larger, the pages are better stock, the printing is better, you're receiving color pages... So what's the problem?

Wait wait wait, color pages? Is it just the first few pages of each volume or the entire thing? I'm guessing it's the former but if it was the entire thing holy crap I'd be so excited! Also, is this the same for both 20th Century Boys and Pluto?
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:
Wait wait wait, color pages? Is it just the first few pages of each volume or the entire thing?

Possibly whatever was in color for the Japanese magazine release. I know that that's the case for Real, and Viz also gave the same treatment for Tekkon Kinkreet (though I think the Japanese omnibus release of that also included all of the color pages). Solanin also has color pages, though I don't know which ones.

I can't see with 100% certaintity, but it's quite likely that there will be color pages in Viz's releases of 20th Century Boys and Pluto.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
So are the oversize volumes becoming the default for Viz seinen titles? I think Black Lagoon and Solanin are the same size height-wise (although, I don't know if Black Lagoon is considered part of the Signature Line or not), and judging from their prices, 20th Century Boys, Pluto, and Dogs will also be the same size.

I hope they also include color pages. A slightly higher price is no problem at all as long as the quality is good.
Agoston

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Hellkorn: Ah, okay thanks. I guess we'll have to wait and see?
Bahamut: Ughh, I'd like it better if Pluto and 20th Century Boys was the same size as the usual Viz titles. It'd be nice if they were the same height as Monster, those three would look nice next to each other Cool . Color pages are nice without a doubt, but when it's just the first ten or so pages I'd rather save a few dollars off each volume.
driverstart

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:51 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
driverstart wrote:
Also, due to money problems at my home, I'm restorting to having to sell some of my manga and a decent chunk of my anime. So, I'm not sure whether to sell either Cat Eyed Boy, Uzumaki (I'm thinking of selling it to a friend who likes the series), or solanin when I'm finished with it and if I didn't like it much.

... You've only read one chapter and are already thinking of SELLING Solanin?!

Anyway, I can't see it gaining much money.

Quote:
On a pleasant note, Amazon has the official cover art for the english release of 20th Century Boys Vol. 1-2. They look decent. However, I don't get why Viz has to sell each volume of the series, including Pluto and Oishinbo, for $12.99. That's a waste of my money for series I'm interested in.

HellKorn, I said I might sell it when I'm finished with and only if I didn't like it overall. If like the manga, I'll keep it.

As for the larger books, here is the thing. Printing quality never matters to me as long as I can read everything. I don't like larger books in my collection, they just stand out too much (Doesn't mean I hate them or dislike the series any less). As for color pages, I like to point out that some of the smaller mangas have had color pages in them. One entire chapter of Eyeshield 21 from volume 19 was in complete color and the opening pages for Uzumaki Vol. 1 were also in color as well. I just don't get it.

Agoston wrote:
Bahamut: Ughh, I'd like it better if Pluto and 20th Century Boys was the same size as the usual Viz titles. It'd be nice if they were the same height as Monster, those three would look nice next to each other Cool . Color pages are nice without a doubt, but when it's just the first ten or so pages I'd rather save a few dollars off each volume.

That's what I'm talking about and I agree with you a hundred precent. I want Pluto and 20th Century Boys the same height as Monster as well, they would so look nice to each other.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:
Ughh, I'd like it better if Pluto and 20th Century Boys was the same size as the usual Viz titles. It'd be nice if they were the same height as Monster, those three would look nice next to each other Cool . Color pages are nice without a doubt, but when it's just the first ten or so pages I'd rather save a few dollars off each volume.

I understand the desire to save money but I really don't get the idea that it's better to have everything mediocre but uniform than good but diverse.
I want the work to look its best. Isn't that more important than having perfectly level book heights on your shelves?

It's not as though novels, non-fiction or non-Japanese comics are all a standard size anyway, so how neat can your bookshelves be?

Hell, if we have to have everything looking the same, wouldn't it be better to have the bigger size / better paper that were the standard from Viz and Dark Horse back in the '90s and early '00s rather than have every publisher adhere to Tokyopop's lowest common denominator standards?

[Not picking on you in particular, Agonston - your post just seemed indicitive of a recent trend amongst manga readers on these boards and, for shame, at least one ANN reviewer.]
Highway Star

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with Hellkorn and Moomintroll. I'd kill someone if manga like Akira, No. 5, Yoshihiro Tatsumi's collections and Vertical's Tezuka manga were printed in the exact same style of Tokyopop's volumes.

Good art deserves bigger pages to appreciate it (much like galleries), but say something like Planetes, while it does have nice art, it's still fairly basic so I'm okay with it being a normal Tokyopop size volume.

And in some cases, manga deserves a hardback/slipcase/oversized printing if it's vintage, or an old classic, e.g. Red Colored Elegy, Adolf, Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossom.

The people who read Naruto (I'm using that as a representative of currently popular manga) aren't at all worried about how it's printed, all they care about is how fast it's released by Viz. They probably couldn't care less if Viz edited the cover to their liking (the way TP often does with many of their series...)
But people who prefer Seinen/Josei, or alternative/underground/vintage manga expect the volumes to get an honourable treatment. Fanfare are a great example; it's a pretty small company itself (mostly led by one man), and their catalog is fairly niche, but they print manga in really classy paper, slipcases, oversized editions because the manga deserves it or they wish to respect the author.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
So are the oversize volumes becoming the default for Viz seinen titles? I think Black Lagoon and Solanin are the same size height-wise

I don't have the Solanin release yet, but I would guess it's more of a similar size to Sexy Voice and Robo and Tekkon Kinkreet. I'd appreciate it if anyone who has it can confirm either way.

