• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anybody who didn't like it....cowboy bebop

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I know there are a lot of people out there who like the series as much as I do(LOVES It!). But do any of you dislike it? And if you do why?
Note: I don't want to start a flame war! I just want opinions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Though it is kinda old, there was a thread about this earlier.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5242
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:52 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Though it is kinda old, there was a thread about this earlier.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5242

Thanks. You saved me the trouble. Wink

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:49 pm Reply with quote
The show is ok. Emphasis on ok. The characters just don't really appeal to me at all. They're not that interesting. I may watch while its on tv once in a while, but I wouldn't bother owning it. Ironically enough, I really like Lupin III, and the charcters in that show were pretty much prototypes for the Cowboy Bebop cast.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:52 am Reply with quote
Great series,voice acting,music,martial art jeet-kwon-do fight scenes,comedy and pathos.

The ending, however was kinda sad.
Crying or Very sad

Nuff Said.
Glide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:03 am Reply with quote
Did that other guy just say he liked Lupin but not Bebop?
Right ¬_¬

Any way, in my personal opinion, every one and any one who does not like Cowboy Bebop, deserves to have there star fall from the sky, if you know what I mean.
Freddy C

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:45 am Reply with quote
im the out one out then huh? i didn't really like cowboy bebop, i gave it a 6.7 or something, that's above average in terms of my rating scale. but i was being unbiased, to b honest, id give this one 4.5 out of 10 because i thought it was below average.

i didn't really think the story was good, the characters are really what kept me watching this one, they were great. i just didn't see what the fuss is about with this, anyone else like me?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Freddy C wrote:
i didn't really think the story was good, the characters are really what kept me watching this one, they were great. i just didn't see what the fuss is about with this, anyone else like me?

For the most part, I agree Cowboy Bebop is episodic in that just about every episode was a new adventure each time, thus not much of a consistent central story. But yes, the characters are very interesting to watch. Not to mention the music was a treat for the ears.

I think the characters and the dubbing is what attracted me to it the most. And the music of course. Mr. Green (love that Yoko Kanno.)
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Right ¬_¬

Yup, not everyone worships this series. Spike and Jet are like Lupin and Jiggen minus the personality.
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Yup, not everyone worships this series. Spike and Jet are like Lupin and Jiggen minus the personality.

First of all I'd like to say that I'm also a huge (just take a look at my avatar Wink ) Lupin III fan and I know a lot it's connection with Cowboy Bebop. Having said that, I think that saying that Spike is Lupin without personality is a huge mistake. While they might wear the same shoes, Spike is much different character from Lupin. He has different ideals, goals (nevermind the fact that they are both greedy Razz ) and their outlook on life is very different. And by the way, to continue your logic, if Jet is based on Jigen (they do have similarities I'll give you that) than who's Ed based on? Goemon lol Laughing ? And Ein is not Zenigata lmao. I guess, what I'm trying to say is, Cowboy Bebop was inspired by more things than just Lupin (I suggest you check out the DVD of Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door for more information on that).

Needless to say, I really dig (that's the word I want to use) Cowboy Bebop but it took me a few "sessions" to really get into it. But I have to admit that I was a little disappointed by the Cowboy Bebop movie. It was good and I really liked it but I just felt that it wasn't as good as the series's best episodes.
Freddy C

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:57 pm Reply with quote
yea, that's what i felt like watching it, it's like the simpsons, which is what i call a filler series, where there are no or a few story based eps., CB had about 5-6 story based eps, the others were just like random adventures.
SSJ Ski

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I like bebop. It was the first Anime I bought with my own money, so it holds a special place. I like it alot more than trigun, but I think there are some better series out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Glide wrote:
Right ¬_¬

And what's wrong with that? Lupin's a quality series, and it can be said with relative certainty that had it not come along, your precious Bebop wouldn't be around.

I absolutely love Bebop, don't get me wrong. It's a wonderful series, though there are a few others I would say I like a whole lot more. However, I also adore Lupin, I hold it in high regard as a true anime classic, and I think it a little off that Bebop fanboys bash it when it can rightfully be considered Bebop's grandpappy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think it a little off that Bebop fanboys bash it when it can rightfully be considered Bebop's grandpappy.

Similar but even more pathetic was when all the Wing fans started attacking the original Mobile Suit Gundam. Its just ignorance. I'm not saying Cowboy Bebop is bad, or unoriginal, just not interesting to me personally. I really don't think its one of the best animes ever as some fanboys trumpet it. I think most Japanese fans wouldn't even bring it up as a contender for such a title. Yet, alot of North American fan's views are narrowed to what has been broadcast on Cartoon Network. Not that I don't love Cartoon Network or anything, but do your homework and try to control your fanboyism.
eva05

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:22 am Reply with quote
Well I really loved the series. There was a pretty strong central theme...I can relay it to you if you want (send me PM) and it was nice to have an ending like that. It brings me back to the good ol days when a series ended, it was time to spoiler[pay a visit to the graveyard].

Thought the movie was totally uneccessary. Really just cashing in on the franchise...

I mean it made for a long episode that didn't really add to the characters in any way that the series hadn't covered.

On a side note, I did like Lupin as well though I can't honestly say I see a whole lot of similarity. I didn't find the character personalities or relationships very similar?

j
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2