• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Soul Eater (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
episode 29

Well spoiler[she's back! I liked the set-up of the relationship between the two sisters, and I almost have this feeling they might end up taking each other out, leaving the demon god for the shibusen students. Medusa's return is going to cause the biggest problems for Stein and Crona, however. Stein gets closer and closer to joining her side every day, and we still don't know yet if Crona is beyond Medusa's manipulation--but I think not. ]

I wonder if Free is still alive? I bet he is.

I liked the lesson in the episode, and even though it was funny, I would have liked to have seen Stein make the switch of Oxford with Death the Kid after he realized that it wasn't going to work. And I would have liked to have seen them succeed after that! Tsubaki I can understand removing because her soul wavelength is apparently so compatible that she shouldn't have a problem resonating with others. I loved the learning aspect of the episode best, and wish there'd been more of a focus on it.

I'd like to see the characters start improving significantly at this point, but so far it seems that Black Star is the only one doing so. Next episode looks like fun but a bit useless at this stage in the game, with only 20 episodes left. I don't want the final arc to feel rushed.

And where the frick is the new OP??
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
And where the frick is the new OP??

Episode 31
xia83

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote
There's been alot of talk lately ( I noticed) on forums I frequent and so now i'm dying to see what all the fuss is about.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
episode 30

largely a waste of time, and the humor wasn't funny either. Usually the funniest character for me is Black Star, no matter how much I love Death the Kid and his excellent style.

The interesting part came near the end, with spoiler[DtK learning a tiny about about dad's ugly past. I'm sure it'll turn out to be some misunderstanding or shinigami's had a complete reform and is atoning for his sins blah blah blah. The ominous violins when DtK thought of Medusa, though...she's still way creepier than Arachne.]

The ED is addictive. I listened to the new OP song inserted in episode 29, and it was nice but just not as catchy as the first one...hopefully the animation will be killer. I can't wait!
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
new opening is out if anyone cares:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM8LURhyNfw

i don't know how this show can possibly end, cause so far it's following the manga perfectly.
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i don't know how this show can possibly end, cause so far it's following the manga perfectly.

And the OP shows that they will continue to do so...
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
episode 31

ugh. well you knew it was coming, but I could have written this episode. The whole build-up of spoiler["Crona, we're your best friends" only for Crona to have to betray everyone at that moment...it couldn't have been more shounen cliche. Really, it couldn't have.]

While I'm on this rant, I might as well say that the next episode looks like a total waste of time. I expect everything to start picking up soon though as we move into the final arc. The new OP...meh. I like the animation. The song is too poppy, and too whiny and girly for an action show. I'm still IN LOVE with the ED.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Yes... at first the ED was like... errr what? But then, it just hooks you on. So wierd o__O

The OP is meh. I liked the old one better.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I hope it turns out that spoiler[Chrona has a bit of hidden steel in his/her spine. Otherwise this is going to be very disappointing. I'm still bummed that Medusa lives. I think she should've died. I've never been a fan of the eternal "they're not quite dead yet!" of comic book characters.]

The next episode looks completely awful; I'll check back here or AoDVD later and see if it's even worth bothering with.
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
For what it's worth, unlike the last Excalibur episode, the next episode is actually based on the manga.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sure it'll turn out to be some misunderstanding or shinigami's had a complete reform and is atoning for his sins blah blah blah.

I don't think that's it. My take on it is that spoiler[Eibon himself wasn't a bad guy, he was just a "scientist", and bad people used his tools for evil purposes, so he got a bad rep, like Dr. Guillotine or Mr. Gattling. I also bet that he was integral in creating the "Reaper weapons" like Soul and Deathscythe (although they've really done a poor job of explaining why some people can just turn into random weapons at will).]
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure it'll turn out to be some misunderstanding or shinigami's had a complete reform and is atoning for his sins blah blah blah.

I don't think that's it. My take on it is that spoiler[Eibon himself wasn't a bad guy, he was just a "scientist", and bad people used his tools for evil purposes, so he got a bad rep, like Dr. Guillotine or Mr. Gattling. I also bet that he was integral in creating the "Reaper weapons" like Soul and Deathscythe (although they've really done a poor job of explaining why some people can just turn into random weapons at will).]

I disagree on part of that. It's not just that some people can or can't transform, it's that some people are weapons the same way others are humans. I want to say it's a species thing, but I think that has something to do with not being able to reproduce between species, which obviously happens. Not sure about that one, though.

Based of what has been said, it seems spoiler[the first Demon Weapon was created when Arachne somehow fed a soul to weapon. It was probably forced to absorb the soul as opposed to eating it, unless it had already been modified to be able to take in souls beforehand.] That's partially speculation, spoiler[but it has been stated that Arachne made the first weapon.]

The idea of Shinigami-sama having been part of that creation process is very interesting, however. It's a possibility, at least.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Yup, episode 32 was largely a waste of time.

This episode DID reveal the school's strongest triumvirate spoiler[Black Star, Death the Kid, and...a black kid with two weapons. I forget his name. I'm a bit confused-if Maka was this close to making Soul a Death Scythe at the beginning of the series, how is she not in the strongest three of the school?]

Next episode on the other hand, looks GOOD. I always love the "lesson" episodes, and now that the series should start to get serious as it approaches its final arc, the stakes are going to be higher. spoiler[Looks like Maka's going to have some character-building and trouble pretty soon]
Zoe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
This episode DID reveal the school's strongest triumvirate spoiler[Black Star, Death the Kid, and...a black kid with two weapons. I forget his name. I'm a bit confused-if Maka was this close to making Soul a Death Scythe at the beginning of the series, how is she not in the strongest three of the school?]

spoiler[All depends on how you define strength. Those three are the power-houses while people like Maka and Ox provide the brains and strategy.]

And the black kid is Kirikou. Most people call him 'Kilik' though Sad
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised to see no info up on the main site yet...apparently Funi is taking down videos from Veoh and YT because they licensed the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 26