Quote:
(although, I don't know if Black Lagoon is considered part of the Signature Line or not)

The Signature Line is more or less reserved for manga titles that are atypical in subject matter and execution, and for more mature readers. Black Lagoon, regardless of one's opinion on it, doesn't fill either criteria (having adult content is not the same as maturity).

Agoston wrote:
Color pages are nice without a doubt, but when it's just the first ten or so pages I'd rather save a few dollars off each volume.

Excepting a couple of Vagabond volumes, the recent trend seems to be ALL of the color pages originally published, like I said. It wouldn't just be a few pages at the start of a volume.

driverstart wrote:
As for the larger books, here is the thing. Printing quality never matters to me as long as I can read everything.

That type of apathetic attitude is exactly why Tokyopop has gotten away with sub-par products, both in presentation and in adaption.

When you had Studio Proteus and pre-Shonen Jump Viz, there was constant attention to not only making the manga look as great as possible, there was also focus on making the translation flow well. Effort was put into dialogue, and sound effects and lettering were given individual voices. The paper stock was good, and the printing was never muddied and blurred, with few exceptions.

Tokyopop came along and essentially established a thought that it's okay if the presentation is half-assed as long as it's a few dollars cheaper.

Quote:
I don't like larger books in my collection, they just stand out too much (Doesn't mean I hate them or dislike the series any less).

Honest question here: do you collect any novels or non-Japanese comics?

Quote:
As for color pages, I like to point out that some of the smaller mangas have had color pages in them. One entire chapter of Eyeshield 21 from volume 19 was in complete color and the opening pages for Uzumaki Vol. 1 were also in color as well. I just don't get it.

But they don't have consistent color pages for longer series, and Uzumaki was essentially a re-release, and far shorter than most of the other series talked about.

Highway Star wrote:
I'd kill someone if manga like Akira [was] printed in the exact same style of Tokyopop's volumes.

The Akira release is also oversized in Japan, as well.

Can you even imagine trying to read that in a smaller release? You'd need to get a [expletive] magnifying glass to see the details that Otomo packs in the series.

Quote:
Good art deserves bigger pages to appreciate it (much like galleries), but say something like Planetes, while it does have nice art, it's still fairly basic so I'm okay with it being a normal Tokyopop size volume.

Shame the printing for Planetes is a miss.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:
So are the oversize volumes becoming the default for Viz seinen titles? I think Black Lagoon and Solanin are the same size height-wise

I don't have the Solanin release yet, but I would guess it's more of a similar size to Sexy Voice and Robo and Tekkon Kinkreet. I'd appreciate it if anyone who has it can confirm either way.

I thought it would get the Tekkon Kinkreet treatment too...but at least according to Amazon, it's actually slightly smaller than Black Lagoon. Solanin is 8.1 inches while BL is 8.3.
driverstart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
driverstart wrote:
I don't like larger books in my collection, they just stand out too much (Doesn't mean I hate them or dislike the series any less).

Honest question here: do you collect any novels or non-Japanese comics?

Novels? Yeah, I get my hands on Stephen King and Michael Crichton's novels if that's what you mean. As for non-Japanese comics, I only have Bone the Complete Series in my hands. I want to get some more comics, particularly Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on A Serious Earth and Marvel's Civil War, as well, but I just haven't found many that I want and the ones I do want I just can't find in stores in my area!
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
I don't get the problem really. If you dislike non-DVD size because of esthetics you can always put those volumes on different shelves.

I have many manga of different sizes and different sizes. Whatever doesn't fit next their standard size cousins is put on the other-shelves, which happen to be the most interesting shelves in my entire collection. On those shelves you'll find everything from Azumanga Daioh to Ode to Kirihito to With the Light. And then there is Five Star Stories with books so large I can only put them on top of my bookcase...

Now, I could put my Dutch editions of Monster and 20th Century Boys next to eachother, but I don't, because I prefer sorting my manga by title Razz
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

It's smaller than Sexy Voice and Tekkon Kinkreet - about the same size as Me And The Devil Blues (but with better paper and binding quality plus colour pages and French flaps).

Quote:
Shame the printing for Planetes is a miss.

True. But, curiously, they did use much better paper stock than usual.
driverstart

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
You maybe wondering, why I haven't said anything this month. Well, there hasn't been anything new for the Viz Signature line this month, so why bother talking? Anyhow, I was just checking out SimonSays and they mention some new titles that I never seen before so there could be a possbility that they may end up being part of the Signature line. I hope so, we need some new titles.

Here's everything I found, maybe you guys can figure out where they belong:
Ôoku: The Inner Chamber (Comes out in August)
Children of the Sea (Comes out in June and this title was made by Daisuke Igarashi and is also called The Sea Monster's Children I think)
Detroit Metal City (Comes out in June)
Dogs (Comes out in April. I think it might be for the regular line, but I'm not sure)

All of these titles, besides Children of the Sea which is $14.99, are $12.99. I mention these titles besides recently the Signature series is starting to release volumes at $12.99 or higher so I thought they could possibily be for Signature Line. As I said before, what do you guys think?
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Children of the Sea definitely looks to be a Signature title, and I can see Ōoku: The Inner Chamber being one too. DMC and Dogs seem more like regular titles in my eyes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10